Pro sports

jt1135

Does anybody other than me, really give a rats ass about pro sports? Call me old fashioned but between disrespect for this country and flag, the totally outrageous salaries, the cost of tickets to watch the game and the worship of these players (from just about any sport), have people forgotten what is really important in life? And by the way, college sports isn't that far behind.

This isn't really about politics, well maybe the first part was (unintentionely), but not the rest of it about salaries and prices.

I'm not a huge fan of mandatory public patriotic loyalty rituals as a retired Army vet, unless I'm there specifically for that reason. Case in point, the Captain Dan wounded warrior charity events get my respect. Expecting a loyalty oath to attend a sporting event, not so much. I never had to worry about getting home after an encounter with the gendarmes, and I don't judge those that do for reminding the rest of us that doesn't happen for everyone.

Sports is entertainment, pro sports more so. Some find it entertaining, some of it or most of it. Others, not so so much and have their own different interests. It's an escape from the dreariness of daily life for many folks and a point of pride, a livelyhood for those involved as well as an industry in itself. It's importance is both financial and personal for those involved and those that play, and those that watch who care.

Last edited:
Sports is entertainment and I watch my fair share. From the entertainment perspective, pro players salaries are probably in line with (or below factoring their limited career span) those in the television, film, and music business, but nobody seems concerned with the amount they earn. I would much rather pay $100 or so to watch Tom Brady as opposed to Justin Beebs.

I used to be a baseball nut but in the last decade or so my status has declined to that of casual fan, and now I find my attention to the game fleeting and vague. I had to struggle to start an MLB thread last year and this year I didn't even bother.

I really don't know if my loss of intetest is due to overpaid players, greedy owners, butt-headed fans, the invasion of politics or just the fact that I'm getting old -- all I know is, I don't care the way I used to, and if I give it any thought it makes me sad.

Last edited:
I seemed to lose interest in pro football over the last few years. Gave up on Major League Baseball in 1994, but slowly regaining interest again. Pro football seems to be over saturated now. 3 games on Sunday, Monday Night, (remember when it was a real treat), and now Thursday. In the grand scheme of life, sports, (pro), really isn't that important to me.

Generally not a fan of any sport, or sports in general tho I like obscure school football game jerseys for casual wear for fun. I live and let live, and let the fans have their fun and their rivalries.

The only mention of politics relating to this site is the solid wall-to-wall banner ads I'm getting for the runoff between big strange Luther vs the Ayatolla of Alabama on this site. The amount of money being spent here in Bamastan on these two assholes is beyond astonishing.

Last edited:
The only mention of politics relating to this site is the solid wall-to-wall banner ads I'm getting for big strange Luther on this site. The amount of money being spent here in Bamastan on these two assholes is beyond astonishing.
Shame about the thread getting closed down. Could have been an interesting one.

Pro sports adds cost to everything from the obvious subscription TV fees to the less obvious consumer goods that buy ads and sponsorship deals. Pro sports mattered when it was only about the game but now it is less about achievement on the field, the basic inequality of winners and losers and more about pet causes and identities. I turned off my satellite TV and have not looked back.

seems like since the advent of hd tv, there's really no need to actually pay the crazy ticket prices - and i can make way better junk food at home.

plus i live in Toronto, so i have to wait for international hockey if i want to see a good game. the only way i'd spend money on the leafs would be if i could buy shares.

Back
Top Bottom