Putting an old friend back into service- Billy Graham’s amp

a gay friend that works for Fox

Never thought I'd read those words... and on AK....

You are right, he was an actual person. The beginning of Prosperiy Theology was real too I suppose.

upload_2018-3-10_6-46-5.png

Funny stuff ! Love this thread!

I guess if Billy Graham owned a Fisher, then their IS some forgiveness that is due. :)

but it is unfortunate how he must have paid for it... "Write me a check, and you too, will receive the keys to heaven" That should have been Avery's slogan, not Billy's.

Never thought I'd read those words... and on AK....

View attachment 1133902

Funny stuff ! Love this thread!

I guess if Billy Graham owned a Fisher, then their IS some forgiveness that is due. :)

but it is unfortunate how he must have paid for it... "Write me a check, and you too, will receive the keys to heaven" That should have been Avery's slogan, not Billy's.

Probably Robert Tilton.

I wonder what audio setup Cardinal Sheen had at St Pat's... another on-air religious figure that few remember today...

Best Marlene Dietrich quote when she met Cardinal Cooke: "Dahling, I love your dress but your handbag is on fire."

I would love to get my hands on Andy Kaufman’s turntable...

Fire up the long version of 99 Bottles of Beer ... He'd sing the entire song, and had a stooge in the audience who'd yell out ONE MORE TIME !! <G>

I do post production work for a couple of record companies. The first job I got from one of them was doing a 1/2 track 1/4" RTR transfer to digital plus cleanup then burned to CD's for the Mormon Tabernacle of their choir at the 1964 New York World's Fair. My head hurt for two days after completing the job. They liked it so much I was given a nice cash bonus. I destroyed my copies of everything related to the project afterward.

I do post production work for a couple of record companies. The first job I got from one of them was doing a 1/2 track 1/4" RTR transfer to digital plus cleanup then burned to CD's for the Mormon Tabernacle of their choir at the 1964 New York World's Fair. My head hurt for two days after completing the job. They liked it so much I was given a nice cash bonus. I destroyed my copies of everything related to the project afterward.
CBS in the 1980s?

I remember hearing them live (I was 9 years old) at the 64 Worlds Fair. It's a wonder I had any hi end left after all the screeching and caterwallering. I'd rather watch cat fights (two or more toms fighting over a female in heat!). And my mom thought it was great sounding. I just now figured out WHY I love Gregorian chants. They are all in the low registers!!!!!

My father sang tenor with them for 16 years, several family friends were members. By most standards a world class ensemble of the highest standard. Members are volunteers on their own time and nickel, vetted for professional level competence. Who one knows or familial relationships carry no weight whatsoever for selection.
Large scale choral performance is wallpaper to my young life, I also liked the Beach Boys and the Rolling Stones as much as Brahms, Bach, and Beethoven.

My father sang tenor with them for 16 years, several family friends were members. By most standards a world class ensemble of the highest standard. Members are volunteers on their own time and nickel, vetted for professional level competence. Who one knows or familial relationships carry no weight whatsoever for selection.
Large scale choral performance is wallpaper to my young life, I also liked the Beach Boys and the Rolling Stones as much as Brahms, Bach, and Beethoven.

They are truly world class. I heard them when I was just a boy. They were practicing for a 4th of July concert in the Tabernacle in Salt Lake. Heard that massive pipe organ in all its glory. I didn’t really appreciate just how special that moment was until years later.

The memories of their incredible Christmas music remain with me to this day. In my opinion, the Cornwall era was one of their finest.......

Dave

He's gonna get his own thread closed. Perhaps deservedly.
Hey,
Calm down guys...so what if this thread strayed a little off topic?
I'm interested in Tom's impressions now that his SA300 is back in his system. How does it stack up against his other amps? What are each of his amps strengths and weaknesses?
What's his favorite amp and why?
What's his favorite tube? EL84, EL34, KT66?

Is there something about any of his amps he wishes was different?

Thanks Rich, my fault for straying from the intent of the posting..

After listening to the amp for the last few days, I’m very happy with the results.
First of all, the amp is dead quiet now. I had recapped all the film and electrolytic caps a couple of years ago and it sounded good, just a very slight hum that I figured was par for the course.
I replaced all the cc resistors with cf Takman Rex and most of the ceramics with silver mica (including those two that looked like resistors).
The amp now seems warmer than it had, it seems closer to the SA100 now, just with a lot more power.

I think my SA100 might be "clearer" than my SA300, but I prefer my SA300 because it has a fuller, more natural sound.

I'm going to have to swap in my SA100 one of these days.

Both great amps and I'm very fortunate to own them.

I think my SA100 might be "clearer" than my SA300, but I prefer my SA300 because it has a fuller, more natural sound.

I'm going to have to swap in my SA100 one of these days.

Both great amps and I'm very fortunate to own them.

It would be interesting to my SA300 side by side with a stock one to see how it stacks up. I am bringing home a Marantz 8b this weekend to see how that PP el34 circuit matches up..

I had the opportunity tonight to compare my SA100 to my SA300B....
They both have the same "sonic signature" (Fisher sound)", but on my system, the SA300B has a slightly"ballsier" sound.

Both great amps. I could live with either.

Back
Top Bottom