Post Your Riding Mowers, New and Old

View attachment 943240

Not mine, it was posted on the Briggs and Stratton Facebook page. Been in the same family for three generations.

Looks pretty utilitarian with no fancy soft seat!
Now THAT is a cool machine! What type drive train and size engine? It looks like the mower deck is solid mounted? How do you control cut height on that? Or is it just an optical illusion looking solid mounted?

There is some cool stuff on You Tube - including a '47 Jacobson with a CAST IRON hood over the motor!

Insect fog - not sure what they would have used, but DDT is a possibility. They had several others, none of them good for persons!

News to me that mowers can have cat converters - but CARB explains it! I managed to get the Kubota from the last year before they added new diesel emission reduction stuff (2013), so it doesn't have that hinky filter system that collects particulates and has to burn them off when it gets 'full'. I don't run the tractor that much anyway and it seems to burn pretty clean to me.

Well, I can only speak from my experience, I saw the inside of the cat on the husq, but that does not mean they all have them for sure. I do not know how Massey got away with it but they do not have a DPF filter nor SCR system and mine is a 2016 model . To be honest, I don't know what the laws are for off road equipment, but I do know the years the stuff started on heavy road trucks (for Volvo it was 2007 for DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) and exhaust regeneration, and 2010 for SCR "Supplemental Catalyst Reduction" using a Urea based fluid known as DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) AKA in Europe as "Add Blue".
Massey might have squeaked by with my tiny one due to the engine is also tiny? Not sure about that....I looked it up real quick. It is a tier 5 engine, but the small engines don't need a DPF because it is easy to get the exhaust hot enough to burn the ash without a DPF or having to "regen" like the big engines. I am still not sure about off road vehicles though, I did not think tractors and construction equipment fell under the same strict laws.

Mine is a Quality Farm and Country that my landlord brought up to help me cut the massive areas of grass I have here. It's a bit like the tractor that Jack built, things keep falling off it. When he first brought it up, it kept throwing belts, the tires kept going flat, and I had to replace the battery. But it seems to have settled down now, maybe because it gets used more.

20170528_125305.jpg

I did something really American the other day, I rode it next door to the ice cream stand and got a sundae...

20170528_125839.jpg

Lee.

Last edited:
It's interesting to note the difference in safety equipment between the mowers. If you fall off the Cub, it will run you over and keep going till it crashes. If you fart on the Simplicity, the engine will shut down.

The "old mower". 1965 Cub Cadet 100 fully optioned with creeper drive, grote light, fenders, headlights and hubcaps. 10hp Kolher single. Homemade sulky for giving the kids a ride.

IMG_1393.JPG

The "new mower". 2003 Simplicity Conquest, 50" mower deck triple bagged with turbovac. 18hp Briggs V twin. Optional hubcaps.

IMG_1539.JPG

Last edited:
It's interesting to note the difference in safety equipment between the mowers. If you fall off the Cub, it will run you over and keep going till it crashes. If you fart on the Simplicity, the engine will shut down.

The "old mower". 1965 Cub Cadet 100 fully optioned with creeper drive, grote light, fenders, headlights and hubcaps. 10hp Kolher single. Homemade sulky for giving the kids a ride.

View attachment 943705

The "new mower". 2003 Simplicity Conquest, 50" mower deck triple bagged with turbovac. 18hp Briggs V twin. Optional hubcaps.

View attachment 943707
Your Cub is another example of a "real" tractor that is not matched by most modern mowers.

9734d5f9ae8bc54ee9624b2ae86777c2.jpg

Very true,the only plastic on mine is the fuel tank, steering wheel and reservoir for the Hydo drive.

most tractors (as well parts on others) are made by MTD (Mitsubishi Tractor Division) so people, dont worry to much about the name on it, buy what you like at a price you can afford.

I'm enjoying this thread...don't want to sound like a know it all...but MTD is and always has been an American company...,Machine Tool and Die .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTD_Products

Now THAT is a cool machine! What type drive train and size engine? It looks like the mower deck is solid mounted? How do you control cut height on that? Or is it just an optical illusion looking solid mounted?

It's an old Briggs and Stratton probably from the 50s or 60s, as I said it isn't mine but was on the Briggs and Stratton Facebook page. I can see the shadow of some sort of knob on the deck, so assume the height is from the back.

There's about 30+ comments on their Facebook post on how their old engines were more bulletproof and their new engines are no good.

Ha Ha !! FANTASTIC!! The ORIGINAL riding lawn mower! Actually there is a lady in this area that rents her large fleet of goats to farmers and the state to clear land. It is amazing how fast 100+ goats can clear an acre of land....merely days! Then she makes cheese from the milk and it sells very well at the farmers market. If I did not have a garden....and no fence, I would get one myself!

It's an old Briggs and Stratton probably from the 50s or 60s, as I said it isn't mine but was on the Briggs and Stratton Facebook page. I can see the shadow of some sort of knob on the deck, so assume the height is from the back.

There's about 30+ comments on their Facebook post on how their old engines were more bulletproof and their new engines are no good.

Oops, sorry, I thought you meant it was yours and it appeared on the Briggs Facebook page. I think just like everything, it depends on which level engine you buy. I have had a few newer Briggs that gave me problems, but I spent 700 bucks on a Briggs Vanguard engine and it is a real reliable workhorse. Poor fuel economy but gobs of power. I have seen a few marine outboard applications using the Vanguard...that in itself says a lot.

Here's mine. Got it used a couple years ago after I got frustrated during my search for a new rider. Thing is a beast.

IMG_0522.JPG
IMG_0526.JPG IMG_0519.JPG

I believe it is (was). Not mine though. These pics are from the estate sale where I bought the GT 235. The snowblower was already sold - buyer was arranging pickup. Was happy as hell I got to the tractor when I did. Lots of interested parties came Looking after I struck the deal. One guy offered to buy it from me.

The JD looks nice, people realize the value in an older machine after looking at new equipment, too much plastic and light metal, cheap pot metal spindle castings cheap bearings just are not going to last, It pays to buy used if you find a machine that was cared for.

Back
Top Bottom