Post Your Marantz Gear Here!!!

Un-restored (except surrounds on mids) absolutely perfect pair of Imperial 7's.... truly gorgeous..

Beautiful cabinets! What do they sound like? My references of this era are mostly JBL but I have never heard these.

Beautiful cabinets! What do they sound like? My references of this era are mostly JBL but I have never heard these.

They sound good. They were Marantz's attempt at competing against the L100. Bart Locanthi was hired to help build their sound room. While there he was asked to help dial in the Imperial 6, 2 way design. The 6's were the first designed in the new room. The 7's were after that and also the 8 and 9 models. I stumbled onto a pair of 6's not knowing any of this, and was blown away by their sound. I regret selling them. These are OK. They should of just stuck with the 2 way design, adding the mid was to compete against the L100.....

It's been a long time since I've had a big 70's silver face marantz in my system. I jumped far down the vintage Mac rabbit hole, but I just picked up this wonderful 3300 preamp. These were available around the same time you could get a Mcintosh C26 or C28. I think it's a better preamp than either one of them. I prefer the looks too. The wood cabinet really makes it look sharp. It's good to be back!

IMG_20181024_192633.jpg

IMG_20181023_202632.jpg
Cheers!

It's been a long time since I've had a big 70's silver face marantz in my system. I jumped far down the vintage Mac rabbit hole, but I just picked up this wonderful 3300 preamp. These were available around the same time you could get a Mcintosh C26 or C28. I think it's a better preamp than either one of them. I prefer the looks too. The wood cabinet really makes it look sharp. It's good to be back!

I had a 3300 and liked it a lot. I am happy you admit that it is better than the Macs. Back in the day, Macs were thought of as marantz wannabes. Marantz always had a smoother, more tube like sound to their gear without the hassle of tubes and the low power of tubes. Now, no offense, but I sold (i have sooo much marantz gear I have no more room for it all) my main 3300 and moved up to a 3600. The 3600 is better and was reviewed as being a major increase in clarity and refinement. So, when the time comes for you to move on, move up to a 3600.

Back
Top Bottom