Purchasing first system (your opinions are valued)

You people are the best. Thanks again for all the information. Opinions on new or old, doesn't matter to me. I am learning as I go and the fact anyone would waste their time trying to help me out is definitely appreciated.

Mister Pig, thank you for searching the local CL. I have seen that Pioneer and am considering it for sure.

You people are the best. Thanks again for all the information. Opinions on new or old, doesn't matter to me. I am learning as I go and the fact anyone would waste their time trying to help me out is definitely appreciated.

Mister Pig, thank you for searching the local CL. I have seen that Pioneer and am considering it for sure.

At the risk of repeating myself, just think about what you really want. You listed some vintage-ey units, but then listed features you will only get on a modern receiver.

If you want to be able to stream, use a USB turntable, play AAC/MP3, etc. a modern receiver with all that stuff built in will serve you much better than getting a vintage receiver and a bunch of add-ons.

Just sharing my experience!

I have an opportunity to get a pair of Klipsch SF2 speakers for $180 for the pair.
often times when shopping used (which I much prefer because I am a tight wad), I find it is often the availability of a component and the timing of the deal that can make or break my final purchase decision.

you have to start somewhere, and I sure as hell wouldn't kick a $180 pair of Klipsch towers out of bed. that seems like a smoking deal for a pair of high efficiency speakers. they're rated at 96db sensitivity!! since they are so efficient, any of those receivers would power them nicely.
https://www.cnet.com/products/klipsch-synergy-sf-2-speakers/specs/

I have an H/K 730 Twin that sounds incredible, so I am biased towards that H/K 330B in your list, but I am also drawn to the weirdness and the power rating of the JVC.

you could pick up a network capable cd/dvd/blueray player that could handle streaming, DLNA, wtc AND plays the 1's and 0's from those round shiny things.

I have an inexpensive Sony BDP-s5100 bluray player that can play SACD/CD/DVD/BD, some audio file formats, plus has WiFi, can stream via DLNA, has physical Play/Stop/Eject buttons... I also can control it via an app on my iPhone. currently, it just lives connected to my TV for video streaming and video disc duties only.... though eventually, I wouldn't mind getting something like it to expand my vintage 2 channel setup's digital capabilities.

I have an inexpensive Sony BDP-s5100 bluray player that can play SACD/CD/DVD/BD, some audio file formats, plus has WiFi, can stream via DLNA, has physical Play/Stop/Eject buttons... I also can control it via an app on my iPhone. currently, it just lives connected to my TV for video streaming and video disc duties only.... though eventually, I wouldn't mind getting something like it to expand my vintage 2 channel setup's digital capabilities.

Hey I have the same unit. I like it but remember (like most cheaper blu ray players) it doesn't have any analog audio outputs so you would also need a DAC of some time to connect it to a vintage system.

I use it for YouTube and Netflix, and it's certainly serviceable for that, although the Netflix interface is no where near as polished and sexy as what you get with say an Apple TV.

Have you tried music streaming with it? I got it to connect to my music server but when I went to actually play something it choked and stalled. I think I have too many files for it to deal with.

It is pretty cool playing SACD to my Yamaha receiver via HDMI ;)

Seriously?

Well I didn't mean for it to be insulting but I'm not going to apologize for challenging the cult-like devotion to vintage that permeates this site.
Cult-like,because the majority of members here don't like what you like were a cult.Yeah and I'm the high priest.You should come to our compound,we sacrifice Home Theater receivers and DACs every week.:rolleyes:

Hey I have the same unit. I like it but remember (like most cheaper blu ray players) it doesn't have any analog audio outputs so you would also need a DAC of some time to connect it to a vintage system.

I use it for YouTube and Netflix, and it's certainly serviceable for that, although the Netflix interface is no where near as polished and sexy as what you get with say an Apple TV.

Have you tried music streaming with it? I got it to connect to my music server but when I went to actually play something it choked and stalled. I think I have too many files for it to deal with.

It is pretty cool playing SACD to my Yamaha receiver via HDMI ;)
interesting to know you froze it up streaming music with it! i haven't tried myself... were you streaming via wifi or a hard wired network cable? embarrassingly, I only recently realized it's full suite of capabilities! (i'm a bit of an analog luddite...) yeah, if i do move this unit to my 2 channel setup, I was considering the Shiit Modi Multibit DAC.

i've been down a twisting rabbit hole of research for the last 6 months, trying to decide how to reintroduce CD's and music files back into my life. I have 13GB of music on my old laptop... I used to stream to a Airport Express, but several years ago I retired digital formats from my system. I still have all my CD's, but 90% of them are down in my garage. I recently dusted off my old Sony DVP-NH710H dvd player for occasional CD use in the 2 channel setup. it has a 16 bit DAC and analog outs... i love how slimline it is. I barely notice it sitting on top of my cassette deck.

trying to decide whether I want streaming on the 2 channel setup vs setting up a modern surround system for the TV, that could also handle any streaming duties. i'm leaning more toward the surround setup. i currently use a Klipsch sound base for my TV sound.

Sorry to derail the thread so bad with my own audio path, but I hope it gives the OP more ideas of mixing modern and vintage.

Cult-like,because the majority of members here don't like what you like were a cult.Yeah and I'm the high priest.You should come to our compound,we sacrifice Home Theater receivers and DACs every week.:rolleyes:

ROFL.

He needs to change his name to "Hyperbole". First, there are "no" good vintage units left, now those of us that like them are members of a cult.

mhedges, Many people love this hobby and many of us love vintage and many of us love vintage AND modern equipment (like me). When somebody asks about what vintage item to recommend a lot of us jump at the chance to talk about various vintage items we have owned or heard, because (wait for it) we like to talk about the equipment we love. I also like to talk about HT receivers in the HT forum because the way modern TV/DVD/BR shows are encoded, the reality is that if you want great sound while watching those formats, one rather needs a modern unit to fully enjoy them IMO. I prefer to listen to two channel music through vintage systems because I think the sound quality is as good or better as modern two channel units, not a cult, just a preference. You just got called out for some statements that have very little, if any, basis in fact.

trying to decide whether I want streaming on the 2 channel setup vs setting up a modern surround system for the TV, that could also handle any streaming duties. i'm leaning more toward the surround setup. i currently use a Klipsch sound base for my TV sound.

After going back and forth for years about which to use, I just have both. In the living room I have a Marantz 2220B, 6100TT with a set of Imperial 6s speakers. In the same TV stand I also have a Sony HT receiver for surround sound 5.1/Playstation use. And in the same system I have a Marantz DV6001 DVD/SACD player that has both HDMI and analog outputs. I use the HDMI out to the TV for DVDs and the analog outs to the Marantz receiver for two channel playback. The 20watt Marantz simply sounds better for music playback than the 90 watt (in two channel mode) Sony HT receiver, although the HT unit sounds far from bad.

There are few absolutes in this hobby I have found.

interesting to know you froze it up streaming music with it! i haven't tried myself... were you streaming via wifi or a hard wired network cable? embarrassingly, I only recently realized it's full suite of capabilities! (i'm a bit of an analog luddite...) yeah, if i do move this unit to my 2 channel setup, I was considering the Shiit Modi Multibit DAC.

i've been down a twisting rabbit hole of research for the last 6 months, trying to decide how to reintroduce CD's and music files back into my life. I have 13GB of music on my old laptop... I used to stream to a Airport Express, but several years ago I retired digital formats from my system. I still have all my CD's, but 90% of them are down in my garage. I recently dusted off my old Sony DVP-NH710H dvd player for occasional CD use in the 2 channel setup. it has a 16 bit DAC and analog outs... i love how slimline it is. I barely notice it sitting on top of my cassette deck.

Sorry to derail the thread so bad with my own audio path, but I hope it gives the OP more ideas of mixing modern and vintage.

It is hard wired. I have something like 200 GB of music - about 11,000 songs, and that must have been too much to index (assuming it does some kind of index, I'm not sure).

I have found with streaming there is no comparison in convenience with 2 channel analog vs. wifi/networked receiver - the wifi receiver is so much easier to use and more reliable. I used to have a pretty high end Sony ES front end and I did not notice any significant drop in quality switching to the receiver, and there are no dropouts any more. I really hated any dropouts as they take you out of the music and kind of ruin things, at least for me. Now full disclosure I am still using semi-vintage Sony ES amps to drive the main channels - maybe I would notice a difference if I used the receiver to drive them.

OP: Chicago is only two hours away and we are fortunate enough to have several great hi-fi shops in the area. With careful planning you could visit at least a couple of them to listen to a wide assortment of gear within your budget. Most carry gently used trade-ins that offer great value,especially if you purchase a complete system all at once.

I read it not a lot of reply's.
That's because it's closed for replies. Quite a few likes, though.

Never understood the whole "vintage vs new" thing, given that amplifier and speaker technology have been pretty well refined since the 1930s, and very well refined since the mid to late 1940s (I'm thinking of the classic Williamson amplifier in particular here), which means there's excellent gear to be found in every era since then including brand new.

Quality gear is quality gear, no matter when it's made.

That's because it's closed for replies. Quite a few likes, though.

Never understood the whole "vintage vs new" thing, given that amplifier and speaker technology have been pretty well refined since the 1930s, and very well refined since the mid to late 1940s (I'm thinking of the classic Williamson amplifier in particular here), which means there's excellent gear to be found in every era since then including brand new.

Quality gear is quality gear, no matter when it's made.

Really? That's not my understanding. I'm not an expert on amplifier or speaker design history. But I do know that from a sound quality perspective there generally isn't a lot of love for the very early solid state amps. And the early giant speakers from the 50's? No thanks.

I did come off a little harsh and I regret that. And I'm not saying that there wasn't good gear made back in the late 70's. But it's getting to be near 40 years old, and few things work as well as they did new when they are 40 years old (not unlike myself).

My hangup is the feature set. If the OP said he wanted an amp to use to play records connected via traditional RCA then sure I would say go vintage if you can find something decent. But he said he wanted to do stuff that to get a one box solution you need a modern unit. Not that you can't do it with vintage but you need add ons that increase cost and complexity and just aren't as easy to use.

Really? That's not my understanding. I'm not an expert on amplifier or speaker design history. But I do know that from a sound quality perspective there generally isn't a lot of love for the very early solid state amps. And the early giant speakers from the 50's? No thanks.
Ah, but that's the corollary to my previous comment about quality gear being quality gear, no matter when it's made:

Crap gear is crap, no matter when it's made.

In every era since "hi fi" became a thing, there are items of notable quality, high desirability and superb sound, along with a lot of rubbish.
I did come off a little harsh and I regret that. And I'm not saying that there wasn't good gear made back in the late 70's. But it's getting to be near 40 years old, and few things work as well as they did new when they are 40 years old (not unlike myself).
True, but some folks are dead set on getting vintage gear, for whatever aesthetic, sentimental, or any other illogical but emotionally-justifiable reasons. I note the OP's post reflects an interest in vintage gear, and he might not have the technical background to know that playing digital sources will require more than just a vintage integrated amp and some speakers.
My hangup is the feature set. If the OP said he wanted an amp to use to play records connected via traditional RCA then sure I would say go vintage if you can find something decent. But he said he wanted to do stuff that to get a one box solution you need a modern unit. Not that you can't do it with vintage but you need add ons that increase cost and complexity and just aren't as easy to use.
That is perhaps exactly what the OP needs to know.

You mention that you want good sound, don't want this to be an extended search of thrift shops and estate sales, have a $1000 budget, want to play analog, and like speakers with a fair amount of bass and slam. What is not mentioned is where you live and what used markets or dealers you have access to.

The one option is to go to a dealer with pre-owned audio equipment. You won't pay less money than a CL purchase, but you will get a piece that has been checked out and often has a bit of warranty. Many mid sized cities have stores that deal in only used audio, or retail stores that have a used audio room or shelf. This is just one option.

Choosing speakers unheard is a bit riskier way of doing things, but it can be done. I lived in a small Eastern Washington city for 20+ years, and bought all of my audio gear over the Internet unheard. I did pretty well and put together some good systems. However, its not an option for everyone. But the speakers will define how the system sound, so getting a chance to listen to them is a good course of action, and you might be able to pick up a good pair locally. For the type of sound you describe, I would be looking at various Klipsch, JBL, perhaps Cerwin Vega, certain Infinity, perhaps floorstanding Mission, Paradigm, Sound Dynamics, and several others to choose from. If you can find your speakers locally off the used market, that would be the best option. But sometimes some very good speakers like the JBL S series come up for sale as refurbished from dealers on Ebay or other sites that have closeouts, and shipping is free. That makes them an awesome value. But the downside is that you are buying unheard, so you have to do your research carefully and be willing to take a bit of risk.

For amplification, don't forget a quality integrated amp if you are not a user of AM/FM. You will get a better amplifier for your money with a quality integrated versus a receiver. Integrated amplifiers are kind of shunned by the serious American audiophile, so they don't command as high a price on the secondary market as separate amplifiers and pre amps. There is a lot of good value going this way.

If you can find a quality used turntable from the 80's or 90's, I think there is a lot more value there than the current entry level offerings being produced today. The trick is to find one that is well cared for, and the seller knows how to pack if its being shipped. The Technics SL 1200 is a good example of one that can be modestly priced, rugged and dependable, and offer respectable sound. With a bit of shopping you should be able to find a well care for example under $400.

This is excellent advice...

I sincerely want to thank all of you. I got a Marantz 2030 off Ebay that is due to arrive tomorrow. I and really excited. It is a beautiful machine. I have read all your replies and taken all the advice. This is a great forum. Thanks again and all the best to all of you.
Congratulations! I hope you thoughrly enjoy your new amp.

Audiofreak71

Back
Top Bottom