Pizza crust recipe?

I was tempted to get a pizza kit for the kettle. (It is essentially an insert with a slot in the side of it, and other accessories.) I may do that next year after I upgrade the kettle (going to get a Performer Deluxe). Not quite the Neapolitan method but for us it will be plenty close enough, and we don't have pizza all that often. :)

This is what i use for 90 second grill pies. Dough recipe at bottom, included the rest in case anyone is interested.

I've been up and down and around the block on grilling pizzas. I've tried propane, charcoal, big green egg, and just about every gizmo on the block.

I'm going to preface this post with the fact that I can't get enough Neapolitan style pizza and there are very few places in Ohio that do it well. The last good one I had was at Bono To Go, tucked away between Grandview and UA in the side of a convenience store...I'll also say the right way to make these is in a properly-designed wood fired oven, but below is how you achieve similar oven conditions on a grill.

1) Start with a Weber 18.5" kettle grill (you can go bigger if you want...)
2) Cut a 11" diameter hole out of the bottom.
3) Place some ceramic briquettes on top of the bottom shelf in the grill.
4) Place a 17" kiln shelf pressed pressed against the front of the grill on the top shelf.
5) Bolt the ash catcher in an inverted position on the interior of the lid. You will need to drill a few holes.
6) Cut a slot about 1.5x10 inches in the lid (see picture).
7) Place the main grill on a 150k BTU propane burner.
8) Fire that thing up and let it heat for about 20 minutes.
9) Using an IR thermometer measure the temperature of the stone. When it reads 725-750 F you are good to go.
10) In the meantime you will have need to have made your dough and have it ready to go. My current recipe is:
700 g Caputo 00 Flour
300 g Giustos AP Flour
640 g filtered water
50 g San Luis Obispo Sourdough starter
15 g sea salt
I mix roughly, rest 20 minutes, mix again for about 10 minutes by hand, windowpane test, rest 3 hours at room temp, divide and ball, cold ferment for 2-3 days and pull 2 hours prior to use and leave at room temp. 7 oz dough balls make 10" pies.

View attachment 1001593 View attachment 1001596

Impressive. The Kettlepizza kit with the baking steel can get to 1000* according to one reviewer, but that takes 12 lbs of charcoal and hardwood. Plus the kit is $400. 750* with propane is very, very good. How long does it take to get to temp? Can we get a pic of inside the lid?

Last edited:
I was tempted to get a pizza kit for the kettle. (It is essentially an insert with a slot in the side of it, and other accessories.) I may do that next year after I upgrade the kettle (going to get a Performer Deluxe). Not quite the Neapolitan method but for us it will be plenty close enough, and we don't have pizza all that often. :)

Watch the plastic lid rollers. The Pizzakettle with the baking steel gets hot enough to melt them.

Jeff Varazano became famous in the mid 2000's for his website that thoroughly details how to produce legit Naples style pizza at home... he now has a successful chain of artisan pizzerias in the Atlanta area

http://www.varasanos.com/pizzarecipe.htm

http://www.varasanos.com/

View attachment 963423 View attachment 963424
I ate at the airport Varasanos and was impressed. I'm a big fan of Anticos as well.

Watch the plastic lid rollers. The Pizzakettle with the baking steel gets hot enough to melt them.
Ouch! I will still have my old kettle around (useful for parties), so it might be better to use that one if I mess around with a kit.

Good plan for sure. I'm thinking of getting an 18" to modify as above.
I couldn't cut up a Weber (unless it were an older used model). But I'd have no problem doing that with one of the cheap off brand grills. ;) I would probably prefer one of the add on kits for the larger 22 inch grill since there is more working room, and I tend to be clumsy. I probably would be more serious about it if we had pizza regularly, but usually it's once a month, and we get take-out since we're tired of cooking. :D

I agree concentrating the heat in a smaller kettle is the way to go. An 18" jumbo Joe, 16 1/2" stone and a burner would only run me about $150 on Amazon! Many moons ago I used to have the big 36" Ranch Kettle. I had a SS griddle made for it by one of the dads and using a DIY burner I could do breakfast on it for 20 at Indian Princess/Guides campouts. Game on!

Never tried it, but a friend says many pizza places will also sell you dough to go.
There's a few places around here that go by the name of 'Just Pizza' that sell dough to go, and their pizza is awesome:rockon:
Here is a nice writeup with pics I found on the web.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144075
Man, that looks so good I could literally smell the pizza when I looked at the pics!..and no, I'm not exaggerating either

Never tried it, but a friend says many pizza places will also sell you dough to go.
Our local market has their own pizza dough, plus I am pretty sure our local pizza place sells it as well. He sells the pizza pans that he makes the pizzas in (kind of a Detroit tradition--the original Detroit-style pizza, a la Buddy's Rendezvous, was baked in the same type of metal parts bins that were used at the auto factories back in the mid-century).

OooohhhhKaaaayyyy just remember you asked for this,LOL. ;)

My Pizza dough:

3 to 3 1/2 cups high gluten flour (12% protein or higher)
3/4 to 1 cup water (warm)
1 tbsp. oil (olive oil or vegetable oil)
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt

Bret P.

Hey Bret,

Most recipes, using 3 to 3 1/2 cups flour call for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups of water, I'm curious as to why your recipe calls for less? or was that a typo?

Here's hoping your still subscribed to this thread

Zero's recipe is hard to beat. (I use a 1/2 tsp honey rather than sugar) However a tiny bit of side advice, the key as he points out is, moisture needs to be just right and that comes from experience. It will vary from winter to summer. High gluten- don't forget that. My son gave me a lodge pizza cast iron griddle. I preheat it- make the pizza on parchment paper on a cookie sheet then slide it on the griddle. The oven is at 500 - top rack, and 8 minutes it's perfect. Cheese- I bought 5 different provolone's did a blind taste test with the family. It doesn't matter which one won because it's from Wisconsin and you are in some other part of the country, but it's loaded with flavor!

Thanks Lux Man, I see we not only have good taste in Pizza but also in gear. Proud owner of a Luxman M-2000, R-115 w/Remote and permaloaned R-1040 along.

I'm still trying to figure out if the amount of water he suggests is correct or a typo? doesn't seem like it's enough.

I’ve had much better results with my pizza dough lately after switching to King Arthur bread flour and letting the dough rise for at least 4 hours before you make your pizza.

Back
Top Bottom