Police Procedurals (subtitled, Amazon & Netflix)

soundmotor

super modified
There is some great stuff out there off network. We finished up these 3 over the last months and they were all worth watching. AFAIK, each is renewed for another season -

Bordertown (1 season)

ae3dae6612f5119f805c6beab1c7c3570ff7ab22.jpg

Netflix - Finnish and it takes place right on the Russian border. Lots of bad things happen there, smuggling, prostitution, and of course murder. The main player is profiler from Helsinki and ends up out in the wilderness as he did not play politics well. You've also got an ex-FSB agent working with him trying to figure out one case that runs through the entire series. Strong acting, good writing, and high productions values kept us planted. It's all Finnish, you have to pay attention as some of the scenes move fast.

The Tunnel (2 seasons)

UBATtPH.jpg

Amazon Prime -This is adapted from the Danish procedural Broen which was also adapted in the US for FX, The Bridge. It starts out with a body found midpoint in the Eurotunnel between Calais & Kent so both the Brits & French end up "cooperating" on the case. Stephen Dillane (Stannis Baratheon GoT) plays the lead Brit and he's great in the role. His French partner is a socially awkward girl and the pairing is quite funny with both seasons enjoyable. Dialogue is half subtitled for French.

Witnesses (2 seasons)

20863041.jpg

Netflix - All French and fully subtitled, you can't be distracted while watching as it moves fast. I had to loop back a couple times on a key point. Both seasons are gothic in tone and very reminiscent of season 1 of HBO's True Detective. It's probably the strongest of the 3 in terms of plot elements juggled to conclusion. The female lead is great too. She is a police detective drawn into some things as it were. Her "journey" through both seasons is one heck of a performance.

Thanks! If you like these you will almost certainly like "Spiral". The first four seasons are on Netflix; you can buy season 5 from Amazon. I would say it most resembles "The Killing." All in French but with subtitles; fascinating Paris locations.

Amazon has a premium channel called MHz Choice with this kind of programming. I just hate spend even more on programming than I do already. :(

In the Non-Fiction category I've been watching "The Forensic Files" on Netflix, Actual stories about crimes, usually Murder, solved by Science.
They are rather old but still very enjoyable, they use a lot of real photos and videos of the crime scenes and don't shy away from the gory truth.

Thanks! If you like these you will almost certainly like "Spiral". The first four seasons are on Netflix; you can buy season 5 from Amazon. I would say it most resembles "The Killing." All in French but with subtitles; fascinating Paris locations.

Amazon has a premium channel called MHz Choice with this kind of programming. I just hate spend even more on programming than I do already. :(

I'd forgotten all about it. We started on it but got distracted. Thanks for the reminder.

We just finished Season 5 of Spiral. Season 6 is still on the air in France. I can't wait! When will I get my next fix of Bosch?

Back
Top Bottom