Pure i-20 iPod dock

BmWr75

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
The Pure i-20 dock sells for $99 in the U.S. A Cambridge Audio DacMagic runs $429. The Pure i-20 extracts a digital signal from the iPod line out jack on the bottom of the iPod. It has an internal 24 bit/196 kHz DAC. Also will put out a coaxial or optical digital signal to an outboard DAC.

I did an A/B comparison between the Pure i-20 and a Cambridge Audio DacMagic today. The Pure i-20 was being fed Apple lossless files from a 160 GB iPod Classic. The DacMagic was being fed the same exact files via iTunes streamed wirelessly to an airport express using the optical digital out. Compared many passages of my favorite list of high fidelity recordings. Amazingly, the volume between the two sources matched exactly (to my ears anyway). The amp was a Matrix m-stage running a GD-Audio OPA-SUN opamp. Headphones were AKG K702s. The Matrix has two inputs and a front Source 1 & 2 switch. So, I could switch sources on the fly.

Bottom-line: I could hear no difference between the $99 i-20 using its internal 24/196 DAC and the $429 DacMagic DAC. IMO, the Pure i-20 is a killer deal.

attachment.php

Last edited:
That's really interesting. I'm using the Pure as a transport with a V-DAC and I noticed a smoothness that the Pure didn't have. That's probably the up/oversampling, which I'm not sure if the DM does. I agree that the Pure on it's own sounded quite good in comparison, though.

One question - how does the iStreamer compare?

Have not done an A/B comparison with the iStreamer yet.......but plan to do so.

The DacMagic upsamples to 24/96.

very interesting...

I have my eye on that Pure because I've been waiting for an affordable digital out iPod doc. Even without the DAC it is quite the deal. So it upsamples to 24/196 or just reads?

very interesting...

I have my eye on that Pure because I've been waiting for an affordable digital out iPod doc. Even without the DAC it is quite the deal. I assume it also has a digital out going around the DAC?

Yep, has both optical and coaxial digital out.

Tonight I did an A/B comparison between the Pure i-20 using its internal DAC and the HRT iStreamer. Sources were both iPod Classics with the same Apple Lossless files. Once again, compared many passages of my favorite high fidelity recordings. Used the Matrix mstage and K702 phones. Switched the sources using the front switch on the mstage. The volume level was the same between the two sources to my ears.

The difference in fidelity between the two DACs was small. The iStreamer may sound a little better, maybe a little more musical, maybe a little less smearing of the transients. Is the iStreamer twice as good as the i-20 (it costs twice as much)? No way, not even close. The i-20 is more flexible since it outputs optical digital, coaxial digital, analog and component video. The i-20 also includes a remote, so you are not tethered to the device, as you are with the iStreamer, to control it. The remote is not perfect, but it is good for the price. I do however find it easier to just control an iPod from the click wheel.

Had the wife do an A/B comparison also. She didn't hear any difference between the two devices.......granted she wasn't as interested in the project as me. But, she does have good ears.

Bottomline: Both the Pure i-20 and the HRT iStreamer are better deals than anything else out there that pulls a digital signal from an iPod, because both are also DACs, and pretty decent DACs at that. AND, both devices sound as good in this system as a Cambridge DacMagic that costs 2x-4x as much.

Maybe a better amp and/or headphones might be more revealing of differences between the i-20, iSteamer and DacMagic. Who knows? Maybe somebody else with better equipment will give a report.

Thanks for the review. I was thinking about ordering one (maybe more down the road) but my main question was related to it's internal DACs since it will be paired with systems that I don't currently use with DACs ( kitchen for now and sunroom in the summer). Now that I have an answer, I will definitely be buying one. How long did it take to get it after you ordered it?

Great stuff!

Was thinking of getting a DAC (DACMagic or V-DAC) for my i-20, but will shelve that idea for now. I run my i-20 with an iPod Classic that I use to carry tunes about both outside the home and within it (between bedroom and main systems)

I listen mostly to Apple Lossless recordings of my LPs (24 bit/48 KHz) - usually if I am too lazy to queue up the vinyl.

Running my i-20 through my Sonic Frontiers preamp and out through my Maggies has really impressed me. Ditto with my headphone setup (Little Dot Mkiii to AKG 701s)

Thanks to all for bringing this up and contributing their experiences. Would not have found out about the i-20 if not for AK.:music:

Question: how far back in the iPod line does support go?

I know the HRT specifies you can't go further back than the iPod Classic - which means G5 owners are out of luck.

I think there's an issue with how the signal is passed, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the same limitation on the Pure, but if you can confirm/report, I'd appreciate it.

tks,

s.

I know the HRT specifies you can't go further back than the iPod Classic - which means G5 owners are out of luck.

I think there's an issue with how the signal is passed, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the same limitation on the Pure, but if you can confirm/report, I'd appreciate it.

tks,

s.

Apple changed the pinout between generation 5.5 and the first iphone/ipod touch/ipod classic. They did this because of the huge unauthorized aftermarket that existed. They were not making money off of it. So they moved the video decoding externally and licenced the chips out needed to playback video. In doing this the audio out pins were moved around.

As much as I hate apple, there is still nothing as durable and easy to use as an ipod. So i own one. And am very much interested in this dock.

Can anyone find a US link to buy one of these?

tks,

s.

I believe the Pure i-20 works with the same devices as the HRT.

Just pulled the lever on one of these.

I like the design, I'm not even sure I will use the internal DAC but it's great to know it is there. I'm pretty fond of the Music Hall DAC 25.3 and I can't imagine it can match it.

Digital out on a great stand is worth the price alone!

Back
Top Bottom