Qobuz HiRez streaming has finally hit the U.S. and it’s really really good

Today I have been doing an A~B comparison of Qobuz 24bit/192kHz Hi Res vs Tidal Master 24/192kHz and Tidal MQA clearly sounds superior. I made a video of the two on my iPhone and could clearly hear Qobuz tracks were noisy. The piano on Tidal was much more pleasing to listen to on MQA vs Qobuz Hi-Res.

First I want to make it clear that this is not a Tidal vs Qobuz thread , second that’s nice that you find Tidal’s sound quality superior to Qobuz and third please provide the 24/192 song file for @ldatlof, thanks .

Audiofreak71

Today I have been doing an A~B comparison of Qobuz 24bit/192kHz Hi Res vs Tidal Master 24/192kHz and Tidal MQA clearly sounds superior. I made a video of the two on my iPhone and could clearly hear Qobuz tracks were noisy. The piano on Tidal was much more pleasing to listen to on MQA vs Qobuz Hi-Res.
Which tracks?

Knowing which tracks would allow others to replicate your experiment.

Well I was wrong... 24/192 files are not down sampled to 24/96 - they don't play at all. I will look for a an option in LMS to see if I can turn on down sampling. The Tedeschi Trucks Band album Signs is 24/192 (5370 kbps) whereas David Bowie's Let's Dance is 24/96 (3164 kbps). Bowie plays, TTB doesn't.

I guess it is time too hook up my HiFime Optical DAC to my main system and see what Qobuz can do.

@grey - thanks for the tip

Something that may help the LMS guys save songs and albums to the Qobuz favorites. I had to click on the song title while it was playing and step through the highlighted menus from the side bar.
Let me know if you find an easier way to do this.

upload_2019-2-15_14-8-41.png

Trying to sign up from my iPhone and it’s only given me CD quality option. Is it a mobil vs PC thing like Tidal?

4C75AF99-E91F-4300-9E20-7EC95E59632D.png

I got LMS to down sample from 24/192 to 24/96 by enabling the C-3PO plugin and changing one setting. TTB is now playing.

I noticed that a new program called sox is now running and using about 25% of the CPU. It doesn't seem to effect anything. No dropouts or stuttering.

sox.png

Hopefully I can, all I have is my work laptop and the Navy has made us put those things on lockdown.

Edit: doing the same on the website in Safari

Can you advance the menu by selecting on the blue dot at the bottom?
upload_2019-2-15_14-37-55.png

Today I have been doing an A~B comparison of Qobuz 24bit/192kHz Hi Res vs Tidal Master 24/192kHz and Tidal MQA clearly sounds superior. Tedeschi trucks band Signs~Still your mind track. I made a video of the two on my iPhone and could clearly hear Qobuz tracks were noisy. The piano notes on Tidal extended longer was much more pleasing to listen to on MQA vs Qobuz Hi-Res.

View attachment 1420825 View attachment 1420827 View attachment 1420828 View attachment 1420829
And that you can tell all that just from a video comparison on an iPhone is amazing! :beerchug:

Today I have been doing an A~B comparison of Qobuz 24bit/192kHz Hi Res vs Tidal Master 24/192kHz and Tidal MQA clearly sounds superior. Tedeschi trucks band Signs~Still your mind track. I made a video of the two on my iPhone and could clearly hear Qobuz tracks were noisy. The piano notes on Tidal extended longer was much more pleasing to listen to on MQA vs Qobuz Hi-Res.

View attachment 1420825 View attachment 1420827 View attachment 1420828 View attachment 1420829
You know what?
I did the same comparison, and thought that Qobuz didn't sound near as good as Tidal.
But then I realized while playing Qobuz there was a strand of speaker wire slightly out of alignment with the others.
I fixed that, and now I can't tell the difference!

I use an iPhone X and have had no problems I have the studio package and can stream 24/192.

Audiofreak71

I haven’t played with it yet, Just thought since I was joining thru the iPhone app it may limit to CD quality like Tidal does from the model App since it is not even giving me the studio option.

Edit: and if that’s the case then it’s a none starter for me since my streaming is my primary source when I travel (HP), which I do all the time.

Last edited:
Trying to sign up from my iPhone and it’s only given me CD quality option. Is it a mobil vs PC thing like Tidal?

View attachment 1420877
Are you attempting to sign up via the Qobuz app from App Store? Is so, then you'll get hit with a 30% Apple surcharge on the subscription. It looks that's what yer doing as the pricing is borked....by 30%.

Back
Top Bottom