Post a pic of your Electronics Bench

Okay, I'll play. The current main workbench setup includes a professional video monitor, vectorscope, and other video test equipment from my old career, as well as new stuff acquired for audio design work in retirement. Highlights include a Tek 350MHz 4-ch scope with RF spectrum analyzer, Keysight 120MHz arbitrary function generator, Stanford Research SR-1 dual channel audio analyzer, and an EMS 600V 1.6A power supply. I keep a collection of other power supplies in reserve, because a guy can never have too many power supplies for tube amp breadboard work! The audio patch panel is from an even older career that ended in 1984: managing a high-end audio service shop. I'm on the hunt for a pair of high-efficiency speakers to supplement amplifier listening test capabilities.

Vcline-Etc 026.JPG

This was my work bench for around 10 years.
1000w_q95.jpg

Sarge is tweeking on a LRU-3 of the " Eagle " RWR suite.

Last edited:
The problem is not learning how to use all of the equipment,it's actually remembering how to use it long (or shortly!) after you've learned;)

My bench (which is an absolute disgrace at the moment,so I will not be posting any pics) looks like an auxilliary NASA location.

The number of knobs,screens,switches,buttons,meters,displays and connectors would make you think I could pilot the space shuttle by remote control.Even with gear I have been using for decades I am often reaching for the manual for a quick ''refresher'' before performing some operation I only do infrequently.

They say the memory is the first thing to go...but so long as I don't forget where the manual is,I'm still doing fine.:p

Yea but ya have to know how to use it ,before ,you can forget what it was that you learned in the first place right.:biggrin:

Wow, I'm not feeling very good after seeing all this picts and looking to my bird nest bench... It's under "new year's clean up", so after a couple of days I'll be able to take some picts.

Yeah, my bench is a freakin' nightmare too. But you know what? I'm unapologetic about it because if you're working on your bench it's going to get messy:

20180113_090407.jpg

I clean it up between tasks. But when I'm working it can (and often does) get like this.
I'm mulling over redesigning the whole setup, since I recently got some new test equipment. So I look at these threads with interest, as some of you have layouts that make more sense than mine.

Yeah, my bench is a freakin' nightmare too. But you know what? I'm unapologetic about it because if you're working on your bench it's going to get messy:

View attachment 1087669

I clean it up between tasks. But when I'm working it can (and often does) get like this.
I'm mulling over redesigning the whole setup, since I recently got some new test equipment. So I look at these threads with interest, as some of you have layouts that make more sense than mine.

It's a Workin' Bench! Hot up the soldering iron. Full speed ahead!

I might be run out of town 'cause of my amateur-rats-nest-pile with home-built signal gen, and Heathkit decade boxes, and dumpster-salvaged power supply... and absence of real test equipment. Alas, I am not a technician, I'm just a hack electrician trying to fake-it 'til I make it. All I know is that a wire has two ends, and a schematic is some kind of a treasure map... that always needs to be Red-lined when I walk away from it :rolleyes:.

I have water-damaged CV D9s under the bench... and I exited the dryer vent right under the bench to keep my feet warm in the winter (because of the lint build-up on my shoes). I have black-plastic-Sony crap buried in 1" of saw-dust and dirt that just doesn't seem to kill them... and a Trophy Wall of cheesy old idlers that are my only friends...
I think Non-linearly, and my work area reflects it... Anyone seen a pair of wire cutters lying around? I have like 8 of them...guess I'll go buy another...

upload_2018-1-13_10-23-47.png upload_2018-1-13_10-24-56.png

:crazy: and PROUD

I might be run out of town 'cause of my amateur-rats-nest-pile with home-built signal gen, and Heathkit decade boxes, and dumpster-salvaged power supply... and absence of real test equipment. Alas, I am not a technician, I'm just a hack electrician trying to fake-it 'til I make it. All I know is that a wire has two ends, and a schematic is some kind of a treasure map... that always needs to be Red-lined when I walk away from it :rolleyes:.

I have water-damaged CV D9s under the bench... and I exited the dryer vent right under the bench to keep my feet warm in the winter (because of the lint build-up on my shoes). I have black-plastic-Sony crap buried in 1" of saw-dust and dirt that just doesn't seem to kill them... and a Trophy Wall of cheesy old idlers that are my only friends...
I think Non-linearly, and my work area reflects it... Anyone seen a pair of wire cutters lying around? I have like 8 of them...guess I'll go buy another...

View attachment 1087807 View attachment 1087809

Love the hard-hat collection!!:rflmao:

It's like the old saying "a clean desk is a sign of a sick mind". I feel the same way about a bench.

Mind you, I do straighten up between tasks, but it always looks like that when I'm working. And I'm comfortable when it's like that.

Those are from 6 of the 35 companies I've worked for in the last 22 years... no soup for me !

If you hadn't always been caught snitching hardhats,you wouldn't have had to change jobs so often;)

I'm starting to think that the only clean workbenches we'll ever see are the ones we took a photo of when they were first set up......
Can we even trust someone with a clean bench?

It's like the old saying "a clean desk is a sign of a sick mind". I feel the same way about a bench.

Mind you, I do straighten up between tasks, but it always looks like that when I'm working. And I'm comfortable when it's like that.

I've never seen a "between task" time... my tasks overlap, intertwine, interrupt, and just stack up like a house of cards with a squirrel running past... reading about a different Econo-wave design in the other window of the PC at the same time I'm writing this...:confused:

Okay, I'll play. The current main workbench setup includes a professional video monitor, vectorscope, and other video test equipment from my old career, as well as new stuff acquired for audio design work in retirement. Highlights include a Tek 350MHz 4-ch scope with RF spectrum analyzer, Keysight 120MHz arbitrary function generator, Stanford Research SR-1 dual channel audio analyzer, and an EMS 600V 1.6A power supply. I keep a collection of other power supplies in reserve, because a guy can never have too many power supplies for tube amp breadboard work! The audio patch panel is from an even older career that ended in 1984: managing a high-end audio service shop. I'm on the hunt for a pair of high-efficiency speakers to supplement amplifier listening test capabilities.

View attachment 1087492

AND you have an antistatic mat :thumbsup: :bigok: :king:

OCD is a strange animal... My work bench looks like a grenade wrapped in 20 spools of solder was tossed at it, but I just put some tater-tots in the oven for my kids and my wife shook her head at my arrangement... They looked like little sailors, soldiers and rowlocks (uncle was a mason) in alternating rows.

"What?" I say " if there is an even amount of space (+/- 1/8" tolerance ) between each tot, they are more evenly baked"...

OCD is a strange animal... My work bench looks like a grenade wrapped in 20 spools of solder was tossed at it, but I just put some tater-tots in the oven for my kids and my wife shook her head at my arrangement... They looked like little sailors, soldiers and rowlocks (uncle was a mason) in alternating rows.

"What?" I say " if there is an even amount of space (+/- 1/8" tolerance ) between each tot, they are more evenly baked"...

So,it's not just me,eh? Excellent.....

images

This is my work room, it's in the storage room but beats in the garage.

Room arrangement.JPG

Small parts bin in the room:

Part bin.JPG

Tube parts and excess capacitors etc. in the garage:

Parts in garage.JPG

Don't have a lot of equipment and don't have room for more equipment. Have to cycle test equipment depending on the work I do. I have the Quant Asylum analyzer ( like a spectrum analyzer) inside the draw to the left of the first picture to run THD test. It display on the laptop.

Back
Top Bottom