"Pure Acoustics" tower speakers...anybody got or knows them?

Quadman2

Lunatic Member
I have a bud who had picked up a pair of "Pure Acoustic 77's that he wants to sell me. He says that they are just too big for his condo kitchen/living area.

They really look smart with a shiny veneer finish, and with three front speakers and a side base in each. If I remember right, he said that they were powered as well. They are quite slender and I know the wife would like to replace my DIY three speaker pair that I built which are 18"W x42"H x17"D. The "PA's" are a lot thinner, but taller.

These newer ones are heavy as heck, when last week he had me being them up from the basement, so that may account for the heavy weight, eh? After a brief listen, they tended towards the mids in sound and not as pronounced in base as what my 12" Wharfedales produce....but they are about 25 years newer.

He only wants $175 for the pair.

So, anyone out there ever have or have experienced these speakers?

Thanks,

Q2

Hello
No. no experience but.......... they smell ''White van ''... from my point of view.

Newer is not always better.

Are these the speakers?

img0_s1.jpg

http://pure-acoustics.com/design/v4/speaker.php?id=109

Never heard of this brand. The specs are not that encouraging, for example they claim "36-22KHz" frequency range but not with a +/- db for that range. Always suspect.

They are passive speakers, not powered. Telltale sign is whether they have a power cord and a volume control.

I would not automatically assume anything just because they are pretty and heavy and newer. You already think they are too midrange-forward so listen to your ears. Also they originally came with a sub and if you don't have one, you will find them lacking in bass, which you already noticed.

I'd probably pass.

http://pure-acoustics.com/design/v4/speaker.php?id=109

Never heard of this brand. The specs are not that encouraging, for example they claim "36-22KHz" frequency range but not with a +/- db for that range. Always suspect.

They are passive speakers, not powered. Telltale sign is whether they have a power cord and a volume control.

I would not automatically assume anything just because they are pretty and heavy and newer. You already think they are too midrange-forward so listen to your ears. Also they originally came with a sub and if you don't have one, you will find them lacking in bass, which you already noticed.

I'd probably pass.

True four times around! Should have noted "no cord"..but thought maybe it was a terminal plug set up at the bottom, eh?

And thanks for the info re. the missing "sub".

These towers are becoming less pretty all the time. I guess I could clad the DIY's with a fancy veneer. Took a course in it, so no big deal on my part, but did not have this skill when I first built these mastadons. :)

Thanks for the input!

Q2

PartsExpress sells/sold this brand as well. Very inexpensive -- which I view as something of a red flag, a priori.

Back
Top Bottom