Poultrygeist's systems continue to evolve

Poultrygeist

Lunatic Member
I hate to have loved gear that goes unused so I continue to make the most of what I have within the space I'm allotted.

Here are three separate speaker systems on one wall of my listening room. The 2 way open baffles are Lowther DX3's powered by Bottlehead Paramour 2a3 SET mono blocks with Yung plates driving the Alpha 15's. Sources include Marantz SA8004 SACD player/DAC and Technics SL1300

Next are the Frugal Horn MK3's powered by a Dared MP-2a3 SET amp. My source is a Audio GD DAC and I use the double Alpha's for bass support.

Last are the modded Dayton B652's sitting atop the Frugal Horns and powered by a TPA3116 with a Dayton Reference 8" sub used to cover the lower octaves. Source is a modded PS One.

More pictures to follow.

picture.php

Here's the power and source rack with some changes since this picture was made. An Ashly active crossover replaced the Behringer and a TPA3116 replaced the Topping amp. The Dared 2a3 is in a PC hutch along with the PS One. The Bottleheads now sit on top of a Jolida JD9 tube phono preamp. and I was able to squeeze the TT on the second shelf.

picture.php

PG you are seemingly mating your best speakers with the SETs whilst the lesser speakers are wedded to the TPA. Does this indicate your ranking of the power amps?

On the opposite wall I have the Tekton's powered by a TPA 3116 using an Aric tube preamp. The sources are a Sony SACD changer, Integra CDP and Sony tuner. The Dared shown here is now on the main wall. A JVC class D powers the OB Alpha woofers which are pulled out of the bookcase when used. The old Marantz drives porch Axioms and outdoor sub.

picture.php

Last edited:
nice! you inspire me Poultry, albeit I am a bit of a procrastinator so I am much slower. But I have built the 3 tube pre with sure amp set up. am starting the OB journey and even picked up a 3116 red board a while back. I find myself going to this stuff more than my (real) system. thanks for sharing!!!!

PG you are seemingly mating your best speakers with the SETs whilst the lesser speakers are wedded to the TPA. Does this indicate your ranking of the power amps?

The Tektons are powered by a TPA3116. If the Bottlehead 2a3's died today a TPA would take it's place driving the Lowthers and I wouldn't be in any rush to buy another SET. The $28 TPA paired with the Bottlehead Foreplay III is stunning.

My much loved Beta12LTA/Alpha H-frames had to be moved to the garage. There they're powered by the APPJ Miniwatt and Dayton amps with a Behringer providing crossover duty.

picture.php

Sold the Betsy drivers to 68custom who hasn't produced any pictures yet. :thumbsdn:

Still have the second pair of Frugal Horns which are part of a HT system but the "no baffles" sans drivers are in the attic.

picture.php

Thanks guys.

The porch system hasn't changed. Still have the Axiom Algonquins with a passive Marcato outdoor sub ( not shown against house wall ). Both are powered by an inside Marantz Model 1150. I use a CD changer which gives hours of music while working in the yard.

picture.php

Sold the "too refined" sounding Tang Band W8-1808 to a friend over at AC. The H-frames now support the Beta 12LTA's.

One pair of Neo3 planar tweets now reside with a Pioneer BOFU driver in a Realistic Nova monkey coffin. The others are paired with GRS FR drivers in a Cambridge Sound Model Six cabinet. Nothing to write home about with those experiments.

picture.php

I cut the top off my bedroom TV armoire so I could place the big Seki on top. The Pioneer 22's are paired with a DIY Triska sub and powered by a Panasonic XR55 AVR. Source is Directv and a Panasonic BRP.

picture.php

picture.php

Kept the others but parted ways with the Zu Omens. My good friend loves them driven by his wonderful 300B's. They were very good speakers but I couldn't justify ownership when my home brew OB's were better.

I've had fun with the knock down cabinet and Yung powered Dayton reference sub from P.E.

I feed the Yung plate amp's input straight from a highly modded SCPH 5501 playstation. Then from the Yung's output the signal is sent to a TPA31xx that powers the B652's.

picture.php

Last edited:
The DIY Triska sub is another fun inexpensive build. It features one woofer and two passive radiators that you have to add weights to. Used some postage scales to get the correct weight in nuts and washers and superglued them so they wouldn't rattle.

The Triska now lives in the bedroom painted black as Mrs PG said the blue/gray didn't match her decor :scratch2:

picture.php

I'm kinda proud of this little TPA. I'm probably the only person crazy enough to drive Lowthers with a $9 amp but the results took my breath away.

I'm currently using the TPA with a $50 6n3 tube preamp driving $35 B652's. I call it the best modern $100 system going. The Daytons went up a level or two thanks to $2 cap upgrades.

picture.php

Thanks guys.

The porch system hasn't changed. Still have the Axiom Algonquins with a passive Marcato outdoor sub ( not shown against house wall ). Both are powered by an inside Marantz Model 1150. I use a CD changer which gives hours of music while working in the yard.

picture.php

Very nice yard indeed. I could live out there......:D

Back
Top Bottom