popeyes

2011etec

Suppose to be getting a popeyes chicken just up the road from me ,any popeyes aficionados here?Whats good what crappy?To put this in perspective my town has 2 types of eateries,burger and Italian.Pizza,pasta and sausage on a bun rule here.Heavy Italian population from just before and after ww2.Me, im irish ,snuck in when nobody was looking,lol.

Pio 1980,not a huge fan of kfc.Worked at one in 1973,ok job but quit for double the wages in a farm implement factory for the summer.3 buck an hour and gas was 40 to 50 cents a gallon in Winnipeg so money went far .If I remember correctly Sunoco 260 was 55 cents a gallon.

Had KFC first time in my very early teens and loved it. Not so much lately. Somethings changed.
Had Popeys last year and thought it was quite good. Actually have a new one opening just a few miles from here.
We just got a Chick-fil-A that opened yesterday. Place was mobbed.
Had cops directing traffic and all that, which Chick-Fil-A footed the bill for, BTW. I didn't go, I can wait till it gets saner.
My fave Chicken joint BTW was Churches which closed shop many years ago because of location and bad management.
Nothing I've had as far as fast food chicken has topped it so far. I really miss it and wish someone would give it another shot.

f5f016621d30586d3277d5094f822c51.jpg

Their onion rings are sooo good,... but I must agree w/ @RamblinE, the place is not healthy for you. YMMV

I rarely go there because their pricing is way to high. A meal is running around $12 w/drink. I can go to Publix's deli and buy an 8 piece box for $8.35 and two pints of side for around $4. That make a meal for four at Publix for around the same amount. The publix fried chicken is also just as good as Popeye's.

I agree with @KingBubba. the Chicken is the same ans everyone else. No secrets there. I've had issues with at least 2 franchises not changing out the oil enough. Seasonings are was attracted me to them, but honestly .. get yourself a bottle of dried cayanne pepper and season anyone's chicken to taste. Side dishes always tasted like left overs to me.

For me ... too expensive. time to go is when they have specials.

I agree with @KingBubba. the Chicken is the same ans everyone else. No secrets there.
Some of the local supermarkets carry freshly fried chicken you can buy by the bucketful for much cheaper and it definitely doesn't taste any worse.
I agree with @KingBubba. Seasonings are was attracted me to them, but honestly .. get yourself a bottle of dried cayanne pepper and season anyone's chicken to taste.
I usually season my chicken no matter where I get it from, mostly with salt and a LOT of fresh ground pepper.
If it's tender juicy inside and crispy outside that's all I need.

My favorite is the gravy that comes on the mashed potatoes. The biscuits are good to soak that up and then I can the potatoes. I didn't trust the chicken on one of my final orders and that was a few years ago. It was saturated with oil like the temp. was too low.

I know a guy that owns 18 Popeye's several Arby's and leases out properties for 10 or more Popeye's & Arby's . .

His knowledge of the restaurant industry especially KFC and the changes with their food Quality make anyone sick that hears his knowledge.

Popeye's food is Far Superior to KFC

The local Wal-Mart offers savory hot whole rotisserie chicken for ca $5, less on nightly closout. That and a tub of the prepared potato salad makes a fast treat dinner.

If your BBQ has a Rotisserie attachment, .....
completely stuff the chicken with large diced Onion, Celery and about 4 smashed cloves of Garlic, then use string to tie the legs over the cavity and tie up the wings and legs tightly.
Get any (or prepare your own) dried Chicken seasoning, or Chicken Fajita seasoning and sprinkle heavily on the out side.
Cover the chicken completely with Paprika to a point were you don't even see the chicken.

Skewer and put on the Rotisserie and cook till done.

we stopped at popeyes in toledo.i was pretty excited to try their chicken having heard how good it was. i ordered some box meal that had chicken and shrimp. we got on the other side of town by the time i opened it, i didnt want to drive back. all that was in the box was french fries.

The red beans and rice are tasty but too darn expensive. I mean it's rice and beans, maybe a quarter's worth of ingredients. If you ever need something to get your mojo working after a few too many, highly recommended.

Back
Top Bottom