Putting It All Together

musichal

poet emeritus

Mark Levinson No. 585 Integrated Amp
Monitor Audio Silver Series 6 Speaker Pair
SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofers (2)

Okay, so it really isn't all together yet. Not until I get the Chromecast Audio set up and plugged into the Levinson's excellent DAC. But the components listed above are all finally in place, and I've been listening via Tidal (laptop and Schiit), and PRN over the Sony XDR-F1HD Tuner.

Just as several AKers have been saying the last couple years or so, dual subwoofers beat the hell out of a single. Wow. And these are the best subwoofers I have owned, though admittedly my experience only includes a few brands - Klipsch, Velodyne and Paradigm. The Velodyne was a small 8" early servo model, not one of their best but good for the size and at the time. A few others, too - a Phase Tech that wasn't bad, and some other entirely forgettable odds and ends of Sonies or Yamahas. Some inexpensive Polks. None came close to these SVS for music, which is my focus - if they sound good for music, then they're fine for home theater. Not necessarily true for vice versa in my experience.

This is also the best positioning I've had, beside the main speakers to the outside. I now have the best-sounding system I have ever owned. Dynamic, clean, and able to play at SPLs beyond my loudest levels without strain. This is the kind of sound I had in mind when I ponied up for the amp. Will it remain so for me over the coming weeks, months and years? I give that a definitely probable maybe.

Woo-hoo! Camping happily in the recliner and enjoying music with nothing about SQ to irritate and distract me. Enjoying music, not analyzing sound or gear. Where I hoped to be, and hope to stay.

OTOH, maybe I'll sell it all and start over next week. :whip:

Last edited:
OTOH, maybe I'll sell it all and start over next week.

You could sell tickets and webcast the "discussion" you and Christine will have and you could pay for an upgrade!

:lurk:

Seriously, though, really happy it's come together so well for you. I thought the system sounded really good, but that was two or three versions ago! I can only imagine what it's like now!

Mark Levinson No. 585 Integrated Amp
Monitor Audio Silver Series 6 Speaker Pair
SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofers (2)

...None came close to these SVS for music, which is my focus - if they sound good for music, then they're fine for home theater. Not necessarily true for vice versa in my experience.

...Woo-hoo! Camping happily in the recliner and enjoying music with nothing about SQ to irritate and distract me. Enjoying music, not analyzing sound or gear. Where I hoped to be, and hope to stay.

OTOH, maybe I'll sell it all and start over next week. :whip:

Congratulations on bringing it all (primarily) together, musichal. I've read a boatload of reviews and watched a ton of video reviews in regard to SVS subs and they get unanimous high ratings in regard to performance and user satisfaction. Used in combination with the pair of Monitor Audio Silver Series 6 loudspeakers? Yeah. You're simply going places every time you play an album. An excellent pair of floorstanders with the bottom frequencies being filled by some of the best consumer subwoofers on the market makes for an undoubtedly enjoyable experience. I don't know what genre(s) you primarily listen to, but I bet dollars to doughnuts that your classical and rock selections are about to take on another order of enjoyment with the addition of the SVS 12s to your setup. Just make sure you have no item to rattle of of tables nearby.

"So what do you think, dear?"

"It sounds good..."

"Damning it with faint praise?"

"I just liked the Khorns better."

"You do? Or you just miss the furniture aspect?"

"Well, that is hard for me to separate, but some movies I can barely hear the dialogue, then it blows me out of the room at the action parts."

"Yeah, but the Khorns did that some, too. On some movies, as you say. I think they concentrate more on the surround mix than they do the stereo, though. Most TV shows aren't like that, but some movies are. The Khorns have a more up-front, in-your-face midrange that may've helped some movie dialogue. What about for music?"

"Well, the Khorns sounded fine for music. These do sound good, and unlike movie dialogue, I can understand words to songs more easily. So, maybe these are better for music."

"I posted on AK that I might sell all of it next week and start over."

"Oh, god no. You'll work me to death. Do we have to keep these big boxes again?"

"Yep. If we had to send a subwoofer back to SVS we'd have to have the boxes and packing materials - or buy new boxes. Who knows what they'd charge? Probably a hundred bucks."

"I don't know why everything has to be so big."

"We just down-sized from Khorns to these little towers. Went from separate to an integrated amp-"

"Unh-uh, that amp is too heavy to call it a downsize."

"Okay, I'll give you that one. But we went from 350-pound-per-pair speakers to 80, so that more than makes up for it."

"There's something wrong about that logic, somehow. Anyway, if you do sell it all to buy something new, let's just get one of those little Bose things. They're the best sound you can buy, anyway. Maybe ten pounds, or so."

"Now you're just trying to be funny."

"Hey, a girl can dream, can't she?"

"And here I was bragging that you'd gotten spoiled."

"I am. I was just kidding about the Bose."

"Good."

"Kinda."

:dunno:

Congratulations on bringing it all (primarily) together, musichal. I've read a boatload of reviews and watched a ton of video reviews in regard to SVS subs and they get unanimous high ratings in regard to performance and user satisfaction. Used in combination with the pair of Monitor Audio Silver Series 6 loudspeakers? Yeah. You're simply going places every time you play an album. An excellent pair of floorstanders with the bottom frequencies being filled by some of the best consumer subwoofers on the market makes for an undoubtedly enjoyable experience. I don't know what genre(s) you primarily listen to, but I bet dollars to doughnuts that your classical and rock selections are about to take on another order of enjoyment with the addition of the SVS 12s to your setup. Just make sure you have no item to rattle of of tables nearby.

I listen to many genres - rock, jazz of various stripes, classical, blues, pop, country, bluegrass, and more. All sound great to me.

I'm glad I went with the sealed-cab subs, for size and sound.

Right now I'm listening to Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert. Amazed how good the piano sounds. It doesn't have to get any better than this for me to reach nirvana.

You aren't getting analitical in this thread and this not focus of it. Which Schitt dac are you using with you're PC? After you get you're Chromecast hooked up, would like to hear your impressions, how your streaming sounds. I have not heard your room, but I'm fairly sure your dac and Chromecast won't be limited by any weak gear.

Back
Top Bottom