Pulled the woofers out of my Altec Lansing Model 14's.......

You have to hear them to believe. For 1/3 the size of the 19s, the 14s deliver 90% of the impact.

I'm sure their accurate, but theres just no way a pair of 40oz magnets can deliver enough force to my liking. Those things will likely struggle below 30hz past 100db...

Don't the 19's go for over a thousand $$$????

I'm sure their accurate, but theres just no way a pair of 40oz magnets can deliver enough force to my liking. Those things will likely struggle below 30hz past 100db...
Well of course they will, most speakers do; the Model 14 is 35-20,000Hz, 95dB 1W/1m, 114dB continuous. They really are killer speakers, and plenty of punch -- remember, you're hitting that 100dB point at about 5W. Try talking in the room when you're using 5-10W power. :)

Well of course they will, most speakers do; the Model 14 is 35-20,000Hz, 95dB 1W/1m, 114dB continuous. They really are killer speakers, and plenty of punch -- remember, you're hitting that 100dB point at about 5W. Try talking in the room when you're using 5-10W power. :)

Yeah, but there's so much hype behind them on this website. I would think for $2000 for VINTAGE audio since everyone says you get better bang for your buck going vintage these things REALLY would be out of this world. Deeeeep, loooow bass is expected for that price in vintage isn't it? And there has just got to be a modern floor speaker set for $2000 that hits the high and mids with precision like them, right???

I COULD BE WRONG IDK...

For $2000, there's nothing out there going to touch a pair of these, IMHO. I think you'll find yourself spending an awful lot of cash before finding something that will give the 14s a beating.

It's not so much that there is hype on here about them -- they've been considered pretty nice speakers since long before there was an internet. Some people consider them one of Altec's best offerings. Give a pair a listen, you will likely be surprised. Only place I'll be going is the Model 19s if I come across a pair, or maybe a pair of nice 604 boxes.

You won't be disappointed. I just traded up to 19's from my 14's and there is definitely a difference in sound. But for the 14's size and price, you really can't go wrong. If you can find them for a good price. The 14's can really sing, especially when you push them. I used solid state and tube equipment. I found my tube amp to be a bit more smoother. I thought that I might miss the 14's when I switched to the 19's because the 14's sounded that good. However, the 19's have won my heart over.

You sure the 19's actually handle less than the 14's???? Why????
The woofer, yes.

The "difference" is in the sensitivity. The model 19 woofer is much more sensitive than the woofer in the 14.

Let's put it a different way. For any given acoustic output level, the model 14 woofer will require 3 to 4 times as much power to produce it. The model 14's woofer needs 200 watts to do the same job that the 19's woofer does with 50 watts.

The 416-8B woofer of the model 19 is rated for 75 watts continuous, here's the spec sheet: http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/specs/components/416-8b.htm

GPA would by the go-to house on those. They are a great resource to the Altec community, they did a super-awesome job on my 14 woofs and they could use the business. I would get quote from your local guy versus theirs, remember fact is gpa will do it right

The 19's are on my list but very hard to find at least in the Pacific Northwest. I have seen a couple pair come up but it's always when I'm broke. The 14's came up for a song ($450 I think ) and I had the woofs worked over. I'll never get my money out of them, so I decided to work on the crossovers and keep em. Deoxit didn't seem to help the pots much, I really need to tear them apart. I have seen threads on a Model 14 crossover rebuild. Maybe replace the pots if they are really dead and new caps while bypassing the "protection circuit" I emailed "Great Plains Audio" but the 14 is not really on the "A" list and I would have to bastardize a different crossover to replace whats in there. He must be a busy guy, because I couldn't get him to reply to my request on pricing, so I gave up. I checked eBay but was too scared to dive in. I think I'll just try it myself. The speakers themselves are in really great shape.

I emailed "Great Plains Audio" but the 14 is not really............
GPA is a cottage industry/business. Simply put, to make answering email inquiries a priority would be cost destructive/prohibitive to a small operation like theirs.

More or less common knowledge among most Altec enthusiasts is the fact that a short, sweet, to the point phone call to them generally yields solid answers to most inquiries.

Don't the 19's go for over a thousand $$$????

The 14s don't struggle. At anything. They are Very efficient and can handle anything you throw at them.

The 14s don't struggle. At anything. They are Very efficient and can handle anything you throw at them.

20hz at 150db? You said anything...

Pretty sure efficiency doesn't make the woofer handle more power. Just makes them easier for the amp to handle.

Last edited:
The Model 19's maximum output level and bass extension would be substantially better than the MLs, I do believe.

The Model 19's maximum output level and bass extension would be substantially better than the MLs, I do believe.

Looks like its cone area vs excursion. If the Altec 515 woofer is a lot like the 19 woofer then the excursion of the 19 peaks at .80 inches.

So if the 8" "high excursion" woofer in the Martin's can push past 1.8 inches x its 8-inch cone area it will move enough air to catch up to the 19's woofer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom