Problem with my SX-1250, ideas appreciated.

PabloX

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm starting to notice an issue where if the receiver has been left on for awhile (like maybe an hour) and there's no input signal, I'll hear some lower frequency static/crackling out of the speakers. The sound level doesn't change with the volume control.

At the same time, when it's cold, I notice a bit of channel drop out at lower volumes.

Could this be the speaker protection relay? Something else?

Given 40+ years, it is probably time to restore it.

I've repaired a few, restored a few and seen partial restored, repaired ones act up or lay down.
There are many places that may be causing your issues.

Given 40+ years, it is probably time to restore it.

I've repaired a few, restored a few and seen partial restored, repaired ones act up or lay down.
There are many places that may be causing your issues.

I should have mentioned, I bought it from @Tom B on here and it was fully restored. I'll ping him and see if if he can weigh in.

Hello,
Sorry to hear you are having issues. While you have had the unit for almost 2 years, I still feel bad when they are any issues with any of the units I have serviced or restored. Did these problems recently start, or if not when did they first occur.

It appears to be 2 different issues in my opinion

Lower frequency static/crackling out of the speakers. Is this apparent on one channel or both???
Usually a noisy transistor will just affect one channel, although I have found situations where I had bad transistors in both channels. The symptom of being the same level of noise regardless of vol control position tells be the problem may be on the main applifier board, maybe the differential amp transistors. And if Differentials act up, they many times cause problems with the DC balance, allowing for DC volts on the speaker terminals, which can cause spotty relay contacts.

The dropout at low volume when cold can be a dirty relay contact. While I always dismantle relays, clean, deox, and polish the contacts, on any receiver I work on, they can get spotty again, although I think I put a new relay in your receiver. Tell me if you see a green LED lit on the relay when energized. And relays can go bad. I don't think it would be a bad coupling cap as I replaced all originals with hi end "Fine Gold" type.

I don't think dirty controls or switches are your issue, because I used multiple types of faderlube on the rotary controls, and remove all lever switches, dismantle them, clean, deox, and polish the contacts, before reassembly, which should give many many years of troublefree operation.

If you can figure out a way of getting the SX-1250 to me, I can see what the problem(s) is(are), and address them

Case in point. Even well rebuilt vintage can get issues.

The push button switches may be the low level drop out problem. I’ve seen many of those with attitude.

I suspect a noisy transistor for the other issue.
Amp, flat amp, tone amp. Anywhere there that you didn’t replace.

I have a 1250 here that I rebuilt a few years ago that developed a crack/pop in one amp.
One of these days I’ll get to fixing it.

Hello,
Sorry to hear you are having issues. While you have had the unit for almost 2 years, I still feel bad when they are any issues with any of the units I have serviced or restored. Did these problems recently start, or if not when did they first occur.
If you can figure out a way of getting the SX-1250 to me, I can see what the problem(s) is(are), and address them

Tom, don't feel bad at all. Like you said, I've had it for 2 years and it's more than 40 years old to start with. You did a great job but this has to go with the territory. I love that thing and s**t happens as they say.

Both issues are pretty recent. If anything, the channel dropping out has maybe alleviated itself a bit more recently, but I first noticed it 3-4 months ago. The noise just started a couple of weeks ago.

As far as getting it down to you, maybe we can meet for breakfast at that place. I'll send a private message regardless.

The only time I did encounter such a crackling sound on a vintage receiver it did turn out to be a bad transistor. One had failed on the tone board of a Sherwood S-7200.

Back
Top Bottom