Prefered Glue for surrounds

I like Weldbond found at most hardware stores, cheap, dries in about 4-6 hours, and I can't tell it from other high priced stuff sold on line :thmbsp:

Last edited:
The best bet you'll have for refoaming (especially since from your other posts I gather this will your first time) is to buy a kit which will contain everything you'll need - and will include enough glue, surrounds, voice coil shims, dustcaps, and clear accurate instructions for two woofers. When you get the hang of it, you can start buying individual pieces without fear of getting halfway through the job and not having something you need to finish.

well, a guy has a pair of two originals that need to be refoamed, he has the surrounds for them and is going to sell me the woofers and surrounds. I dont think its nessisary to buy a new kit if the surrounds he is selling me work. I will need to get new dust caps and glue but thats about it.

When I did my 4 Infinity woofers, I found that it wasn't entirely necessary to shim the VC. HOWEVER, only skip that step if you are extremely patient and something of a perfectionist, or your VC will rub, which is not good.

This is a great resource for first time refoaming tips Link, it takes a while to load and is fairly long but covers about everything

Edit: In the new link the author uses alcohol as a cleaner, which I'm sure is fine. I don't and usually scrap the surrounds clean using a fingernail, much safer than using a knife on the paper surround IMO.

As for dust caps, I reused the old ones when possible. If you carefully pull the old ones off or cut them off with a small pen knife, a new bead of glue will cover. And they look good as new.

Shims can be as simple as a business card or multiple pieces of paper evenly spaced inside the voice coil. I prefer shimming myself, only had one woofer rub after multiple pairs :thmbsp:

Last edited:
I've used the glue sold by Parts Express with great success. The sell it in their kits and by itself for about $6.

i am not doing the shim way cause i was told not to do it. I am going to think about changing the dust caps cause the guy selling them said that are a bit beat up

if you think that i should shim it, what should i shim it with? I dont really feel like buying a surround kit if i only need the glue and shims out of it.

The shimming is just a temporary measure to help align the voice coil properly.... Some folks choose to avoid the shimming method because they don't want to remove the dust caps, but if you are changing them anyway then you might as well use the shimming method. Almost any non-mettalic material of suitable thickness can be used as a shim.

Weldbond will work fine on paper cones.... don't know about poly cones though.

Read up on previous discussions... lots of details and pics are available.... the "search" function is your friend!

Yes I would shim it... see my above post about what to use, no kit needed. And in case you didn't see the link I provided, it has a step by step with photo's...

Also if the dust cap isn't totally torn up, you can soak it in water and let dry over a rubber ball or something round and again reuse it.

PS Weldbond works fine on polycones :thmbsp:

Last edited:
After testing 5-6 glues, Aleene's Tacky Glue (available at Michael's crafts stores, or on line, ask SWMBO) is indistingushable from the PE surround glue, in use or finish. and its a lot cheaper than PE.

Don't use elmers, it dries very stiff.

msound has good products and I just learned that their glue sticks to the black residue on the cone and frame ... a huge timesaver. see my recent thread: http://204.10.140.18/forums/showthread.php?t=49593. I will be using shims for the first time because it makes sense and more exact. I had to re-align a foam job on an advent driver and it wasn't fun.

Army - good idea to re-use the dustcap. i cut mine out by slicing its face and then its circumference ... realized after I could have gone around the edge and popped it back on after it was done.

When I refoamed my ESS woofers a while back, I cut around the circumference of the dust cap but left about an eighth inch or so intact to act as a "hinge". This takes the guesswork out of matching the two pieces back up. Worked like a charm. - Mark

Army said:
DJ you might want to do a search here, we've covered this topic several times!

I like Weldbond found at most hardware stores, cheap, dries in about 4-6 hours, and I can't tell it from other high priced stuff sold on line :thmbsp:

I bought the Weldbond after hearing about it here. Not sure it's better than Elmers, but it works just fine. I spread it out and let it set up for a little bit before I try to glue it up. I think it's a little too thin to be perfect, but works better than just fine.

I've never removed a dust cap in a re-foam and never had a problem. Maybe I'm lucky. 14 woofers and two sitting around waiting.

Ed

The main thing you need to concern yourself with is that you get a kit that will work with the size AR drivers that you're refoaming. AR had some pretty funny ideas when it came to measureing there woofers. This is first and formost the most critical issue you need to concern yourself with. There is nothing worst than getting surrounds that don't fit properly. Trust me you don't want to go there. I'm not sure if the 10" surrounds from PE would work with those AR drivers. They're pretty much a generic replacement. Myself, I would stick with "vintage-ar" who knows AR verywell and speacializes in them almost exclusively. He'll even throw in new putty for when you go to reinstall the drivers for a proper seal. Whether you decide to go the shim, or shimless method just take it slow and take it easy. AR woofers are very well made and for the most part don't require shimming they are just so well made that they just naturally want to center themselves. You will find how well made once you get them up and running. There are few speakers in it's size that can do what the average AR spaeker can.

Grayhouse said:
The main thing you need to concern yourself with is that you get a kit that will work with the size AR drivers that you're refoaming. AR had some pretty funny ideas when it came to measureing there woofers. This is first and formost the most critical issue you need to concern yourself with. There is nothing worst than getting surrounds that don't fit properly. Trust me you don't want to go there. I'm not sure if the 10" surrounds from PE would work with those AR drivers. They're pretty much a generic replacement. Myself, I would stick with "vintage-ar" who knows AR verywell and speacializes in them almost exclusively. He'll even throw in new putty for when you go to reinstall the drivers for a proper seal. Whether you decide to go the shim, or shimless method just take it slow and take it easy. AR woofers are very well made and for the most part don't require shimming they are just so well made that they just naturally want to center themselves. You will find how well made once you get them up and running. There are few speakers in it's size that can do what the average AR spaeker can.

I would check with our resident expert Gordon W. I got some 9" Advent surrounds from him for a good price. I'll be getting all my surrounds from him from now on.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom