Polydome replacement

I have home made's, VIFA's, VIFA domes on polydome VC's, Millers, the automtive black polydomes, and the clear polys.
The original clear polys reside in my living room. We'll see if these take their place!
Any paticular way you would like me to test them? Side by side video? how? One in each speaker?

If you could do a video with a track you like with good midrange with the originals then switch to the replacements. Not sure if that will be too much work though

:lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk: Did you get them yet sagebug ? :lurk::lurk::lurk:
Yeah a side by side sound check would be perfect .. :music::music::music:
Maybe I can sell my perfectly good working white polydomes for 400 ( twice what I paid for the 6.1 in perfect shape ) Buy 2 of these ( and have my dream of a black dome -that sounds the same ) for 180 ish and buy $220 worth of :lurk: ( Im running out waiting for sagebug review ) :rflmao:

Just bought two! I'm going to try them, I have no problem taking a chance especially with Midwest we have been dealing with them for at least 25yrs and always been great guys.

Mark K.

Just bought two! I'm going to try them, I have no problem taking a chance especially with Midwest we have been dealing with them for at least 25yrs and always been great guys.

Mark K.
Awesome, let us know how they compare to the originals.

I asked if there was any danger of running out of the 4 Ohm drivers and they replied they have 250 and hope to be able to get more later but "you never know for sure".

MW Audio frequency response spec is 300-10kHz (+/- ?) with an 85db sensitivity. How does that compare to a stock Kappa Polydome? 300-10kHz must have a huge hump.

Last edited:
It looks like that driver is + or - 5 to 6 DB according to the graph, who knows how they tested it, I bet it will look much different when used with the kappa crossovers.

SnapShot.jpg

Last edited:
Still waiting!

"The package is delayed and will not be delivered by the expected delivery date. An updated delivery date will be provided when available. Your item arrived at our SAN BERNARDINO CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER destination facility on October 4, 2017 at 1:05 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination."

I have, and I think they are a little too harsh/bright for me. Maybe the material is too light? Still listening. They seem nicely made though. Solid aluminum face plate. However they are not poydomes that is for sure. They are the 4ohm model and I have turned the Lpad all the way down.

Curious what others think?

Mark K.

Some pics:

Attachments

• 1 - Copy.jpg
    1 - Copy.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 2 - Copy.jpg
    2 - Copy.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 3 - Copy.jpg
    3 - Copy.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 4 - Copy.jpg
    4 - Copy.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 5 - Copy.jpg
    5 - Copy.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 143
  • 6.1 - Copy.jpg
    6.1 - Copy.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 141
I have, and I think they are a little too harsh/bright for me. Maybe the material is too light? Still listening. They seem nicely made though. Solid aluminum face plate. However they are not poydomes that is for sure. They are the 4ohm model and I have turned the Lpad all the way down.

Curious what others think?

Mark K.
I spoke through email with the seller and he said they were brighter than the stock polydomes, he said you would have to turn them down a notch or two, if they sound like how you explained I don't know that they are a good replacement, I bet if you cut out the dome with a round scissors about 1/8 inch from the coil you can glue a three inch dust cap to it, I have seen dust caps made out of kevlar,graphite, poly, aluminum and more, might sound better, who knows.

I don't understand why 30yr+ old materials can't at the very least be reproduced if not improved upon. Maybe Polydomes are magic and the magicians that created them are all gone? It's beyond me.

Mark K.

Last edited:
I don't understand why 30yr+ materials can't at the very least be reproduced if not improved upon. Maybe Polydomes are magic and the magicians that created them are all gone? It's beyond me.

Mark K.
Do you think the new ones could sound better with more break in time? or do you think that's just how they sound? I bet the original polydomes material absorbs up all the harshness, might have to switch caps to get rid of the harshness on the new ones.
I have the RSDS polydomes and they sound slightly louder than the stock ones but still sound close to stock.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom