Professional assessment of 50 Amplifiers

Hi, Glad you like it, only Marantz 1030 & 1070 & 1250 were tested - so no Marantz 1060 I am afraid. :(

I'll see if I can scan the Hitachi for you, might be a few days before I post it up - watch this space.

Last edited:
John, Thanks for fulfilling so many requests here! I've enjoyed reading many of the scans. Would be great if more of us scan our old hifi mags. I have/had a bunch in Australia but I think the family has probably gotten rid of them by now :(

I'd...uh...like do see the Setton one...if you have time, please....

I'm so sorry to ask. lol. Poor guy. smh

Last edited:
Hi John, thanks for sharing these.

All the reviews I wanted to see have already been requested and posted. :D
I'm sure many others will enjoy these for years to come.

Actually just an HP Flat Bed scanner :) - which is old enough now to have lost Microsoft OS support, as the drivers and application are written for Windows XP and below.

When I finally get rid of the PC I have that still runs XP - the scanner will become just another piece of electronics junk. :(

I can repair Sansui amplifiers, but only just :p re-writing scanner drivers or a whole OS is beyond me. :)

Last edited:
Would just like to add my thanks for these scans, very interesting reading. This is the thread that tipped me into signing up after some time of looking from afar.

Any chance of getting scans of the Harman Kardon A-401? Thank you so much!
I am very sorry midfiguy - the XP PC and the obsolete scanner have gone to the junk heap, so I have lost the ability to scan the reviews. Nobody asked for scans of the HK models, so I didn't scan them. :(

I will remember your request, and if I should once again be able to scan the reviews I will provide it here. ;)

If you can one day I ask you to scan the AU 9900.
Thank you very much Hyperion.
I am very sorry oldsysop the AU-9900 wasn't included in the 50 amplifiers originally reviewed. The closest reviewed would be the AU-11000A which would be very similar to the AU-9900 overall. (see my post #31 for the review). ;)

Brilliant thread, I am using my old Leak 3900A again so it was great to see how it fared in a proper test. It does sound very good indeed but the review is right about the meters - they look lovely and work fine but won't win any awards for Drama.
Perhaps I need to make a little amp for them with a diode and capacitor to give them a faster 'Up' and a slower 'down' to track the music better.

Thanks, sadly the HP Flatbed Scanner I used to use only had driver support up to Windows XP, when I switched to Windows 7 the scanner became inoperative, I have since changed again to Windows 10.

The scanner went to the recyclers :( and I have so little use for a scanner that I haven't bothered to get a replacement.

Last edited:
Not "HiFi Choice" was it? They used to be smaller than a magazine, almost like a little book. I used to stand in W H Smiths reading it for as long as I thought I could get away with.

They certainly pulled no punches. I remember them testing an amp that was rated at 60W (?) into 8 ohms. However, when they started going to 4 ohms, the output dropped to around 35W.

The Kenwood/Trio KA-7100 got a "recommended" status, which is still very respectable.

Back
Top Bottom