Power Cables

How or why power cords make a difference, I don't know, but they certainly can. I've listened to several "cable engineers" explain the phenomenon and I can't say that they all say anything that is consistent. Back when I had my own high-end shop, I experimented with power cables (as well as signal cables) quite a bit. Some made little difference, and some impacted the sound in a very audible way. I had my favorites at that time (about 12 years ago now) but the available offerings have expanded now. In particular I found that Cardas made some power cables that were reasonably priced (relatively speaking) that could "calm down" aggressive sounding amps, pre's and Digital gear. I also found that the Harmonic Tech Magic (???) cable was an excellent power cord. Twister Pair Designs also made a very affordable model that made both sonic and financial sense. I still find it pretty hard to drop much money on "upgrade" power cords, but I do have a few of em :)

:jump::jump::banana:I love quality power cables, but have been raked over the coals for my opinions........hence, bailing wire, wrapped with electric tape, the twisted together and attached to your local DollarStore plug is the best power cord you can get.:banana::jump:

I recently bought a heavier gauge (14awg) hospital grade power cable for my sub. The clear plugs are cool. I like the big knob where it plugs to the receptacle, my arthritis makes grip a challenge on the smaller tapered plugs.

I think I'll match the cord for my other IEC stuff. I'm not convinced it made the sub sound better. I basically needed a longer cord, and went with some style.

Last edited:
My father did PhD-level signal-processing R&D for the US military for 38 years, and built and tested his own home hi-fi equipment besides. He said, if he had the time, he'd sue the so-called engineers making the sort of claims they do about power cables in magazines like 'Stereophile' and 'The Absolute Sound'. They're lucky they don't have to defend their "work" at professional symposia. They'd absolutely destroyed.

What can you sue them for? As magazine writers, they can say whatever they like. They can say if you paint your arse green and hang upside-down from the ceiling the music will sound much better. Only the manufacturer could be sued for untrue claims, and you will notice that they don't make any such claims. They carefully stick to true statements about the construction and materials of their cables.

I am probably one of the few guys here who has heard power cables that cost, $5K, $10K, $18K, and yes, $28K. They do make a big difference in the sound, when used with top equipment. Why, I haven't a clue.

What can you sue them for? As magazine writers, they can say whatever they like. They can say if you paint your arse green and hang from the ceiling the music will sound much better. Only the manufacturer could be sued for untrue claims, and you will notice that they don't make any such claims. They carefully stick to true statements about the construction and materials of their cables.

I am probably one of the few guys here who has heard power cables that cost, $5K, $10K, $18K, and yes, $28K. They do make a big difference in the sound, when used with top equipment. Why, I haven't a clue.
Reread my post. I didn't say sue the magazines. I said sue the manufacturers. I have the professional opinion of a solid-state physicist, with decades of research into electrical conductivity, that these cable guys are either saying, or implying, things that are deliberately misleading. On the other hand, you've *heard* power cables. Pardon me if I'm not exactly blown away by your opinion.

At the most recent session, we compared the Stage III Triton and the Kubala-Sosna Emotion into the phono stage. Both are about $5K power cords. Our methodology was simple; we played a whole side of the LP, switched power cords, and listened to it again. The differences in the sonic presentation were not small.

I would agree that with most ordinary equipment, you can use just about any heavy-gauge power cord and get reasonable results. But if you want to fool around and try different things, go for it. The guys buying the crazy expensive power cords are big boys, they're not being duped by evil manufacturers. They hear what they hear, and like it.

I have made my own interconnects that sound superb. I have made my own speaker cables that are ridiculously good sounding. But, I have NEVER been able to make a power cord that sounded as good as some of the cords I have purchased - what's the Deal?

BTW, the LAT does sound superb, as do units that I have auditioned from DH, JPS (ludicrous speed) and Less Loss (especially excellent on power amps). Then again, the end results one gets is subject to matching the cord to the component... there's always a caveat to the observation...

Good listening!

I bought 3 power cables to replace all 3 PC's in my system . I am on the lower end of hi-end audio. So didn't want to spend to much, relatively ..
So I found a 1 man company with some experience in the industry, CullenCable..
Ranging from $80 to $200 for PC,s .
I bought the best I could afford around $ 600..for all..3..

1. Oppo205
2. Preamp
3. Amp
Silver coated Copper 12 awg. With Silver coated Plugs..

Yes they made an improvement over stock cables..
I will not take them out .
Small improvements over all areas of SQ, most noticeably was the Expanded width of the Sound Stage..

Last edited:
My father did PhD-level signal-processing R&D for the US military for 38 years, and built and tested his own home hi-fi equipment besides. He said, if he had the time, he'd sue the so-called engineers making the sort of claims they do about power cables in magazines like 'Stereophile' and 'The Absolute Sound'. They're lucky they don't have to defend their "work" at professional symposia. They'd absolutely destroyed.

This is an old thread but the same questions regarding the science behind cables persist. In the last "show us your power cables" thread a few months ago, my questions were batted away with subjective listening impressions which "verified" the efficacy of power cables. Never got a satisfactory answer, if one even exists.

Last edited:
Poinzy, it appears your persistent posts in this thread are in violation of rule #3 of this forum. Did you even read the article in question? Just let it go if it doesn't interest you.

Last clean up of a revived thread, read the rules folks!
Regards,
Jim

Figures. I'll reserve my real opinions for my profile posts from now on.

Last edited:
I stopped obsessing about power cords when I received a loaner Phase Linear power amp, and noticed how skinny its power cord was.

Hey, Delta77

How's it going with the Cullen power cords? On Patrick's suggestion I ordered a Cullen Avius with Red Copper plugs. Hopefully will receive it by the end of the week. I'm looking forward to it.:banana:

Cheers,

Scott

I bought 3 power cables to replace all 3 PC's in my system . I am on the lower end of hi-end audio. So didn't want to spend to much, relatively ..
So I found a 1 man company with some experience in the industry, CullenCable..
Ranging from $80 to $200 for PC,s .
I bought the best I could afford around $ 600..for all..3..

1. Oppo205
2. Preamp
3. Amp
Silver coated Copper 12 awg. With Silver coated Plugs..

Yes they made an improvement over stock cables..
I will not take them out .
Small improvements over all areas of SQ, most noticeably was the Expanded width of the Sound Stage..

I do not doubt the psycho-acoustic aspects of audio when it comes to subjective preference. We have direct evidence of it here in this thread with a previous poster spending 4k for cabling. If there are sound differences, science can reveal why and so far, no one has provided an adequate answer other than use of a proper guage wire. In speaker wire and interconnects, which are in the signal path, capacitance and resistance will change the signal much like different value choke and capacitors in a crossover. That's science. Power cables, which are not in the signal path carry 60Hz high voltage which is immensely noisy to begin with. This AC is converted to DC and smoothed over by main filters before program signal is introduced. In other words, it is the job of the amplifier to take care of RF ingress and the vast majority of amps do a fine job of it.

I really have no complaints yet..
Also happy with the Speaker Cables & IC’s..

Hey, Delta77

How's it going with the Cullen power cords? On Patrick's suggestion I ordered a Cullen Avius with Red Copper plugs. Hopefully will receive it by the end of the week. I'm looking forward to it.:banana:

Cheers,

Scott

Back
Top Bottom