Preamp roulette

Tom Fred

So I am in the hunt for a preamp upgrade.

I currently have two bridged MC2100s powering a complete set of Sequerra Pyramids: two each of the 8w sub, Met 7, and T9 ribbon tweeter

Vinyl on a Thorens with signet cart; digital on an Oppo 105. Wide variety of listening, lots of classical.

Want to move on from my Adcom 555 for a solid used pre with a remote in the neighborhood of $500 (which seems to be a kind of hole in the market: lots of stuff for $300 and lots of stuff for $1500).

So I’ve been tempted by Naim NAC 112x, an Aragon 28k as well as a Mac c35. Should I stay in the McIntosh family? Other pres I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks!

So I am in the hunt for a preamp upgrade.

I currently have two bridged MC2100s powering a complete set of Sequerra Pyramids: two each of the 8w sub, Met 7, and T9 ribbon tweeter

Vinyl on a Thorens with signet cart; digital on an Oppo 105. Wide variety of listening, lots of classical.

Want to move on from my Adcom 555 for a solid used pre with a remote in the neighborhood of $500 (which seems to be a kind of hole in the market: lots of stuff for $300 and lots of stuff for $1500).

So I’ve been tempted by Naim NAC 112x, an Aragon 28k as well as a Mac c35. Should I stay in the McIntosh family? Other pres I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks!
The C-35, Mc2100 combo is 'music' to my ears. The two units have a wonderful synergy that you will not regret experiencing, IMHO....

C-35 is a real sleeper. Its cousin was the most advanced 16" pre-amp as far as sound reproduction. They aren't as flexible as a C-33 or 34, but for just plain simple sound reproduction the 35 and 37 were great for that period of time. Pre-amps from that period of time might need some looking after, which could easily destroy your budget.

C35 is a wonderful preamp. Might be a bit out of your range but it is still a great deal for what they go for and money well spent. Favorite things about it, sounds wonderful, great eq, lots of inputs, remote and looks. Only thing I wished it had was a second (mm) phono input. Btw I think that Adcom gfp555 is a great preamp too very quiet stable unit no nonsense.

C-35 is a real sleeper. Its cousin was the most advanced 16" pre-amp as far as sound reproduction. They aren't as flexible as a C-33 or 34, but for just plain simple sound reproduction the 35 and 37 were great for that period of time. Pre-amps from that period of time might need some looking after, which could easily destroy your budget.
If I found a C-37 for the right price, I would be all over it. The only think that I don't like about the C-35 (I have two, as well as a C31v) is the 'rocker' style volume control. Other than that, they are wonderful sounding pre-amps!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom