Pulled the woofers out of my Altec Lansing Model 14's.......

I don't understand how people can slam a speaker that they have never heard before? I had an idea how I thought the 19s would sound, that changed when I actually heard them.

Hello, I want to ask you a question, did you have problems when taking off the woofer from the wooden cabinet ?. I have a pair of Model 14 and the "packing" that is between the driver (woofer) and the wood has been stuck in a way impossible to get out of hand.
Is there any solvent for this without mistreating the wood ?, someone knows?
Another query, after years, someone has managed to fully identify the diagram of the cross over and someone has a solution to recondition them without including external devices ?.

Thanks for your comments.

you could use a handheld hair drier to >carefully< heat the rim and soften the "packing", If you're going to refoam the woofers you would not need to be too careful with the heat.

I'll bet that Phil's suggestion of the hair drier (or heat gun) will work fine. I've also read about using a guitar string to wiggle between the driver frame and the wood to cut the mounting gasket free.

I've used a hobby knife with flexible blades (or a thin, flexible scraper blade) to carefully cut the gasket.

Fortunately, the Model 14 woofer is not recess-mounted, so there are a number of options open to you that will not damage the cabinet.

GeeDeeEmm

800px_COLOURBOX1181469.jpg

149113_big.jpg

Regarding Model 14 woofer cones, I have a response to Jalarco and a question for Altec experts please:

Jalarco, simply speakers [edit: foregoing is error, source I have linked is Speaker Exchange] lists two re-cone kits specifically for the Model 14: Cheaper shiny black "aftermarket" cone and more expensive "brand new Altec" cone. Further, replacement cones are listed on Great Plains Audio's site << the go to guys for Altec. Further, the woofer part number for a Model 14 is identified above in this thread. I doubt very much the Santana II uses the same woofer.

Question for Altec Experts: About a year ago I bought a pair of Model 14s. Love them. They were re-coned before I bought them. The cones are shiny black and look identical to the cheaper re-cone kit that I linked above. What am I missing by not having the official (GPA, I guess) Altec cones?

Thanks.

IMG_0333.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your suggestions.
I'm going to do this job just get the cone and the suspension to make the change.

A query, you know if the Woofer of the Model 14 is the same as the Santana II and you also know if the kit that is published here is the correct one for the Model 14.
https://www.simplyspeakers.com/altec-speaker-recone-kit-model-9-RK-ALMODEL9.html#tab-3

Thank you for your comments.
Regarding Model 14 woofer cones, I have a response to Jalarco and a question for Altec experts please:

Jalarco, simply speakers lists two re-cone kits specifically for the Model 14: Cheaper shiny black "aftermarket" cone and more expensive "brand new Altec" cone. Further, replacement cones are listed on Great Plains Audio's site << the go to guys for Altec. Further, the woofer part number for a Model 14 is identified above in this thread. I doubt very much the Santana II uses the same woofer.

Question for Altec Experts: About a year ago I bought a pair of Model 14s. Love them. They were re-coned before I bought them. The cones are shiny black and look identical to the cheaper re-cone kit that I linked above. What am I missing by not having the official (GPA, I guess) Altec cones?

Thanks.

View attachment 1146484

You help me a lot with that information. Where I live is very difficult to get good quality parts. I think I will opt for the original spare parts. I hope it will not be repaired again in many years. well worth the effort of a few dollars more.

Regards

Looks like its cone area vs excursion. If the Altec 515 woofer is a lot like the 19 woofer then the excursion of the 19 peaks at .80 inches.

So if the 8" "high excursion" woofer in the Martin's can push past 1.8 inches x its 8-inch cone area it will move enough air to catch up to the 19's woofer.
I own a set of 19s and in the world of dynamic range... how loud it will play... the ML will have no comparison to the Altecs. One might prefer the sound of ML at any volume they can play, but in terms of dynamic range, the Altec 19 wins hands down.

Where I live is very difficult to get good quality parts. I think I will opt for the original spare parts.

Jalarco, for your further information, Great Plains Audio is the successor company to Altec -- so to speak -- and highly regarded among Altec fans and experts. I do not know if the "brand new Altec" kit sold on speaker exchange is made by Great Plains Audio. If I was re-coning my 14s, I would get the cones made by GPA, so I'd either buy direct from them or check with speaker exchange and see if their product is made by GPA.

Also GPA performs repair on Altec products and likely could do the repair work on your woofers. (Actually, if I was re-coning my 14s, I'd send them to GPA.) But about shipping from Peru, I know nothing.

Having said all that, my knowledge is limited. I'd do whatever bowtie recommended.

Jalarco, for your further information, Great Plains Audio is the successor company to Altec -- so to speak -- and highly regarded among Altec fans and experts. I do not know if the "brand new Altec" kit sold on speaker exchange is made by Great Plains Audio. If I was re-coning my 14s, I would get the cones made by GPA, so I'd either buy direct from them or check with speaker exchange and see if their product is made by GPA.

Also GPA performs repair on Altec products and likely could do the repair work on your woofers. (Actually, if I was re-coning my 14s, I'd send them to GPA.) But about shipping from Peru, I know nothing.

Having said all that, my knowledge is limited. I'd do whatever bowtie recommended.

Thanks for your comments, but sending the speakers to GPA would be really expensive, bordering on the impossible. I am going to publish the evolution of the work that we are going to do locally.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom