POLK MONITOR 10a ????

boatdrinks77

Bought these at the local thrift store for $10.50 ...............

I'm assuming they are model 10A's because the serial numbers are: 10A 99932 & 10A 99992

Anyway they sound great ! I am bummed they are crappy vinyl veneer. I'm gonna have my brother re-veneer them in walnut (he is a veneering expert)

Can any POLK expert give me any advice with the crossovers ?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ALSO, I tried to pull the mids out to take a look at the crossovers, but they seem to be glued to the cabinets....... Did Polk glue them in ?

Hope everyone has a fun audio find this week !!! Dan :music:

They are well sealed because they have to be, not to mention those drivers likely haven't been removed in close to 30 years.

Take a piece of 3M blue masking tape, slip one side as far as you can under the rim of the driver, then using a putty knife where you put the blue tape slowly tap it under the rim until it pops. Do not drive it too far as you might damage the gasket. You'll likely have to do the same with the other driver and PR.

BTW, the crossovers are mounted to the binding post cup.

Nice. Nice score.

I have two pairs of 7's and just love them. I love speakers with real veneer, but the polks are just so good that to me it doesn't matter. Also, the vinyl tends to take abuse better than real wood. It is probably in better condition than it would have been with real wood veneer. Would I want one in real veneer? Heck yes, but I'm happy the way mine are.

There's information on them here at AK, but you will find a huge support at the Polk site forum. Plenty of tips on crossovers and upgrades in both places.

Great sounding speakers! They sound even better at that price as well! I agree about the vinyl; for such a nice speaker you'd think a real wood veneer would be in order. Ces't la vie

Can any POLK expert give me any advice with the crossovers ?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ALSO, I tried to pull the mids out to take a look at the crossovers, but they seem to be glued to the cabinets....... Did Polk glue them in ?

The first thing I would do is JB Weld the magnets on the 6.5 inch drivers. The glue fails and binds the voicecoil with the magnetic gap. So a search and you'll see how to do it. I'd replace the electrolytic caps with the same value Dayton PPs.

GREAT SCORE!!! I love mine so much that I have two pairs. One pair is on loan with my dad. The peerless tweeter that you have in yours is the one you want. Like bhunter said, use some JB Weld on the mid woofers once you get them out.

Once you get them paired with the right electronics you will fall in love with them.

Rebuild the crossovers with Mills 10 watt resistors, Clarity PX caps and if they have a polyswitch, replace it with a 1/2 ohm Mills.

Nice pickup there Dan.I found a pretty nice pair for $29.99 a few years back.I liked them a lot but since I was being overloaded with speakers it was them or the L100s that had to go.The Polks left.If I recall the mids on these may sometimes get stuck in the voice coil so push gently on the center of the woofer and if all is well you will see the two mids rise.These are one of a few sets of speakers I wish I had back.

I'm assuming they are model 10A's because the serial numbers are: 10A 99932 & 10A 99992

Anyway they sound great ! I am bummed they are crappy vinyl veneer. I'm gonna have my brother re-veneer them in walnut (he is a veneering expert)

Hate using a smartphone to post.Something always goes wrong.Talking about my post getting in your quote.

They are well sealed because they have to be, not to mention those drivers likely haven't been removed in close to 30 years.

Take a piece of 3M blue masking tape, slip one side as far as you can under the rim of the driver, then using a putty knife where you put the blue tape slowly tap it under the rim until it pops. Do not drive it too far as you might damage the gasket. You'll likely have to do the same with the other driver and PR.

BTW, the crossovers are mounted to the binding post cup.

Thanks for that information.... Speaker knowledge is my weak point. Dan :music:

The first thing I would do is JB Weld the magnets on the 6.5 inch drivers. The glue fails and binds the voicecoil with the magnetic gap. So a search and you'll see how to do it. I'd replace the electrolytic caps with the same value Dayton PPs.
ou fo

Thank you for that invaluable information bhunter . I found a pair of Polk monitor 5A's last year and one of the voice coils IS RUBBING !! They have sat in my garage since I bought them. I'm gonna look at that magnet today ..... Dan :music:

I have a pair of Monitor 10s and have found a wealth of information on the Polk Audio forums. Just go here and search for Monitor 10 or Monitor 10a - you'll find a lot of info. I'd definitely recommend gluing the drivers, it's a weak point and can cause problems. As you're thinking of recapping the crossovers, be aware there are several different crossover designs used at various times and with various models of the Monitor 10 (original, a, b, etc) - more info in the above forum. Monitor 10s are great speakers - enjoy.

Last edited:
well I hooked up the Polk 5A's that i bought a while ago, hooked them up and now the voice coil is not rubbing. Why would this be ?? Like I said, I am a neophyte when it comes to speakers. Dan :music:

I had rosewood 7s all original. I sent my x-overs out to this guy Dave who does this for a living. He's one of the major Polkies over there and really knows how to pack. If you do not want to do x-overs by yourself I'll give you the link to his site. He also knows about all iterations and every generation of Polk SDA series.

http://www.dhsspeakerservice.com/

Have the 10A,s and 7's. Love em! Hate the damn vinyl and the grills which so often warp over time.
Also hate the particle board they're made of and considered building cabinets out of plywood.

well I hooked up the Polk 5A's that i bought a while ago, hooked them up and now the voice coil is not rubbing. Why would this be ?? Like I said, I am a neophyte when it comes to speakers. Dan :music:

How did you know they were rubbing?

Back
Top Bottom