Pre-Pros, Why So $$$

Thrill Kille

I'm going to buy a new Pre-Pro. Maybe an AVR. Whichever is cheaper, maybe. 2 1/2 years ago my Pre-Pro was $1,900. And I wasn't too impressed with it after about 1 year. So now I want a machine that will do 4K Processing, Up-sampling, HDR10, Dolby Vision, HDMI 2.1, etc.

I don't need a whole lotta watts. If it has XLR out. I can connect to my amps. Is it better to go with another Pre-Pro? Or, get a AVR with Balanced XLR out? I currently and regrettably have a Marantz AV7702. I find it limiting in it's sound set-up. Unless you pay for the Auddessy Upgrade. Other than that it does basic audio set up. And it's Scaler isn't the best. Middling really. So, why are Pre-pros more expensive. And are the worth it now a days?

Also any re-directs to a Thread or Forum to compare AVRs and Pre-Pros would be appreciated.

Marantz AV7702
McIntosh MC2250 L/R
McIntosh MC30 C
Emotiva XPA-3 Surr L/R
Martin Logan Motion 40's L/R
Motion 8 C
Motion I forget L/R Surr

I'm going to buy a new Pre-Pro. Maybe an AVR. Whichever is cheaper, maybe. 2 1/2 years ago my Pre-Pro was $1,900. And I wasn't too impressed with it after about 1 year. So now I want a machine that will do 4K Processing, Up-sampling, HDR10, Dolby Vision, HDMI 2.1, etc.

I don't need a whole lotta watts. If it has XLR out. I can connect to my amps. Is it better to go with another Pre-Pro? Or, get a AVR with Balanced XLR out? I currently and regrettably have a Marantz AV7702. I find it limiting in it's sound set-up. Unless you pay for the Auddessy Upgrade. Other than that it does basic audio set up. And it's Scaler isn't the best. Middling really. So, why are Pre-pros more expensive. And are the worth it now a days?

Also any re-directs to a Thread or Forum to compare AVRs and Pre-Pros would be appreciated.

Marantz AV7702
McIntosh MC2250 L/R
McIntosh MC30 C
Emotiva XPA-3 Surr L/R
Martin Logan Motion 40's L/R
Motion 8 C
Motion I forget L/R Surr

Have you looked at the Marantz AV7703 - it has the full Audessy suite and I think most everything else you're looking for - there has been a recent firmware update, "I think", to add Dolby Vision - you might want to check it first. Anyway, I posted sometime back that the AV7703s were being discounted to $1499 from $2199. A pretty nice deal and it has balanced outputs. I'd rather use a pre/pro and select my own amps - just me since I think most AVRs have weak power supplies and lack the dynamics of separate amps with beefy supplies and reserves - but that's just me and my opinion. Anyway, you might want to check out the 7703 and see if it suits your needs.
Good luck

7702, regrettably?

Wow, that's one of the better midrange pre/pros.

I find my even older AV7005 does a very good job, sound wise, even compared to a nearly 3x more expensive (in the day) Anthem AVM20 that I used prior to it.

And, the 7702 has a number of advancements including MultiEQ XT32 and Sub EQ HT over the 7005.

Last edited:
I've not been happy with an AVR or pre-pro since 1995...

The only pre-pro I had was an Emotiva and I bounced it out in three months. Pioneer, Yamaha, Sony, Onkyo AVRs and all were lacking.

Currently an Onkyo TX-RZ810, and I would not recommend it. Video and ARC work well, sound (especially stereo) is just OK.

Maybe I expect to much. Things like auto lip-sync, Zone 2 audio, should actually work.

So why is a pre-pro more expensive? No idea. Supposedly a better DAC, but an OPPO UDP-205 is only $1300

Yea, the 7702 GUI is lacking. I don't like the fact that if I make This, or That Adjustment. It turns something else On or Off settings wise. The Headphone output is weak too.

I tried the Outlaw 976 and it didn't sound as good as my 20 year old EAD Ovation. There a few minor quirks that left me wanting more. Good price and there is a 30 day money back guarantee.

Back
Top Bottom