Problem with SX-1050...

stewey

I think I've discovered a problem with my new SX-1050. When listening to FM the audio flicks out occassionally / randomly. I do not think it is a problem with the reception as the Spkr A and FM lights cut out at the same time.

This problem seems to be restricted to the tuner section as there do not seem to be any problems with AUX.

My ability to repair this type of equipment is pretty much limited to cleaning and replacing bulbs. Is there anything I can do to try and pin down the problem further - or eliminate the possibility of bad reception?

I think it's worth repairing the unit, as the pre-amp and power amp sections seem fine - not too mention that cosmetically it's in great condition.

Thx. for helping,
Stew.

You can also check all the fuses as sometimes you may find that you ether have a lose one or a coroded one worth checking.

Had the same problem with the sx-1010 I got of ebay 2/3 weeks ago and that was the tuner fuse (it was lose the fuse grips needed pulling back together)

Now that I can do...

Thanks Larry,

I'll check it out when I'm at my gf's and get back.

Great suggestion - thanks.

Ok, I looked...

I sneaked away after a movie to take a look inside but couldn't find any fuses. Hmmm... I'm pretty sure I know how to spot fuses. That said the sx-1050 has a layered chassis so I couldn't get below without some major dismantling. Can anyone tell me where they are on this model?

While I was in there I investigated a few burnt out bulbs. I suspect the large bulbs should be no problem to find replacements for, but the smaller soldered in bulbs that light the spkr, stereo and function indicators look problematic. They look just like the ~48v pilot lamp for my SA-8800. I was unable to locate a replacement for that bulb and had to wire a resistor and led in its place. Anyone know if I'll have to do the same here?

Stew.

Most pioneers fuses are located under neath.
Turn your pioneer upside down undo the screws and you will see all the fuses theres about 5/6.
You may have to take the walnut case off first.
Have a go and check those fuses...I have a few pioneers including your 1050 and thats where the fuses are located

As for the blown bulbs send a pm to dgwojo(dave) I think he will help you with any bulb problems you have. He helped me and I live in the UK......

If all fuses seem and are fine (check them with a multimeter)
Then the next thing to look for is bad solder joints around the tuner wire rap pins (they do come lose and the solder does go nafe and poor and changes color to a powder dirty gray) If you find one or 2 like this they will need removing from the board and cleaning with a type of metal polish and the board will need cleaning and desoldering........You do have to take all this into consideration when buying vintage hi/fi because of the age.

Last edited:
Flipped it over / opened it up...

I checked the fuses, pulled them, and cleaned them. They all look good and clean.

It still seems to be doing it, but I don't feel I've ruled out poor reception entirely. I think I'll have to pull this beast upstairs and try to get a stronger signal.

Then maybe if it's still a problem I'll take it to the shop.

Stew.

Say wha?

I think that may be beyond my abilities. I don't know where to look for those. Is the tuner board on the top, right hand side, near the front and underneath a metal cover?

If so then I know what board you are talking about, but I'm not sure how I would test the wire raps for dryness. If I find them should I just tug on them a bit? Then if they break - resolder them?

Thanks again for your help Larry.
Stew.

NO !!
I think you should take it to someone whos in the know of such things mate.. you may break the bloody board doing that...
But you give me a bloody good giggle though:lmao:

That's what I thought

I'm going to move it upstairs where I can get some reception and see if the problem persists - if so, then I'll buck up for some repairs.

Wish me luck. Thx.

A good-looking 1050 is most certainly worth having a pro fix it. I had a 1050 for a time, and it certainly didn't quake in its boots around my other TOTL receivers, including the SX-5590 & KR-9600. In that room, its performance was excellent.

Not reception...

I took it upstairs and got a solid 5 for signal strength, still the sound was cutting out - so it's in the shop now.

Damn this thing is heavy. I'll let you know what happens.

Stew.

Back
Top Bottom