Professional assessment of 50 Amplifiers

Please scan and post the Marantz 1030, that's a wonderful sounding amplifier.

TNKS!

Marantz 1030

There you go - wonderful sounding ?.... certainly cheap in its day.

Attachments

• Marantz_1030.pdf
    651.4 KB · Views: 196
I realize that this thread is several years old, but if it is stil being monitored, any chance of getting the review for the Hitachi amp?

It would be great if all of these files, and scans from anyone else with editions of these compendiums were added to the database.

I agree that with Hyperion's OK the info should be up in the AK database .... if that were possible .... which it appears is not the case at the momemnt since Victor retired from those duties this past summer.

OK from me personally, just wonder about any copyright issues - hopefully expired by now?

OK from me personally, just wonder about any copyright issues - hopefully expired by now?

Surely after all this time no one would be much interested?

I know I'd love to hear what they said about the Sugden A48, I've got one I was going to rebuild but I'm wondering now if it's worth the bother :lmao:

Love old HiFi mags trouble is after a while they get hard to read because of all the drool on the pages...

Copyright lasts a long, long time. In the US, the default is I think either 75 or 99 years - lemme check on that.

One of the nice things in this hobby - many (not all!) equipment manufacturers (e.g., Dynaco) did NOT copyright their documentation. This was in at least some cases a deliberate decision; putting the documentation in the public domain insured that it could be available in perpetuity, with no effort or responsibility on the part of the company. Heathkit has maintained copyright on its documentation.

EDIT: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-duration.html

How long does a copyright last?
The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years. For an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first. For works first published prior to 1978, the term will vary depending on several factors. To determine the length of copyright protection for a particular work, consult chapter 3 of the Copyright Act (title 17 of the United States Code). More information on the term of copyright can be found in Circular 15a, Duration of Copyright, and Circular 1, Copyright Basics.

Do I have to renew my copyright?
No. Works created on or after January 1, 1978, are not subject to renewal registration. As to works published or registered prior to January 1, 1978, renewal registration is optional after 28 years but does provide certain legal advantages. For information on how to file a renewal application as well as the legal benefit for doing so, see Circular 15, Renewal of Copyright, and Circular 15a, Duration of Copyright.

I am hoping that the above-quoted text is in the public domain! :)

No problem Alienz :thmbsp:

And to vinyl dragon - I have not forgotten you, I will post the Sugden A48, I am just a bit tied up with other things at present.

No problem Alienz :thmbsp:

And to vinyl dragon - I have not forgotten you, I will post the Sugden A48, I am just a bit tied up with other things at present.

Thanks! Though I know how things can get, especially when stuff you posted years ago keeps refusing to go away & die :lmao:

Graham

I only just joined the forum. I felt really bad for weeks about not buying a marantz 1060 (or 1030, not sure) for 30 euros at a charity shop, I just didnt know much about vintage amps. Then2 weeks ago I did pick up a AU-3900 for 45 euros there, only hooked it up to some speakers this week and I'm absolutely amazed about how it sounds! :music:
I did wonder a bit though if the marantz might have even sounded better, but after reading these testresults it seems I can just go on enjoying this little black puppy :)

I just stumbled onto this old thread. These reviews and the summary data only reinforced my 30+ year old opinions about the gear to buy and keep.

Yamaha-You had me at hello..............

But that Sansui gear is looking like th girl I wish I had gone out with back in College.

The summary sort of brought some things into perspective. The problem I always had with the better known Amercian mags is that thier reviews were clouded because of the advertising $$$. You really had to :read between the lines" on the Amercain reviews.

I think I'm going to hunt me down some nice Sansui gear for a bake-off with my Yamis. It should be interesting.

And for vinyl dragon, and drummergrl

Here are the scans for the Sugden A48 and SU-7700 - with special thanks to vinyl dragon for being so patient.

Attachments

• Sugden A48.pdf
    556.1 KB · Views: 147
  • SU-7700.pdf
    430.3 KB · Views: 155
There are 3 Sansui amplifiers reviewed, and they show up well - each being awarded a "Best Buy" status - they are, AU7900

John[/QUOTE]

Thanks John, Got the reason to acquire The Flawless Innocent AU7900 for USD.100.

Back
Top Bottom