Please show your pics of tube amps

Good afternoon from Greece!! My latest build RH 120 amp,finished at 7 july,take me 3 months to finish. This amp sounds perfectly especially with kt120 tubes!

Nice work xenofon. And welcome to AK, though you've been here a while. The fon part of your moniker is a good joke, but you are not a xenos here. :)

A larger view of my avatar. This rig was Don Sachs (McShane's tech) personal unit. Has every upgrade and then some. Trying to figure what I want to do for a permanent preamp, currently just using a completely restored (Pat Font) Marantz 2230. I know, blasphemy. Still licking my wounds from the Deuce-zilla purchase though.

deuce_zilla_scaled down.jpg

A larger view of my avatar. This rig was Don Sachs (McShane's tech) personal unit. Has every upgrade and then some. Trying to figure what I want to do for a permanent preamp, currently just using a completely restored (Pat Font) Marantz 2230. I know, blasphemy. Still licking my wounds from the Deuce-zilla purchase though.

View attachment 766511
You could do a lot worse than a 2230 as a pre. :thumbsup:

Most of my pictures went away with the new format, but some did survive.

Not my favorite by a long shot, but they cleaned up nicely. ST-70s

index.php

Couple of Mc 75 watt mono's. These are my 5th favorite sounding amps.

index.php

Oh yeah, one of my two deuces.

index.php

Baldwin Fisher frankenamp. Nothing short of a miracle that it works. I'd like to gut it someday and put some DC Gillespie circuits in it.

4 Mac MC 275`s reissues, each in the mono mode, doing duty for the highs and mids of a set of Mac XRT 30 speaker system.. No close up pic of the, restored by me Mac MC 60 mono block driving the matching center channel speaker above the 275s.. I also have 2 sets of restored and upgraded Dynaco Mk IIIs, (2) recently, also by me electronically restored Mac MC 30`s, MC 225, & ARC D76A that I rotate through the Sunroom`s DQ 10/Velodyne ULD 15 powered sub woofer setup.. No closeup pics of those tube amps yet. I don`t use my living room`s fire place, so I cleaned it out years ago andDSCN0035.JPG and put the Sunroom tube amps in there when I rotate them so all the waste heat can vent outside.. Glowing tube filaments in the firebox can look visibly close to burning wood embers, and helps to keep my NE. FL. A/C from running so much, especially running the ARC D76A with it`s butt load of tubes.. Enjoy the music.. Regards, OKB

4 Mac MC 275`s reissues, each in the mono mode, doing duty for the highs and mids of a set of Mac XRT 30 speaker system.. No close up pic of the, restored by me Mac MC 60 mono block driving the matching center channel speaker above the 275s.. I also have 2 sets of restored and upgraded Dynaco Mk IIIs, (2) recently, also by me electronically restored Mac MC 30`s, MC 225, & ARC D76A that I rotate through the Sunroom`s DQ 10/Velodyne ULD 15 powered sub woofer setup.. No closeup pics of those tube amps yet. I don`t use my living room`s fire place, so I cleaned it out years ago andView attachment 916289 and put the Sunroom tube amps in there when I rotate them so all the waste heat can vent outside.. Glowing tube filaments in the firebox can look visibly close to burning wood embers, and helps to keep my NE. FL. A/C from running so much, especially running the ARC D76A with it`s butt load of tubes.. Enjoy the music.. Regards, OKB
Update !! FWIW.. I stumbled across a picture of my recently(last year) "electronically restored" Mac MC 30`s waiting for their turn in rotation into the fireplace for six months.. Cosmetically they look "sorta rough", at least the top of the chrome chassis is very heavily pitted.. But when I bought them used in 1974 while living in Miami FL. they where already badly pitted from the prevalent salt encrusted air, as exposed by the previous owner`s desire to live with his windows open for portions of the year !! But I didn`t care, for they were electronically intact internally and priced cheap.. And I was all about the sound(function before form).. I listen to music, not look at my equipment.. As long as my stereo gear functions at factory spec. or often better, after I rework it, and sounds good to my ears("sonic woody")--- then, if it also looks factory fresh, well then that`s even better .. Showcasing my gear is not needed, nor sought in my "Listening environments" No Significant other, or such to appease.. For you sharp eyed Mac individuals whom might notice that these MC 30s have no "Rectum frying tubes"( AKA.cap cookers), well --- your peepers have not failed you.. I refuse to use any rectifier tubes(especially when mounted top side near chassis mounted FP style multi-section capacitors) in any "music reproducing" tube amplifiers that I own.. Now, my "music creating/producing" vintage guitar tube amps-- well, that`s a different audio compression animal !! And I have been doing it my way for nearly 40 years and making a good living while doing it too.. YMMV, as well as your tastes, in reproduced music dynamics through tube rectified music "reproducing" power amp tube amplification, and that fine.. To each his own.. I`m not throwing down a Gauntlet !! Just "my way" and opinion.. Enjoy the music, after all, isn`t that what it`s really all about ? :thumbsup: :music:, DSCN0040.JPG no matter what your method !?!? Regards, OKB

Back
Top Bottom