Purging 2017, moving again, after only 2 years here.

Soundjunky

This will be short for now(sorry, not short), I am must purge again. The first time was after admitting here on AK how bad it had gotten. The 1st purge was small, but felt good after it was over. Shortly there after my Mother passed away, at that point I had to do a much larger purge, so all the complete 5.1 surround sound systems of low quality went to the same thrift stores I purchased them from. Lots of Sony, Samsung, Panasonic/Technics, Wal-mart, Costco, K-mart & other discount store box systems. I had put a lot of effort making these little cheap 2.1, 5.1 & the rare 7.1 systems complete Matching components, wires, adapters & occasional hand written instructions. At work I was known as the go-to guy for a cheap systems, car stuff too. But this ended with the last move. Now I only have well known and fairly accepted name brands by other in-the-know audio enthusiasts. Not to say everything I have is high dollar, but the lions share is great equipment. Some of the late model Boston Acoustics, select Samsung & Sony, Insignia & a few others which are made in China would be frowned on and they may be the next to go. But the sickness is still there, I passed up a set of (perfect 10/10) Advent Prodigy speakers which needed foam for $40, but after 2 weeks of thinking about it, I returned to the consignment store and they were still there. I considered it a sign they should go home with me (that was a month ago). A week ago I was standing in my favorite thrift store (I was hunting a power supply), when a worker wheeled a set of (7.5/10) Prodigy speaker needing the same as the ones I recently purchased. Aside from a light cup ring on one and a lighter ring on the other (foams for both) these were in fine shape and at $9.95 each, sadly they went home with me. We are hunter/gathers and it was almost instinct or a knee jerk reaction. Even though I didn't think the 1st ones I refoamed sounded that good, but I did unplug a E60 JBL and changing wires to hook up the press terminals on a sealed cabs. I Love big bass ports. Ok, boring the pants off you guys so I'll stop, but another big purge is coming again! I'm going to list some possible victims, but no JBL stuff goes, for that matter no Harmon stuff will go, so please don't mention my E60s. Thanks!

Moving is the biggest motivator to limit the collection for me.
I've been eyeing some new speakers for a while but the thought of lugging a 300lb pair of speakers to wherever I end up has given me pause.
I've already got a few 50-80lb power amps and figure that's more than enough.

I'd say if you get a kick out of hunting, start hunting for music instead. Moving media is still a pain but much easier than a bunch of receivers and speakers.

Collecting things to refoam and otherwise fix up is fine as long as they go OUT the door - for at least even money, and hopefully a profit towards upgrading your own stuff. If it's not going out, physics will eventually catch up with us. :p

Good luck on your pursuits.

I mean this with absolute sincerity; perhaps you should consider professional help. Gear hoarding is a compulsory outlet that stems from something else, and it's worth exploring and confronting. Especially if this has happened before. A bunch of audio folks on a forum can't help you, that's for sure!

There's nothing wrong with you, and seeking professional help BEFORE things get out of control is very normal and healthy. Personal improvement is a lifelong endeavor.

Dan

I remember you, and have wondered how you are doing. I hope your next purge goes well. On a smaller scale I, too, struggle with passing up "deals" at times, even if it's something I don't need (which, there is nothing audio-related I actually NEED when it gets down to it). What helps me when I see something marginal at the store, or when I'm considering donating something, is saying to myself something to the effect of "I'm going to let someone else have this, who will enjoy it more than I will." That really gives me peace of mind. There have also been times where I've donated stuff and seen it for sale at the same store. I come back a week later and someone has bought it. That makes me feel good to know that someone else is enjoying what was just sitting in my garage unused. Then there have been other times when it didn't sell quickly, and that made me realize that a lot of this stuff we buy isn't all that desirable to most people at the end of the day. That, too, comforts me in parting with it.

I think it's great that you recognize that you may have an issue with accumulating stuff. You aren't weird. We all have our "ticks" that make us unique. But it sounds like your stuff is bringing you major anxiety, and when it gets to that point, it needs to be addressed. I've been at that point, and still am to an extent, but I am chipping away, slowly but surely, and making some progress. It feels good, and freeing. Best thing you/we can do is just stay out of the thrift stores. It's like an alcoholic going to a bar, he WILL find alcohol, and you/we WILL find "deals."

Also, very sorry about the loss of your mom. Don't let the hoarding ramp up to fill her void. I've seen that happen so many times on the show Hoarders. Best of luck to you. Check in and tell us about your progress as it happens!

Moving is the biggest motivator to limit the collection for me.
I've been eyeing some new speakers for a while but the thought of lugging a 300lb pair of speakers to wherever I end up has given me pause.
This has played a part in not buying a few sets of large towers, but thanks for the suggestion. Since my Moms passing & the last move, I have purchased about 8 sets of speakers, most were smaller sets the Polk RTI A9s, & both sets of Advent Prodigies. But the purchasing is under control, partly due to people who Love me and monitor me closely. They did miss a few, but for the most part I'm being honest.
Best thing you/we can do is just stay out of the thrift stores. It's like an alcoholic going to a bar, he WILL find alcohol, and you/we WILL find "deals."
This has never been a more true statement! Thanks for saying it. On my 10 or so visits to thrift stores, 8 have resulted in great finds, that I couldn't pass up. The same with the monster size consignment store near me, out of 3 visits, 2 resulted in purchases, one resulted in 3 items, costing about $135.00, but they were very good merchandise and deals (see there I go). Not going into the stores is the only way to abstain. Everyone doesn't see value in vintage audio & sell it cheap to rid them selves of it, every time they upgrade. Six year old speakers don't seem past prime, heck 20 year old speakers seem new to me. This move will separate more of the items I should & must part with. In this coming months, I will use this thread or a fresh one to ask the community what their take on a set of speakers, powered sub or amp, which will help me thin the herd. Thank you for all your support, Howard.

I mean this with absolute sincerity; perhaps you should consider professional help. Gear hoarding is a compulsory outlet that stems from something else, and it's worth exploring and confronting. Especially if this has happened before. A bunch of audio folks on a forum can't help you, that's for sure!

There's nothing wrong with you, and seeking professional help BEFORE things get out of control is very normal and healthy. Personal improvement is a lifelong endeavor.

Dan

Just about everyone that has a passion for a hobby—be it firearms, cameras, antiques, or stereos, —collects. I certainly wouldn't assert that it's a problem manifested by some underlying problem on an open forum. Besides, just about every profferer of the so-called science of psychology I've met are about as stable as a thirsty hummingbird.

Just about everyone that has a passion for a hobby—be it firearms, cameras, antiques, or stereos, —collects. I certainly wouldn't assert that it's a problem manifested by some underlying problem on an open forum. Besides, just about every profferer of the so-called science of psychology I've met are about as stable as a thirsty hummingbird.

My experience doesn't match that of yours, per your last sentence.

I'm not the one suggesting that he needs help - his own posts on this forum over the last few years look to me to be a request for some kind of help from this group. I'm merely suggesting he talk to someone trained in the profession, rather than strangers on a forum.

I'm no one to talk down to someone or suggest that I'm better or more stable than they are. I'm just trying to be up front and sincere and provide an alternate perspective. Hopefully it reads and is taken that way, but perhaps not due to the delicate nature of the subject.

Dan

Sorry for not replying since writing last, I'd like to thank those of you who answered back. I've been writing about what I do because it is therapeutic, but also to know that I'm not alone in how I feel of what I am trying NOT to do. Others examples and answers to how others deal with the same issues which I cope with are vey helpful. I'm really glad to know I'm not alone, when I enter a shop looking for something else & from across the store I see an item (usually speakers) and feel a burning urge to investigate. I passed up a set of Magnepan short speakers, standing at about 40", one was putting out not highs and both needed repair on the outsides, so no telling what they needed on the inside. At $59.96 they seemed like a deal and the old me wouldn't have thought twice about taking them to the front to hold for me while I went for cash. The fellow who evaluates & searches eBay for likely prices must have been watching the security camera in the back, because he popped out as soon as I turned away & offered them for $50. I told him there were too many possible problems & they might (& likely) needed a full rebuild. He offered another discount of $40, but I let him know the cost of repairs could buy a fairly good set & thanked him for the offers. I did pick up & buy a 36"cylinder unpowered with a 10" subwoofer with a 32" long, 2.5" diameter port & 4-3"aluminum spikes. It has no identifying brands, it does have a top made of speckled Formica (like a kitchen counter top) & the outside seems to be covered with a speaker grill fabric sock, glued in places to keep it from being removed. I removed the sub and there was only a part number, but at least a 20oz mag & 2" coil with 5 way binding post. Asking price was $19.96, the electronics guy was out there since I had wanted to remove the speaker, (by the way, lots of fiberglass deadener) I asked if they would take less & an offer of $13.99 was made a he said it was the best he could do until it sat longer, so I bought it after testing the subwoofer. I don't really plan to use that sub, but I have the guts from a passive subwoofer by Sound Labs, driver refoamed recently. The input & output might have to be relocated to the side, but no big deal. 1st though I need to hear it to see if it's worth my time. I have soooo many powered subwoofers and a few passive models, but they are all boxes. I've never owned a tube type subwoofer for the home, I have had 2 for the car & they sounded very good. I found a single pic of a Sonotube which resembled my model fairly closely, other that that no info is available, I'm on my on unless someone has or has had one or another brand which I've read about but found no pics. Thanks to everyone who has read my post. Thanks more to those who reply without judging, you guy & gals are the best! AK all the way.

I guess that's an advantage of living in a small town hit hard by the economy in the past few decades. Not much in the thrift store. And only one:)
But I would suggest turning your attention to the music. Vinyl, CD, tapes, can all take on the same degree of obsession if not more so. It takes up less space, never needs fixing which costs more money, and can be enjoyed forever.
I have a friend that is like that. Rooms full of media and yet he's at the record store several times a week buying, selling, and trading. But hasn't bought any new equipment in years.
Just something to think about.

nothing wrong with collecting - you need a primary system, backups for each component. then
there's stuff that needs repairs.

I came to the conclusion I had too much in the wrong things. I thought it out and decided I'd
rather have more music than hardware.

there was a great movie from the 70's "the Great Race" where they took apart the passenger
compartments for the wood to feed the engines...

once collecting hits a (high) peak, then it's time to sell, down-size, etc

the golden age of selling is starting, there are so many flippers out there, LPs and
turntables are both skyrocketing in prices.

I tell folks to buy, and fund retirements - if not for money then for the pleasure of
fulltime music and even fixing stuff.

good luck
Bob

I am out of collection phase now. I have no money to buy because I am in repair mode. I have had a Model Eight Deluxe, a G-8000, an SX-1250,1280 and an Onkyo TX-8500MkII all sent out for refurb by various AK gurus. It is not cheap. The last one sent out using the same double box cost $155 each way because FedEx is adding a size penalty. At $300, just for shipping is really putting a dent in my plans for future rehabs.

This will be short for now(sorry, not short), I am must purge again. The first time was after admitting here on AK how bad it had gotten. The 1st purge was small, but felt good after it was over. Shortly there after my Mother passed away, at that point I had to do a much larger purge, so all the complete 5.1 surround sound systems of low quality went to the same thrift stores I purchased them from. Lots of Sony, Samsung, Panasonic/Technics, Wal-mart, Costco, K-mart & other discount store box systems. I had put a lot of effort making these little cheap 2.1, 5.1 & the rare 7.1 systems complete Matching components, wires, adapters & occasional hand written instructions. At work I was known as the go-to guy for a cheap systems, car stuff too. But this ended with the last move. Now I only have well known and fairly accepted name brands by other in-the-know audio enthusiasts. Not to say everything I have is high dollar, but the lions share is great equipment. Some of the late model Boston Acoustics, select Samsung & Sony, Insignia & a few others which are made in China would be frowned on and they may be the next to go. But the sickness is still there, I passed up a set of (perfect 10/10) Advent Prodigy speakers which needed foam for $40, but after 2 weeks of thinking about it, I returned to the consignment store and they were still there. I considered it a sign they should go home with me (that was a month ago). A week ago I was standing in my favorite thrift store (I was hunting a power supply), when a worker wheeled a set of (7.5/10) Prodigy speaker needing the same as the ones I recently purchased. Aside from a light cup ring on one and a lighter ring on the other (foams for both) these were in fine shape and at $9.95 each, sadly they went home with me. We are hunter/gathers and it was almost instinct or a knee jerk reaction. Even though I didn't think the 1st ones I refoamed sounded that good, but I did unplug a E60 JBL and changing wires to hook up the press terminals on a sealed cabs. I Love big bass ports. Ok, boring the pants off you guys so I'll stop, but another big purge is coming again! I'm going to list some possible victims, but no JBL stuff goes, for that matter no Harmon stuff will go, so please don't mention my E60s. Thanks!
The higher end you focus, the less you can take home :thumbsup:

I can't tell you how many times I've been tempted to go and look at a some monster receivers be it a Pioneer 1980's or Marantz rack for $300. All eventually gone within an hour of listing on CL. Instead I pass it onto threads here in A.K. or just move on.
Remember your in this for the long haul and the "deals" will ALWAYS, ALWAYS be there. Trust me.

My rule is that I don't store equipment I'm not using and everything I own has to be functional and useable, as in plugged in. I have just one system. I have a backup Turntable but it is out and accessible and there are a few tape decks I rotate (cassette and 8-track). I sold the last of the stored stuff last year. JBL L112's and JBL L65's so I could upgrade my amplifier. It feels good to have just one pair of speakers, one preamp, one amp. Now I just buy music. Records are all accessible and ready to play.

I'm glad you AKer's have good hearts and understand the allure of buying that next best piece of equipment. I have resisted buying any sound equipment since the sub tube (in my last reply). I've made the move to my new location and so far have brought the best of what I own, at least into my living space. The out building has some stuff I've stored, bagged & boxed for future sale or use. I'm going to refrain from listing what I'm keeping, since I tend to feel as if I'm trying to impress readers. Right now I'm trying to use the components which sound best to me and have read others feel the same about the said item. There have been times in the past where I've bought items on other peoples opinions, (mainly speakers) without a true audition (at a reasonable volume with multiple types of music or sound effects). It's only later that you realize that the reviews you read my have been from someone who just upgraded from a boom box, computer speakers or have just been limited in what they have owned. Again I'm feeling like I am bragging or being pompous, but when you have lucked out and have had the wonderful opportunity to have listened to and own some of the audio equipment that so many seasoned listeners have written fondly of, you begin to understand what others are appreciating. A very true & real fact is that most (not all) of the best sounding equipment cost a lot of money, which is the reason most of my gear is 10 - 20 years old. At some point someone did pay a lot of money for the audio equipment and sold it used for more than I could afford, then they got rid of it and I found it. I have paid high prices for very little of what I own. I still like looking at eBay & Craig's List, but for fun, my sound system is currently finished for now, just not set-up yet. Thanks for your comments, opinions & advice, none of it goes unread, Happy Upgrading.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to buy another preamp the cheap Kenwood pre I have driving my QSC 1400 & USA 400, which burnt out last night. The KC-208 was sufficient, but burnt out at a very low listening volume. I opened the case to find that the two main capacitors had spilled their guts at the bottom of each cap. They were not puckered at the top, rather it seems the lowest part of the cap had corroded and released what ever was in them (they seem completely dry). I have another Kenwood KC-207 which seems to be no different, so tonight when I return, I'll replace it and see how it sounds, the 208 had a hiss & an occasional pop which came through on both amps. I'm using an EQ between the preamp & amps, a very good unit called a Sabine Graphi-Q model no.GRQ-3102. I did have to use phono to RCA adapters, but it worked just fine even though it was 17 years old. Thanks & I'll check you folks later. PS, I do wonder if the preamp is work keeping to repair for a back-up, I only one other preamp ( a very basic Akai, I think ), then I'll have to buy another unit

What helps me is not going into all the thrift stores - and setting a lower limit on what I want to own.
Went through a lot of the lesser JBLs but I'm cure of that (mostly) ...
When its bad I have to stay off the forums or I get jazzed up to get a specific thing ...
moderation is possible, but you have to work at it to do so ...

Sorry for not replying since writing last, I'd like to thank those of you who answered back. I've been writing about what I do because it is therapeutic, but also to know that I'm not alone in how I feel of what I am trying NOT to do. Others examples and answers to how others deal with the same issues which I cope with are vey helpful. I'm really glad to know I'm not alone, when I enter a shop looking for something else & from across the store I see an item (usually speakers) and feel a burning urge to investigate. I passed up a set of Magnepan short speakers, standing at about 40", one was putting out not highs and both needed repair on the outsides, so no telling what they needed on the inside.

Thanks to everyone who has read my post. Thanks more to those who reply without judging, you guy & gals are the best! AK all the way.

Back
Top Bottom