Progressively better equipment is not increasing my enjoyment. Time to downgrade a bit?

If I may also add just as important is the overall aesthetic qualities of any given gear.
When off does it call to you? Do you appreciate it when you wake up? Like a Ferrari one can sit and appreciate it without having to drive it everyday. Is it awesome because you know it's value or it's look?
For me that's why all blacked out gear doesn't do it for me. Not that I don't want to collect a few pieces. Looking at you European Pioneer. :)

When I wake up I'm greeted to this.
IMG_20180416_105020.jpg

But it can even be simpler such as my bedroom system. One Sony 7055 & two speakers. Love listening & looking at it.
I've seen some TOTL gear I would never have in my house regardless of cost. Doesn't stir the soul if you know what I mean. To sum it up if any gear is hanging around taking up real estate than it BETTER look good first and foremost because there may be cool couple days or a week I'm not playing it. Get rid of it? Never.

Last edited:
Your posts pretty much say that the music is not your first priority. This is perfectly OK. You just need to acknowledge that.

Your posts pretty much say that the music is not your first priority. This is perfectly OK. You just need to acknowledge that.
Lol. It really is. It's on almost all day. I have an hour & half commute each way to work but you think I can see my audio gear? Sound great though! On my five mile walk I have my Sennheiser Headphones. Music is a HUGE part of my life. Fixing the car in the garage. It's on. It's always around me. But your assumption is amusing.
Let me ask is there something wrong with it looking good as well as sounding good? Especially when it's off. It's sitting there. Do you want UGLY to sit in your living room? Seriously. Some of that atrocious 80' gear?
Tell me what happens FIRST when hunting for gear? Cars? Women? Ever so briefly you form a judgement on looks, fit & finish. Right? :D (Not that my fit & finish is all that great. Trying though!)
You couldn't give me a Shelby Cobra regardless of performance. I think it's ugly. I wouldn't date some super models. High maintenance & attitudes. I'll take Michaelangelo over Van Gogh if it's hanging on my wall and so forth.
Speaking of garage. I better go change the oil....
Cheers.

If I may also add just as important is the overall aesthetic qualities of any given gear.
For you perhaps, not for me. I've had the same cheap looking fake vinyl veneer center stage for 30 years. If it looks cool, fine, but audio first.

Tell me what happens FIRST when hunting for gear? Cars? Women? Ever so briefly you form a judgement on looks, fit & finish. Right?
Wrong. Cars? Days to weeks spent comparing prices vs. reliability vs. gas mileage.
Women? I've never asked out a woman I haven't known and talked to for at least month or so.

Last edited:
Lol. It really is. It's on almost all day. I have an hour & half commute each way to work but you think I can see my audio gear? Sound great though! On my five mile walk I have my Sennheiser Headphones. Music is a HUGE part of my life. Fixing the car in the garage. It's on. It's always around me. But your assumption is amusing.
Let me ask is there something wrong with it looking good as well as sounding good? Especially when it's off. It's sitting there. Do you want UGLY to sit in your living room? Seriously. Some of that atrocious 80' gear?
Tell me what happens FIRST when hunting for gear? Cars? Women? Ever so briefly you form a judgement on looks, fit & finish. Right? :D (Not that my fit & finish is all that great. Trying though!)
You couldn't give me a Shelby Cobra regardless of performance. I think it's ugly. I wouldn't date some super models. High maintenance & attitudes. I'll take Michaelangelo over Van Gogh if it's hanging on my wall and so forth.
Speaking of garage. I better go change the oil....
Cheers.

I think 427 Cobra's and especially the coupe version are gorgeous. Of course, I think that gear should please the eye. However, I'd pick good sound over eye candy any day. It is after all about the sound.

I don't hunt for gear. I have no interest in a bunch of lateral moves gear wise. The only gear I'm interested in currently is mostly new and beyond my budget limitations. However, I've managed to assemble a system composed of vintage and relatively new that works for me. Every day I look forward to hearing some music on it.

Back
Top Bottom