"PQ" vs " SQ"?

Amazing sometimes how the "cheap crap" option can outperform what's generally known as the commonsewer's choice ... paid big bux for a couple Sylvania bad boy 6SN7's here, and much prefer what I hear from a couple inexpensive coin base RCAs ... go figure.

Listen to what you like is the moral of that ...

PS - some amps REQUIRE low microphonic tubes (and a cage) in certain positions. My Eico gets real fussy about what goes in the first amplifier stage ...

PS - some amps REQUIRE low microphonic tubes (and a cage) in certain positions. My Eico gets real fussy about what goes in the first amplifier stage ...

You can always try adding viscoelastic damping to the feet.

If the vibration is originating with the power transformer, some damping mounts for the transformer and tube sockets may help.

That might do it.

Then ordinary and otherwise sucky tubes (pronounced "inexpensive") will work instead of the premium, special, superior, super-duper, spectacular, or stupendous grades (pronounced "overpriced").

It's all about tube selection - Spiral wound and extra micas did the job nicely.

** I tend to shy away from the visco disco feet - anything with sorbothane can leave stains on cabinets. Nasty stains. Don't ask me how I know, eh. ;-{

Amazing sometimes how the "cheap crap" option can outperform what's generally known as the commonsewer's choice ... paid big bux for a couple Sylvania bad boy 6SN7's here, and much prefer what I hear from a couple inexpensive coin base RCAs ... go figure.

Listen to what you like is the moral of that ...

I have a stand alone phono preamp that is super fussy about what tube is used in the first stage.

Have fun with it - I'm pretty much locked in on mine as a center driver with Sylvania 5814's as channel drivers..

paid big bux for a couple Sylvania bad boy 6SN7's

While desperately trying to refrain from screaming profanity laced vitriol,just who the f**k started with all of this mindless,cool-boy-stupidity catchphrase marketing and describing of tubes?!?!

What the HELL is a ''bad boy'' 6SN7? Really? What,is he a juvenile delinquent?Tough guy biker tube? Slaps around the 12AX7s?At what point did the the mouth morons take over the tube world? Ooooh,a ''fat boy'' 5AR4!!! Buzzwords; look at me,I'm cool!!

And if I see or hear the phrase ''holy grail'' ever again,they'll be removing me in a rubber jacket,complete with those fashionable,laced-up in the rear sleeves..

At the risk of becoming my grandfather,I'd just love to get these imbeciles lined up in front of a wall:mad: ARRRGH!!!

We now return you to your previously scheduled programming:)

I built the simple Aikido preamplifier circuit from Tube Cad years ago, (with 6SN7) point to point, as separate mono units.
I amassed a collection of common 6SN7, to test and use in the Aikido pre-amps.

A retired EE friend and I use a emission tester to find some good examples of 6SN7 to use. Once we had a bunch, we powered up the pre-amps to check for micro-phonics of the 6SN7 in circuit.
The Aikido pre-amp circuit has 1 meg resistors used in case a tube is yanked, there won't be an overvoltage problem.

So we had the preamps powered up, jam a 6SN7 in there, let it come up and listen, along with tapping on the tube. Some would almost have no micro-phonics from tapping, barely hearing it through the speakers. Some would go CLANG! CLANG! CLANG! when tapped on them through the speakers. There was a couple that would come up and literally start screaming.

I built the simple Aikido preamplifier circuit from Tube Cad years ago, (with 6SN7) point to point, as separate mono units.
I amassed a collection of common 6SN7, to test and use in the Aikido pre-amps.

A retired EE friend and I use a emission tester to find some good examples of 6SN7 to use. Once we had a bunch, we powered up the pre-amps to check for micro-phonics of the 6SN7 in circuit.
The Aikido pre-amp circuit has 1 meg resistors used in case a tube is yanked, there won't be an overvoltage problem.

So we had the preamps powered up, jam a 6SN7 in there, let it come up and listen, along with tapping on the tube. Some would almost have no micro-phonics from tapping, barely hearing it through the speakers. Some would go CLANG! CLANG! CLANG! when tapped on them through the speakers. There was a couple that would come up and literally start screaming.
The Aikido is so far my favorite preamp circuit. I built two 9 pin versions and bought a 6sn7 version I am very happy with.

What the HELL is a ''bad boy'' 6SN7?

And if I see or hear the phrase ''holy grail'' ever again,they'll be removing me in a rubber jacket,complete with those fashionable,laced-up in the rear sleeves..

Hope you feel better getting that out of your system ... a good rant is the holy grail of personal psychology ... <G>

Oh. And I must admit, I wondered some about the whole "bad boy" thing till I lit one up here ...

sylvania-bad-boy.jpg

"Sylvania bad boys" are stupidly over hyped. Not all of the vintage Syl 6sn7 gt are the same. You need to get the vt231 version and even then used ones tend to be noisy. A lot of tube sellers just parrot what someone else wrote with no prior experience with the tube.

While desperately trying to refrain from screaming profanity laced vitriol,just who the f**k started with all of this mindless,cool-boy-stupidity catchphrase marketing and describing of tubes?!?!

What the HELL is a ''bad boy'' 6SN7? Really? What,is he a juvenile delinquent?Tough guy biker tube? Slaps around the 12AX7s?At what point did the the mouth morons take over the tube world? Ooooh,a ''fat boy'' 5AR4!!! Buzzwords; look at me,I'm cool!!

At the risk of becoming my grandfather,I'd just love to get these imbeciles lined up in front of a wall:mad: ARRRGH!!!

Hey Arts, winter is just beginning and i am already sensing a bit of cabin fever in your posts. Perhaps a move to a warmer clime may improve your outlook. But, pertaining to those ridiculous nick names that tube sellers give to certain types, you can sign me up for the firing squad when you round up all those sellers who perpetuate those nonsense terms.

in a few
years
late to this thread, but im feelin that outrage! i got a variety of 6SN7 im tryin to identify, and i guess theyre ALL "bad boys" and "chrome dome." "platinum grade" is the big buzzphrase
one now. just put that in every online listing...geez

"Sylvania bad boys" are stupidly over hyped. Not all of the vintage Syl 6sn7 gt are the same. You need to get the vt231 version and even then used ones tend to be noisy. A lot of tube sellers just parrot what someone else wrote with no prior experience with the tube.

I agree completely: it is mostly the inexperienced tube sellers that come up with the ridiculous names and ridiculous descriptions of tubes just to give themselves an air of authority. Here's the first item that came up on the auction site searching for ECC88: Telefunken 6DJ8 Holographic Doubling Flat Curve ECC88 Rode K2NTKMono Smooth Tone.

Back
Top Bottom