Prefered Glue for surrounds

Myself, I have also used carpenters wood glue it sets up just like the glue they supply with the surrounds, looks the same too. Brand I found that works best is Tight Bound Wood glue it's yellow and dries somewhat flexible when it's put on in the thin layer we use on the surround replacement...Put it on let it setup a bit and it still allows you some adjustment time to get things centered just right!! I don't remove the voice coil covers and use shim unless I have several failed attempts.. So far I had none! George

Just keep it simple djcslice. For your first refoam I would avoid complex test tones, or any other outside electronic signals. For one thing it will allow you to devolop a feel between you and the speaker and thats what you want to develop right now. Outside stimuli will only insulate you from what you are doing. One other thing shims and electronic media are not 100% gauranteed, but I have never know one to fail by using feel alone as long you are constantly checking your work along the way. The shimless method also takes into account any small imperfections the various parts may have developed over time and allows you to compensate using the best tools at your disposal....your fingers and your brain. Shims and stimuli force the VC to center, but once you remove that crutch who knows.

You will be quite surprised how easy it wiil go once you get started. It's just getting past that first apprahensive step. Once you do that you'll be fine. Once you become more proficent you can begin to experiment with other more elaborate and complex procedures.
This response gets 5 stars in my book.
We all must learn to walk before we run. And the only way to excel is thru hands-on experience. You must think like a speaker, walk like a speaker, be the speaker at rest and at play.

I just now finished refoaming my pair of Allisons. Out of impatience not wanting to wait for a glue shipment, I tried Aleene's for the first time. I figured why not as nothing was going to stick to the gooey residual matter of the Allison woofers anyway.
Up and playing an hour later. Aleene's on!

Last edited:
I have been replacing Surrounds as well as Reconing most every possible speaker that is out there for over 30 years. I would never do a surround job without cutting the Dust Cap so that the Voice Coil is exposed and Shimming it before the Surround is replaced. Remember, the Surround is one of two suspension points that keep the Voice Coil in alignment in the gap. If you do not shim the Voice Coil during this process it is very likely that it will no longer be in correct alignment. There are many kits available that include Shims as well as a New Dust Cap. I would avoid the ones that don't. As far as the correct adhesive to use, It needs to be a Water Based Product. Solvent or Petroleum based glues may deteriorate the Surround material.

i never remove the dust caps. i center the driver utilizing a tone generator. i have re-edged over 500 drivers with no failures. i also have never had an issue using a rubber cement based adhesive either. many of these original drivers used similar adhesives. i have used everything from Aieleens to E6000, Omni-stick,Gorilla Clear grip , surehold sure flex and 3M weatherstrip adhesives.

Back
Top Bottom