1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Please Explain Your Love of Vintage Gear

Discussion in 'Vintage Gear - Top Performers' started by Route 66, Sep 28, 2018.

1. SaSi

SaSi Seriously Illogical Subscriber

OK, when I opened up this thread again, this is not what I expected to see. :jump:

Chosemerv likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. lbls1

lbls1 Well-Known Member

The adage of "They don't make them like they used to" certainly applies to vintage HiFi equipment. In my opinion, certain areas are more prone to this sentiment than others. I happen to think that modern amplifiers and receivers are at least on par with the very best vintage units, with the added benefit of being new and without the usage and age of vintage components. Much of the same opinion I also hold for speakers and cd players. The main reason for this is because these components are still currently in use and shopped for (although the market has shrunk significantly for home hi fi equipment). What is missing in today's equipment and market is a wide variety of examples of hi fi equipment. In the past decades, there were once retailing outlets that would feature hi fidelity equipment for shoppers to compare. In the present time, that retail presence is all but gone, save for a scant few retailers that may feature hi fi equipment with television, video and computer components.

The greatest difference in vintage equipment IMO are with turntables and analog tape machines. It is in these segments that a large difference in quality and variety exists. Although there has been a renewed interest in vinyl and analog machines, the interest has only spurred growth in small segments dedicated to affordable "vintage" replicas and mostly low quality equipment. There are one or two exceptions, but some of those exceptions are priced out of reach of many consumers.

Chosemerv likes this.
  3. Roadrash

Roadrash AK Subscriber Subscriber

I can afford nice vintage gear. Contemporary gear that would outperform my main system? Probably not.

Chosemerv likes this.
  4. Dreadlock

Dreadlock New Member

Vintage gear is eye Candy.
    Vintage is user friendly
    Vintage means straightforward high quality of build and execution
    Vintage means cheap second,third....hand market
    Vintage means inexpensive rotation of the eyecandy
    Vintage means nostalgia for us a bit older who collected broshures and read them late at night before going to school
    Vintage means to revive a dream from when you were a Kid. All the top notch equipment is finally affordable.
    Vintage can be repaired easily, because there is massive backup on the internetz.
    Vintage compels to take care of your gear and learn from experience.
    Vintage sound in your living room is like a buddy who likes to give out hugs, suspecting that he might be homosexual.

There are 1000 more reasons why

CWG66, Chosemerv and HarmanKardon like this.
  5. HarmanKardon

HarmanKardon Tubes still smell funny Subscriber

Vintage gear is the love of my life. Nothing less.

6. onepixel

onepixel .

It can be funky cool and sound freakin' awesome.

American_Carver_iPod.jpg

Mark B likes this.

7. Dreadlock

Dreadlock New Member

A crocodile clamp holding a High Rez player infront of what ? Preamp ? I Like. Its an art installation and center of the party

8. onepixel

onepixel .

Modded American SP-4 tube amp, Carver C2 preamp and 6th generation iPod Nano. I am an artist.

Dreadlock likes this.
  9. Dreadlock

Dreadlock New Member

Suddenly felt the urge to do something alike you did. I have this Fiio player X5 laying on top of the cover of my gorgeous Akai reciver (70`s) FiiO doing the HighRez duties ( With aplomb) But it looks like the most obvious lazy way of neglecting the chance of creating eye candy between the 70´s and 2010´s
    I like your solution very much. Its StarTrek meeting Frankenstein Lab. Next week im expecting the big brother Akai AA-1050 wich i bought recent. Im very much into your concept.

10. Dreadlock

Dreadlock New Member

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  11. onepixel

onepixel .

I've had a ton of gear over the years. Part of the fun is trying what works with what.

A more elegant combination.

[​IMG]

12. Dreadlock

Dreadlock New Member

My very much Illuminated baby, just turned 45 years old, nothing done with it. Pure original stock. It is voiced EXACTLY like my 15 year old Audion Sterling MK2 Plus Valve Amp with top notch Golden Lion Tubes (300$ smackers), less than 500 hours running time. I couldent believe it. I gave out over 2000$ for this. I bought the Akai second hand for 45$ . A real eye opener. A real babe not to be forgotten in the world of mighty overweight champions ( * cough* Marantz * cough again Sansui * Trippel*cough* Harman Kardon). Shes a quiet well spoken ballerina in the company of heroic brutes who demand high dollar figures just to keep up with the competition. Ready to take on any challenge in esoteric valve "Magic" and my ballerina would crush the majority of them. Literally.
    Akai AA -1030.

Akai AA -1030.jpg

13. maxhifi

maxhifi AK Subscriber Subscriber

1. Vintage gear (especially speakers) can be bought for pennies on the dollar, and can represent excellent performance for the dollar spent.

2. Vintage gear is a collectible in its own right, and brings with it the design of the era in which it was made.

3. Vintage gear performs in a way which is different from modern equipment. You may prefer it, or you may not. It definitely can sound wonderful though.

Think of it like old cars... a 2018 Toyota Corolla will outperform a 1965 Ford Mustang in every objective way, but if you were to pick one to drive up the pacific coast highway, which would you rather have?

Route 66 likes this.
  14. Dreadlock

Dreadlock New Member

To our younger accolades ready to dive into this life-time hobby.
    The Vintage second hand market is a perfect spot to explore and harvesting experience. We old guyed human sapiens usually have a rule of thumb. If its made in the beginning of 1980`s . Watch out ! That is the time when the electronic amplifier built started to use IC -circuits ( In full: Integrated Circuit) , because mass production made it cheap to implement the IC into the signal path of the amp. Imo. Absolutely crap. The 80`s consumer mass produced amps are total crap Imo. There are exceptions ofcourse , but beware of "high end" brands that use the IC , its not always obvious, Some advertise it as a good thing. A good thing for the manufacturer who pays cents for a IC to put into their designs. A classic example , you get less quality in the 80´s ( And a potential unservicable machine) for the same price that youvé paid in the 70`s.

70`s audio amps are very much serviceable. Learn some basic soldering technique, learn to read a circuit diagram, get yourself a multimeter and learn how to do basic ABC with your newly purchased 70`s amp. Correcting the Bias -current for example according to spec given in the manual, maybe change a couple of capacitors inline. Cleaning the I/O of every connector f.ex.

15. WillVT

WillVT Super Member

About the only things I buy new are socks and underwear. :biggrin:

I think audio gear doesn't age in the way a lot of people not familiar with hifi think. A 40 year old receiver can easily perform right alongside a modern receiver, in terms of sound quality. A lot of consumer products people are familiar with age much differently. Think of cell phones. The first iphone launched only 11 years ago, in 2007. I'm not sure you could even get an iphone 1 to work properly today. Cars are similar. A 15-20 year old regularly used car is usually considered near the end of it's life.

People who are only familiar with consumer products that become obsolete so quickly, would assume that vintage hifi gear must be similarly useless and worthless, and not sound nearly as good as today's tech.

Maybe the fact that the purpose of hifi gear hasn't really changed over the years has something to do with it. It just makes music.

baconbadge likes this.
  16. guiller

guiller Toscaninichus Australis

I wouldn´t say I "love" vintage gear, but rather "good" gear. The best I can afford, that is! I like new good gear a lot, but it tends to cost more than I could afford. Anyhow, over the years I´ve been able to have a set up that is mostly composed by good modern gear and I like it a lot.

17. dondoucette

dondoucette AK Subscriber Subscriber

When I was younger my friend Louis and I used to visit a high end audio store on a regular basis. I fell in love with a lot of the gear from back then and wished I could afford some of it. Now that I’m a lot older I can afford some of the gear I lusted for 30-40 years ago. I’ve not had the time or inclination since those days to look at nor listen to new gear and therefore have not formed any emotional attachments.

Oh sure I would love to own some Krell or Pass Labs but my old ears are not worth the investment, better to put a down payment on a rental property instead.

Roadrash likes this.
  18. swamppirate

swamppirate Addicted Member

19. CWG66

CWG66 New Member

I have a 2018 Corolla....I'd definitely prefer the '65 Stang.
    :D

20. CWG66

CWG66 New Member

Like many other things that are manufactured these days, stereo components under a certain price seem to be made to be disposable. If it dies, throw it away and buy a new one. This was not the case during the 60's and 70's. Components were often built to last. Many components were built in either the U.S. or Japan with good parts and quality control. Once the 80's arrived and cheaper methods for building audio equipment were introduced(as well as less expensive and less quality control oriented manufacturing plants) affordable but inferior components were flooding the marketplace.
    And IMO they never again made audio components as beautiful and as sonically pleasing as the ones who went before.
    As with many other things (I'm looking at you...all you Entertainment exec's who don't have a fresh idea in their bodies so instead retread shows and films from the past, usually not well)everything old is new again.
    Nostalgia for the things of our youth has never been higher....nor have the prices for vintage gear. :(