Plinius Inspires

newworld

I've always had British speakers for as long as I remember. While moving from Harbeth to Proac over the years, my amplifiers have been a bit more varied. I remember my first amplifier Roksan Kandy that did everything well but nothing great, Primare I30 that was smooth and powerful, Atoll IN100SE that was incisive and warm at the same time, and more recently Naim Supernait 2 and Exposure 2010S2D. None, however, prepared me for the sound I'm hearing as I type.

Plinius Inspire 880.

I'm a victim of my own doing for often staying in my comfort zone and only seeking widely reviewed gear. But no longer. The way it looks, distinctly Plinius, was what captured my attention to start with. It's svelte in black, but stunning in silver. And the music pours out of my speakers! I'm transfixed and involved at the same time. I had no idea that my speakers could sound this way. I wish I can tell you that what amount of detail can be heard or how punchy it is. It's not about how it sounds way above its class. It's more than that. I'm lost in music.

If I were forced to compare with other amplifiers, I would say that it sounds more like a Class A than not, purer than many British amplifiers can only dream of, and more natural than most that I've heard. The DAC within the unit is a bonus, not an afterthought, expanding on its versatility.

The Plinius, in its quiet confidence, has not only settled comfortably in my living room, but also opened my mind to look beyond the flavor-of-the-month thrown at my way. I hope that some of you will get a chance to be acquainted with it. It will be worth it.

Did you pick it up at Echo? Good deal on those right now. What speakers are you running with it?

Yeah I did. Drop by and give it a listen. Music is literally pouring out of my Proac Tablette 10's right now.

I'm breaking in a new amp at present. If it doesn't work out I may just. However this amp I have is breaking in wonderfully. Started slow and is now in overdrive. I am really interested in the Tablette 10's.

The Tab 10's are speakers for life. They sound great regardless of placement, which is a far more important criteria than many people realize.

I saw your thread on Belles Aria. That amplifier was on my radar briefly but quickly forgotten, once again due to my ignorance. I would love to hear it sometime.

I just had the NAD C368 in place of my Plinius. You get what you paid for!

Just moved back to the Plinius after two days of agony with the NAD C368. What a relief! Music is flowing again.

I don’t know how they compare but I had my eye on a used Hautonga for a bit.
Glad you’re enjoying yours, looks like a great amp.

Thanks. I'm sure you are not missing much with your fantastic Luxman. I will never forget the Luxman CD player I had once heard. Pure music. For now, baby Plinius is keeping me happy.

Further tinkering resulted in small changes to the setup today. As baby Plinius threw the sound so far left and right, the speakers were brought in a bit closer together. Also, the woofers were moving noticeably more than usual, so the rubber feet underneath the speaker stands were taken off, to plant them more solidly to the floor. It was basically the undoing of the adjustments to the previous setup with the Supernait 2. While we are at it, here's a quick comparison.

Both put out 80 watts of power. They both sound huge. The Naim gets there quicker through the dial. In fact, pop music at 8 o'clock on the volume nob was beyond comfortable. There's more useable range with the Plinius. With the Plinius there's no harshness. There's seductive liquidness that I've seldom heard. I was constantly trying to achieve this liquidness with the Naim. All I got was big bass and lots of grain in the sound. I kept wanting to reduce treble thinking the harshness came from up top. It actually came from upper midrange. I think it's a trick that a lot of British brands use. Rega Elex-R does it less gracefully but is still exciting. The Plinius shows what's possible with my Proac's and what's not possible with the Bluesound Node 2 ahead of it. But the system as a whole, it has a voice. Synergy is strong.

Last edited:
I'm curious if you're still rocking the Plinius and Tab 10s. If so, has your glowing review changed over time? I'm seriously considering the same set up.

I'm curious if you're still rocking the Plinius and Tab 10s. If so, has your glowing review changed over time? I'm seriously considering the same set up.
We'll see. On July 15th of this year he posted that he always returns to the Exposure amp.

Ha! Well there you have it. Yeah, I'm really interested in the Plinius 880 at Echo. But I'm also thinking about going with Audiolab 6000a and the CDT. Definitely going with Tab 10s from Stereotypes. I think September is the month to finally bite the bullet.

Ha! Well there you have it. Yeah, I'm really interested in the Plinius 880 at Echo. But I'm also thinking about going with Audiolab 6000a and the CDT. Definitely going with Tab 10s from Stereotypes. I think September is the month to finally bite the bullet.
I bought my Tab 10’s at Stereotypes as well. Lovely speaker.

Back
Top Bottom