Purchased a new tool box from Stanley Tools

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I came to the realization that the storied "Parts Stash" was an unorganized mess. The big stuff is in well marked boxes but the small parts, :dunno: I have Nakamichi branded locking banana plugs. I am sure I put them in "that" tool box but when I went looking for them I could not find them, still haven't. I need a better storage solution. I found this Stanley tool box. "Stanley Hand Tools STST19900". What I particularly like are the bottom snap-on parts compartments each with it's own handle that snap on the bottom of the main tool box. I wanted a plastic box and this one has great reviews from contractors. I ordered the basic tool box and 2 additional snap-on sections. Looking at the compartments in the top cover I already see a home for my Hammerhead electric screwdriver. One reviewers uses this box for his BBQ tools and spices.

1D3E98AD-95D0-4D1C-B422-2673580F5EB5.jpeg
FA4E6541-50E3-4CDF-B81A-E6CE4DEC2E80.jpeg
83C52FFE-82BF-49E9-872B-42033861AF2D.jpeg
4C35E8BA-165C-46B4-8779-11BCBD1D74B8.jpeg

Last edited:
I have been eyeballing something like this ..For parts storage.
QPRS-601_YL.jpg

My tools box and parts storage are buildings.
I gather and stash.
Never know what I’ll need.
I have tools and parts I haven’t used... yet.

It’s organized like the world.

I know where most thing are or could be.

My main problem is multiple homes.
Sometimes stuff is in the wrong home.
So I gather and store multiple copies.

My tools box and parts storage are buildings.
I gather and stash.
Never know what I’ll need.
I have tools and parts I haven’t used... yet.

It’s organized like the world.

I know where most thing are or could be.

My main problem is multiple homes.
Sometimes stuff is in the wrong home.
So I gather and store multiple copies.

Same here: There's a place for everything, and everything's someplace
...but it's usually faster to just go to the hardware and get a new one, than spend all morning looking for one of 4 or 5 I already have.

Same here: There's a place for everything, and everything's someplace
...but it's usually faster to just go to the hardware and get a new one, than spend all morning looking for one of 4 or 5 I already have.

That can happen for special things.
Since I am semi-rural, a trip to the store is a trip to town. That can burn many hours or a whole day. And I’m at the point where I have better inventory than most stores. And the stuff I need usually isn’t in the stores.

I grew up hearing “we can order that”.
Well, now we have the internet.
I CAN ORDER IT!

I fix stuff most people cannot fix.

I am working on a new deal now and found a great tool in my stash that works perfectly for part of the procces. It’s an old hand shear. Well made so you know it’s OLD. Works great so you know it’s old. It’s something between an industrial scissors and a tin snips. Love it.

I have been eyeballing something like this ..For parts storage.

No Durham is what you want. Durham makes the best all metal storage bins that exist. Completely expandable. And amazingly cheap. These are what you would find in a machine shop.
http://www.durhammfg.com/

757C51CC-2567-45C8-A7FE-49DC2067D204.jpeg

These are what the drawers look like. Each drawer fits in a sliding bracket the drawer pulls out with but if necessary you can lift each drawer out and take it to were you might need it.

All metal this one you can move the dividers to suit.
39902233-C54C-4AA4-8CAE-82479CEFAD8D.jpeg

This one has fixed compartments, note the concave bottom which makes it easy to fish parts out.

BE20CC71-AA2E-42CC-BFB0-2E075E810465.jpeg

Last edited:
No Durham is what you want. Durham makes the best all metal storage bins that exist. Completely expandable. And amazingly cheap. These are what you would find in a machine shop.

View attachment 1231011

These are what the drawers look like. Each drawer fits in a sliding bracket the drawer pulls out with but if necessary you can lift each drawer out and take it to were you might need it.

View attachment 1231012

This one has fixed compartments, note the concave bottom which makes it easy to fish parts out.

View attachment 1231013

Actually, I was gonna mention these. Bought my first set a year ago. About to order another.
Here's a link to a distributor:
https://www.zoro.com/durham-drawer-...s-gray-307-95-d931/i/G0784235/#specifications

Wow.
I did indeed order a second set of the smaller Durham parts boxes through Zoro....
.....and it arrived 49 hours later.
Now that's what I call free shipping.

I might add that shipping these things can't be cheap. They weigh 30+ lbs.

Last edited:

View attachment 1231011

View attachment 1231012

View attachment 1231013

Thanks for posting. I am getting my garage organized and have been looking for something like this that doesn't break the bank. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Vidmar/Lista are, by far, my favorite storage solutions; however, they are too expensive unless you're operating a relatively robust business. That said, Durham is a great solution at a reasonable price.

I'm really liking the Stanley parts boxes that snap together I can grab the ones I need to bring into the job from the van, snap them together, and carry in one hand. I've called my work van the rolling hardware store for years. The workbench in the garage however, is stacked so high with parts and misc you can't even see the tabletop or the storage bins on the wall!

Great info & ideas. I like the Durham stuff, for sure.
I still haven't found my ideal parts solution, but am ok with a plethora of different storage boxes/bins for now (helps for first pass locating!).
BUT. I found I could no longer comfortably lift my main 'holds nearly everything' tool box, and wanted something smaller and lighter to hold the 'fixes 90% of stuff I work on'.
Since I have a number of Festools, I dabbled with their parts systems, but are too pricey (the OPs Stanleys are probably better for that), and not always 'inversion friendly' for little stuff. (Great for bigger tools though.)

Then, a light bulb: For a few years I'd laughed at the little Festool Mini-Systainers, but it dawned on me that they might work really well for carrying a decent assortment of stuff around the place to the project at hand.
Plus, they latch and stack together really easily.
So, I got one, then another, and then another. I'm smitten now. Sometimes can be found for less used (and the grey one helps for easy identification)...about $30 ea, IRCC. The weird thing is that I've considered getting a 4th one, but don't know what I'd put in it! (Maybe 'parts needed'?)
I have one for small hand tools (ratchet drivers, multi-screw drivers, pliers, etc etc), one for the Fluke meter, and one for a small bendy Makita (white) power driver (with room left over for a very small drill, too).
(Got one of these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A50NB2Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
for manual driving, too - fits perfectly with various bits & extensions)
Now I 'pick & stack' the ones I need at the moment; lightweight, holds a LOT of stuff, and gets me through almost all repairs or small 'build' projects...and still haven't filled them with tools yet.
Very happy with 'em - and STILL surprised they work so dang well.
_1020472 Festool mini-sys SM.jpg _1020471 Festool mini-sys SM.jpg _1020453 Festool Mini Systainer SM.JPG

Back
Top Bottom