QSD-1000...the real deal?

Toka

Space Cadet
I've been doing a ton of reading about various Quad/Sansui/you-name-it the past 3 weeks, somewhat outlining my plan of attack for vintage bliss (want to get a kickin' SS setup first, then move into higher-end tubes). Anyway, from what I've read the QSD-1000 seems like the holy grail in terms of quad...I read QuadBob's site, but was hoping for some other user input...figured if any of the owners were out there, they would be on here. I know it won't be close to cheap, but wanted to get an idea...a QRX-9001 would be Plan B...is it a difference in performance or merely collector bragging points?

Qs

Toka said:
I've been doing a ton of reading about various Quad/Sansui/you-name-it the past 3 weeks, somewhat outlining my plan of attack for vintage bliss (want to get a kickin' SS setup first, then move into higher-end tubes). Anyway, from what I've read the QSD-1000 seems like the holy grail in terms of quad...I read QuadBob's site, but was hoping for some other user input...figured if any of the owners were out there, they would be on here. I know it won't be close to cheap, but wanted to get an idea...a QRX-9001 would be Plan B...is it a difference in performance or merely collector bragging points?

I doubt you can find a QSD-1000 for sales. There are not many of them.
You can search for a QSD-1 which has three Vario Matrix built in.
One for Bass, one for Midrange and one for Treble. Sounds very good and separation is 20dB or more. I know I have one but I haven't used my QSD-1 for 25 years.

I have met QB in person a few times. He lives not two miles from my house. I sampled the QRX-999 which is the euro black face version of the 9001, and the QSD-1000. Between the QSD and the modded decoders he had in his 999 It was very had to tell the difference. If you are a collector and a pur quad-head with lots of money to spend the QSD-1000 + a quadbob restoration would be the ticket.

Having personally tackled a 9001, i can say that it will be probably the most complicated receiver that you will ever work on. It is not for the faint of heart nor the beginner tech, but If you are brave enough to pin and resolder everything (joints go very bad), re-cap everything, remove the blending resistors on the decoders, calibrate the decoders, Properly set the 25 volt supply, and get everything back together without a hitch, MORE POWER TO YOU!!!

THe end result is a very impressive receiver that will leave you drooling as the music is thrown from channel to channel. With the blending resistors removed, I've heard the seperation something rediculous like 40db! THe QSD-1000 is an awesome decoder (probably the better close relative of what's in the 9001), but the 9001 is prettier to look at, and the 999 looks way cool with the black face.

Thanks for the replies. Not looking to rebuild anything like this myself, so that wouldn't be the issue...only issue is time (got nothin' but), and money (got nothin', but...). I'm indifferent as to the cosmetic difference between the 999 and 9001, I guess I could make a case either way. If it comes down to a situation where the QSD-1000 is double the cost than I probably couldn't justify it...probably. :D Assuming one is ever found, that is.

Another suggestion would be to go with something more up-to-date. The Involve Surround Master v2 decodes QS amazingly well, decodes SQ better than the Tate, and does a great job of creating surround from stereo sources. It goes for $599, but if you're also a member of the QuadraphonicQuad forum, there's a discount available. It's the best sounding quad matrix decoder I've ever heard, and I've heard a lot of 'em.

Back
Top Bottom