Pioneer VSX-D1S

problem fixed.. I found another babied D1S on craigslist.. picked it up, Hooked it up, Back to rich sound! I'm a bit on the sour side about some digital research speakers i adopted.. great bass but lacks power on the high end.. tested the speakers watching Army of Darkness and listening to Rammstein.. but im hella happy again to have a good theatre setup.

problem fixed.. I found another babied D1S on craigslist.. picked it up, Hooked it up, Back to rich sound! I'm a bit on the sour side about some digital research speakers i adopted.. great bass but lacks power on the high end.. tested the speakers watching Army of Darkness and listening to Rammstein.. but im hella happy again to have a good theatre setup.

I'm not clear about something. Is it the amp that you're unhappy with or the speakers?

Cheers!

speakers.. i am planning on going back to my boston acoustics.. slightly smaller but far clearer sound.

I had a problem trying to use this receiver this weekend.

I realized my mom and dad have this receiver as I was visiting them for the holiday weekend. My dad bought the components a very long time ago. They have 2 JBL L5 front speakers, and 2 in-ceiling rear speakers (don't know the brand) as well as the "B" speakers that go to other rooms in the house, but it was not connected to their DirecTV so I decided to fix this for them.

I got it working and it sounds great. but I noticed they did not have a center channel speaker so I brought over a speaker I had. I tried everything, but could net get it to work. No sound whatsoever. I plug the same speaker into another channel, and no problems. I made sure to switch the modes for the center channel, but still nothing using the Test Tone.

I don't know much about audio systems, but I do know that no speakers have ever been connected to the center channel so how could it have blown? Could it have anything to do with the I and II (see picture of stock unit) and having to wire it a certain way? Any thoughts? Is it even worth adding a center channel with a receiver this old?

They have "Mode 1" selected.

VSX-D1S482.jpg

I don't know much about audio systems, but I do know that no speakers have ever been connected to the center channel so how could it have blown? Could it have anything to do with the I and II (see picture of stock unit) and having to wire it a certain way? Any thoughts? Is it even worth adding a center channel with a receiver this old?

They have "Mode 1" selected.

Mode 1 has nothing to do with it (read back a few messages for my description of the modes); do you have it set to a surround type that uses the center channel? (Try 3 channel ProLogic.) Did you have it connected to the right terminals? Is the center channel volume turned up?

Yes, I tried all of the different surround types. In addition, I tried connecting to the terminals labeled as I and then I tried it again with the terminals labeled as II. Still nothing. Only thing I suppose I didn’t try specifically is turning the center channel volume up as I do not know of any place to control this channel specifically other than the Master Volume.

Also, make sure that the jumper for the centre amp is not missing. Reseat it if it is there.

Is the jumper the the black piece in the picture I posted? I just checked the receiver and it is missing. Would this cause the problem? If so, is this a piece I can easily find somewhere?

Just use a cable.

That was my instinct, so I tried it and still the speaker didn't work. I took out one of the other jumpers temporarily and stuck it in and the speaker came to life - so that was definitely the issue. Is a cable supposed to work just the same?

It sure shouldn't! I can't imagine why a jumper would make a difference.

Hah, I'll tell you why: dumb user.

LOL. It would help if you plugged in the two ends of the SAME cable to both connectors. :D

Thanks for the help and sorry for being so dense!

Just bought a mint condition D1S for $75

After reading the many positive comments about the VSX-D1S on this forum as well as others, I decided that I needed to purchase one of these...if I could locate one for a fairly reasonable price.

Well, a guy posted an ad on the local craigslist a number of weeks ago selling his D1S. In addition to the receiver, he was including the original box, owner's manual, the original CU-VSX014 remote, and another remote, a CU-AV100. I didn't see the ad for a number of weeks, but I just happened to stumble upon it when I was searching for "Pioneer." As soon as I saw it, I shot off a message to him. And now I am the proud owner of an absolutely cherry D1S, and I paid only 75 bucks for it. Yay! I just can't believe that someone else in this large metropolitan area (3 million +) didn't snatch it up first. Oh well. As they always say...you snooze, you lose! :)

I couldn't be happier. I have a dedicated home theater setup as well as too many other 2-channel and surround receivers to name. But I love dinkin' around with "new" A/V equipment (well, new to me anyway). And this D1S is a real keeper in my book! It's one of the best sounding receivers I've heard in a very long time (better even than my Sony GX900ES, which I am very fond of).

After reading the many positive comments about the VSX-D1S on this forum as well as others, I decided that I needed to purchase one of these...if I could locate one for a fairly reasonable price.

Well, a guy posted an ad on the local craigslist a number of weeks ago selling his D1S. In addition to the receiver, he was including the original box, owner's manual, the original CU-VSX014 remote, and another remote, a CU-AV100. I didn't see the ad for a number of weeks, but I just happened to stumble upon it when I was searching for "Pioneer." As soon as I saw it, I shot off a message to him. And now I am the proud owner of an absolutely cherry D1S, and I paid only 75 bucks for it. Yay! I just can't believe that someone else in this large metropolitan area (3 million +) didn't snatch it up first. Oh well. As they always say...you snooze, you lose! :)

I couldn't be happier. I have a dedicated home theater setup as well as too many other 2-channel and surround receivers to name. But I love dinkin' around with "new" A/V equipment (well, new to me anyway). And this D1S is a real keeper in my book! It's one of the best sounding receivers I've heard in a very long time (better even than my Sony GX900ES, which I am very fond of).

I live in the LA area and the replacement was 50miles away.. it was well worth the drive for $35. After having it for a few months and replacing the boston acoustics with a pair of donated fischer speakers.. i am getting way rich sound from the receiver. I must warn you the unit gets hot so keep it well vented. But for a early 90s beast it gives 5.1like sound.

Does anybody have an unneeded working remote for vsx-d1s pioneer? I still use mine in the home theater setting but some of the most frequently used buttons stopped functioning.

Remote for vsx-d1s pioneer?

I too purchased a VSX-D1s brand new back in I think 1991, it did cost about $1400, mine unfortunately had a run in with a 110 outlet thru the fm antenna and went up in smoke!! It was a great receiver I liked the way you could bypass any of the internal amps with external ones if you chose to. Also haven't seen many (if any) receivers that would allow you to adjust your video signal thru the receiver. Hook a vcr or laser disc thru it, press a button and the Pioneer brought up a split screen where you could adjust the picture on one side and compare it to the non adjusted picture on the other side!! I still have the original manual if anyone would like me to scan any parts of it, also have the remote, hell had the original box up until a year or so ago. It is a great receiver would still be using it if it was still working.

If you still have the functioning remote for VSX-D1s and do not need it, I would like to have it. Thank you.

want to buy ads are FREE in the classifieds....

read the rules.... you can edit your posts.... before an admin or mod notices....

Last edited:
I just picked up a d1s and have a question about repairs on it. The volume control is not working. The red light does not come on the volume knob either. After taking the case off, I can see the circuit board connected to the volume control is cracked in half. Can this be fixed? Worth it? Any suggestions on where to go from here? Everything else is working properly on the unit.

Back
Top Bottom