Poultrygeist's systems continue to evolve

I've changed things a bit. Same Fostex BL horns and OB woofers but added an FX Audio 6J1 preamp and Topping D30 DAC. The FX with some vintage WE 403B tubes is a true delight. Quality stepped volume control. Sounds accurate and less colored but with a bit of tube bloom. Adds some nice gain to the Volt+D and all that for $31 shipped.

I grew tired of the little Chrome Cast Audio streamer falling onto the floor so it's now velcro'ed to a Shure cart box and it's long cords are now stashed out of the way. Thought about placing it inside the box but realized it would be shielded from the wifi signal.

Also using a Niles AXP-1 to switch between the Topping DAC, Sony SACD changer, Rotel RCD-855 player and Sansui tuner.

P1010036.jpg

Who would have thought you could buy an excellent sounding quality tube preamp in a handsome case for $31? I bought it as my Bottlehead preamp developed issues and I had to switch preamps around in my other systems. So now repairing the Bottlehead is no longer a priority and it's been placed on the back burner.

P1010035.jpg

Last edited:
Who would have thought you could buy an excellent sounding quality tube preamp in a handsome case for $31.

View attachment 1348435
Super pics comme d'habitude P,echo those comments on the FX[curiously enough paid £31 pounds for both my present one and same price for the new one i just received]
Love turning this system on,the D plus is revelatory and fatigue free.:)

Last edited:
I added a big power conditioner to my rack and things are now getting a bit crowded on the right side of this room. Thankfully my wife hasn't complained even though I've maxed out the space. Couldn't pass up the power conditioner which I bought at a flea market for $30 ( new in box ).

P1010044.jpg

Who would have thought you could buy an excellent sounding quality tube preamp in a handsome case for $31? I bought it as my Bottlehead preamp developed issues and I had to switch preamps around in my other systems. So now repairing the Bottlehead is no longer a priority and it's been placed on the back burner.

View attachment 1348435

You only paid $31 for yours?!?!?!?! Where did you get the .099 cent discount? LOL I paid $31.99!
Where did you get the WE403B tubes from? But you think the tubes I got from Amazon are good too right? Those GE ones?
And I didn't even know you had the Topping D30 dac. I researched that one all on my own and was getting ready to purchase. I was looking at the Schiit Audio one and people who have heard both said the Topping blows it away.

I added a big power conditioner to my rack and things are now getting a bit crowded on the right side of this room. Thankfully my wife hasn't complained even though I've maxed out the space. Couldn't pass up the power conditioner which I bought at a flea market for $30 ( new in box ).

View attachment 1348457

Do you notice a difference with the power conditioner? Or is it easier to have everything plugged into that?

You only paid $31 for yours?!?!?!?! Where did you get the .099 cent discount? LOL I paid $31.99!
Where did you get the WE403B tubes from? But you think the tubes I got from Amazon are good too right? Those GE ones?
And I didn't even know you had the Topping D30 dac. I researched that one all on my own and was getting ready to purchase. I was looking at the Schiit Audio one and people who have heard both said the Topping blows it away.

The GE's are very good. I bought a quad of the WE's some years ago on eBay and used two in the APPJ/Miniwatt. I like my Schiit Modi MB but it cost over twice as much as the Topping D30 and doesn't sound any better.

The GE's are very good. I bought a quad of the WE's some years ago on eBay and used two in the APPJ/Miniwatt. I like my Schiit Modi MB but it cost over twice as much as the Topping D30 and doesn't sound any better.

So I should be getting my ZU's with the clarity upgrade soon. Decided to go the SET route again and am ordering the MP-301 MK3. What tubes would you suggest matching it with? I like detail! Shimmer in the cymbals and highs but not lean. I also want bass and heft to it. Basically a good balance with everything.

So I should be getting my ZU's with the clarity upgrade soon. Decided to go the SET route again and am ordering the MP-301 MK3. What tubes would you suggest matching it with? I like detail! Shimmer in the cymbals and highs but not lean. I also want bass and heft to it. Basically a good balance with everything.

Get some RCA 6sj7 in black or red. For the power tubes you can experiment with KT77s, KT88s to get that full sound you want.

Back
Top Bottom