Please critique my vintage set up... Thanks!

Welcome- Gear sounds good, the H/K receiver is a nice start. Probably could really improve the sound with better speakers. Speakers really make the biggest difference in a budget system.
Lots of recommendations can be found here, something with good efficiency would be a plus. If your into the building mode, a pair of Econowave Large Advents might not be a bad chioce. A few more watts would be nice, but that H/K reciever should do them justice.
Another choice might be a nice set of DLK 1 1/2's, they can be found fairly cheap, and work well with lower power setups. Great bass, and nice imaging for the price.

Last edited:
What we snobs thing makes no difference, it is what you hear, like and dislike. We a started with something and many look back at those first systems with fond memories and others with disgust. Only time will tell where you will camp.

H/K has a lot of fans and the receiver is probably the best component of the system.

The Technics turntable? The only real criticism of the SL-QD3 is that it's a p-mount tonearm, which limits your choice of cartridges. Otherwise, it looks like it has very nice wow/flutter and rumble specs, only surpassed by the expensive and massive SL-M1, M2 and MA-1. (information from the Vintage Technics Database).

Akai speakers are probably the weakest link in the chain. Akai was known for tape recorders, then receivers/amps. Speakers were a sideline. It's still a reputable brand, though. But since speakers are so much a matter of individual taste, what counts most is that you like them. I have a pair of Pioneer CS-103 speakers that are "statement" speakers - the statement they make is "cheap!!" - but I like the sound of the things, possibly because some unsung genius at Pioneer actually achieved reasonably well balanced frequency response with dirt cheap drivers, and some kind of half-assed crossover.

I'd be leery of speaker power ratings; I tend to simply follow the rule of thumb of not turning the volume control past the 1 o'clock position for phono input, 10-11 o'clock for other line level inputs, such as CD's.

Welcome to AK.
Instead of an opinion; I am going to give you some advice on your system.

Before you form an opinion on what you own, make sure your stereo is performing at its best.

First, your turntable, it should be on the sturdiest least resonate surface you have. Using a level on the platter, level your turntable. Check your cartridge’s tracking weight.
Next your receiver, buy some contact cleaner, remove the cover and spray all the controls well you twist them. Clean all the inputs and outputs. Clean all your connector ends.
Last the speakers, strive to have your listening position center between your speakers. Most speakers perform best away from boundaries, this means away from the walls behind them and beside them. Try not to have a lot of heavy furniture between them, and use stands.

Again, welcome to Audiokarma.
:music:

Back
Top Bottom