Quad 11L Classic

Oh my where to start.

Hard to imagine more different speakers that the Dynaudio X12's, Quad 11L Classic's and the Epos M5's.

The Epos M5's have the characterstic Epos midrange and hot top end. They are unabashedly bright on top and not as well balanced as their big brothers the M12 (not to be mistaken for the M5i or M12i which were gawd awful speakers). The Epos midrange as I hear it is wide open and a bit threadbare. Lots of detail but without much of the harmonic richness to give all of that detail real meaning to my ears. Still a fun listen as the openness of the speaker can reveal information that you may not have heard before.

The Quads are about the opposite. Well balanced tonally but with a bit of a dark overall character. Detail is there but it sneaks up on you as it isn't immediately noticeable. This is not an overtly detailed speaker. Some folks call it a bit slow or boring...usually folks who have heard the previous two versions. The Classics are actually quite good at every type of music. If you like a lively speaker (read bright) this is not the speaker for you. If you prefer a detailed speaker with a warmer overall character the Quad's just may be the ticket.

The X12's by comparison are the best balanced. Far less bright than the Epos but more lively than the Quads. The Quads go a little lower on the bass and not as extended on the top. I love the balance of the X12's but don't find myself wanting to sell the Quads at present either. Not much info for ya but hey if you have any more specific questions feel free to ask.

hi Art,

thanks for your comment, it is a long time after your reply for my question, i have trouble with my internet connection, and has a lot of work, now already free to continue my hobby interest. :music:

i was selling my epos m5, and want to buy a speaker to replace my epos. i have two system, for home audio and HT,

Home Audio : dyn x12, Nad 326bee, arcam cd72.
HT : yamaha rxv 467, Oppo 83, HTPC, speaker???

so for the future setting for HT i plan to buy quad 12l classic, my room is about 4 x 4 m, there is some question for you, please give advise for me, because in my area, i cant make home audition.

1. which one is more suitable for my room space 11l or 12l? from the spec the low frek for both speaker is same, so i think weather to choose 12l or 11l will not sound boomy to my room, but 12l has a better scale than 11l, and for some reviewed from 12l and 11l old product, 12l has a better sound overall.

2. you said that the quad was a bit darker sound presentation, so is it good for home cinema system?

3. i found my old epos m5 is very easy to drive with yamaha rxv467, and my dyn need more power rather than epos, how would you compared the quad with the dyn x12, which one is easier to drive?

Regards,

Richard

Hello - long time lurker but 1st time poster.

I bought the quad 11l classic a few weeks ago (partly because of the recommendation in this thread) and I'm very very pleased with them. They look really nice (I got the black piano finish) and they sound great. If I close my eyes I can hear a really good soundstage and the sounds are very distinct and well placed. I run them from a denon m39 - it's a mini hifi combo and the quads replaced the stock speakers.

In fact I only have one problem - at high volumes or during orchestral tutti passages, or when opera singers do their acuti, there's a very unpleasant buzz or smearing especially at the higher frequencies and the bass becomes muddy and indistinct. In the concert hall/opera house there's a sense of airiness and bloom that just doesn't show up here. The CDs are fine and they sound good off my headphones. I think the problem is my amp is too weak - it's just stated as 30w into 2 channels at 6ohm and the quads are 30-150w at 6 ohm so they do fit within the minimum specs, though just barely.

to cut short the long story - Are there any amp recommendations for a good pairing with the quads? I listen about 90% to opera on CD and DVD/blu ray. I know the rega brio-Rs get a lot of praise but it's twice the price of the Quads and I'm not sure that I can or should spend that much, since many people say you should spend the same amount on the amp as on the speaker. So I was thinking of amps around $500 or $600 and would there be anything in that price range that would be good, or should I really stump up the extra for the Rega? I dont think i can do demos with the quads as it would not be possible where I live - I might be able to demo with other speakers but that's not the same isn't it? I would also prefer if the amp could last me a couple of upgrade cycles ie if i change speakers in the next 3 or so years it would be able to power a good upgrade on the Quads, maybe one of those panel speakers or something, but this is not necessary.

edit: my source would be a cheapish CD/DVD player through optical to a DAC. Other options I was looking at are the Yamaha range (A-S500/700), and also the marantz 6004/7004/8004 depending on the price I can find them. I would prefer going new than used.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Hello - long time lurker but 1st time poster.

I bought the quad 11l classic a few weeks ago (partly because of the recommendation in this thread) and I'm very very pleased with them. They look really nice (I got the black piano finish) and they sound great. If I close my eyes I can hear a really good soundstage and the sounds are very distinct and well placed. I run them from a denon m39 - it's a mini hifi combo and the quads replaced the stock speakers.

In fact I only have one problem - at high volumes or during orchestral tutti passages, or when opera singers do their acuti, there's a very unpleasant buzz or smearing especially at the higher frequencies and the bass becomes muddy and indistinct. In the concert hall/opera house there's a sense of airiness and bloom that just doesn't show up here. The CDs are fine and they sound good off my headphones. I think the problem is my amp is too weak - it's just stated as 30w into 2 channels at 6ohm and the quads are 30-150w at 6 ohm so they do fit within the minimum specs, though just barely.

to cut short the long story - Are there any amp recommendations for a good pairing with the quads? I listen about 90% to opera on CD and DVD/blu ray. I know the rega brio-Rs get a lot of praise but it's twice the price of the Quads and I'm not sure that I can or should spend that much, since many people say you should spend the same amount on the amp as on the speaker. So I was thinking of amps around $500 or $600 and would there be anything in that price range that would be good, or should I really stump up the extra for the Rega? I dont think i can do demos with the quads as it would not be possible where I live - I might be able to demo with other speakers but that's not the same isn't it? I would also prefer if the amp could last me a couple of upgrade cycles ie if i change speakers in the next 3 or so years it would be able to power a good upgrade on the Quads, maybe one of those panel speakers or something, but this is not necessary.

edit: my source would be a cheapish CD/DVD player through optical to a DAC. Other options I was looking at are the Yamaha range (A-S500/700), and also the marantz 6004/7004/8004 depending on the price I can find them. I would prefer going new than used.

Thanks all!

NAD C326BEE. Excellent amp and well priced.

Good luck. I hope the new amp solves the problem. Perhaps you could borrow an amp to test.
Getting the NAD would be nice, I just wonder.

I am also enjoying the Classics, now with an old integrated amp, Onix OA21s from the 1986 rated at 60 watts. The Quad Classics also sound great with the Sonneteer Orton, 50 watt into 4 ohms (33 watts into 8 ohm).

It is possible that I have not pushed the speakers as hard as you did.

I hope this isn't the case, but since you're playing large-scale, complex music at high volumes, you might simply be encountering the dynamic limitations of small speakers. As I understand it, the physics of speaker design (and I'm waay out of my depth here) dictate that smaller cabinets with smaller radiating areas of the drivers just don't seem to keep their composure as well as larger speakers, when pushed hard. Then again, I suppose it really could be the amp!
-Bob

Hi Art,

finally bought quad 12l classic, my friend have 11l classic, compare both speaker, overall quad 12l have better performance.
12l a little bit more open and more dinamic compared to 11l.
bass definition more refined too.

Thanks to all who responded; I have started auditioning amps within driving distance.

I read a nice review of the NADs and the reviewer said it went well with the SOLTI ring but several reviews say it's a tad bass heavy which I don't really like.

I guess the fun is in the looking as much as in the listening!

Just thought I'd give this a bump. I'd be interested to hear from others with 11L Classic experience who might want to weigh in on whether the issue might be the partnering amp or the natural physical limits of a small monitor.

ccxx, I agree, the hunt is often more fun than the capture! Any news?

-Bob

Just thought I'd give this a bump. I'd be interested to hear from others with 11L Classic experience who might want to weigh in on whether the issue might be the partnering amp or the natural physical limits of a small monitor.

ccxx, I agree, the hunt is often more fun than the capture! Any news?

-Bob

The Denon mini system was his limitation as I never experienced the issue he discusses.

Time to report back:

Yes I can confirm the issue is the amp rather than the small monitor. i have the c3226bee now and the amout and volume of sound it can push is quite quite amazing. Especially the bass is deep and strong and thuds to perfection. As for high notes - during acuti there is less smearing and in good recordings it really opens out and there's more air and space around the note.

The only issue - which I hope will go away on burn-in - is that I seem to have been forced about ten rows closer the stage. I used to be about row R or S - 18-20 rows back and that was my favorite as there was enough space around that an orchestra is really clear and you can place individual sections very accurately. Now however it's as if I'm much closer in and the sources become noticeably muddier - where I could tell the difference between violin 1 and 2, now it just becomes a more amorphous mass of sweet tones. Point sources have become blob sources. It's not so distinct and granular and it's exactlay what it sounds like if you're too close to the stage and there isn't space for the soiunds to separate out.

The soundstaging accordingly feels smaller and more cramped and what happens is that sometimes it just doesn't sound real - it doesn't sound exactly like strings ought to sound. There seems to be a darker burnish. They can't reproduce the exact picture for me. And if Im being picky there's a bit too much sibiliance. Maybe that's what you have to deal with for the price.

What i can say (to get back on topic) is that these speakers are brilliant and I think they can do very well and show the difference with amps multiple times their price and I guess I wish I had pushed my budget out for a higher grade amp.

In movies the bass makes it really involving, but that's not very important to me.

I replaced the stock jumpers with $15 Hiyata 1ft interconnects - no discernable difference.

Good to hear, Art and ccxx. Perhaps with a new amp, it would pay to do some experimenting with the location of speaker and listening positioning? I share your preference for a slightly distant hall perspective, and perhaps moving things about a little will help.

-Bob

To be fair I may have been a little harsh and perhaps it was the effect of expectations; it really is a very good, sweet amp and there are no longer any high freq/vol smearing issues. It is still very enjoyable and I think the only big drawback from it is that unfortuantely now I am infected with the urge to upgrade :)

Hi Art,

I am just wondering what your thoughts were on speaker cable and interconnects for the quad 11L classics and the NAD 326 combo when you had them together? Did you have a chance of playing around with them and trying different options. Did you have a preference?
I just recently bought the same combo(speakers just bought on sunday!) And I must admit that your experience with them, is what had me very interested in them. So thank you for all your insight!
I haven't had much chance to listen, but from what I have. They are very enjoyable and for the price that I picked them up. I simply couldn't pass on them!

This set-up is strictly for my turntable and probably a DAC for computer bridge later. But I would love to hear your thoughts on cables. I currently have just a stock speaker cable and some entry level morrow interconnects. But it is time for an upgrade!

Thanks if you can Art!

Hi Art,

I am just wondering what your thoughts were on speaker cable and interconnects for the quad 11L classics and the NAD 326 combo when you had them together? Did you have a chance of playing around with them and trying different options. Did you have a preference?
I just recently bought the same combo(speakers just bought on sunday!) And I must admit that your experience with them, is what had me very interested in them. So thank you for all your insight!
I haven't had much chance to listen, but from what I have. They are very enjoyable and for the price that I picked them up. I simply couldn't pass on them!

This set-up is strictly for my turntable and probably a DAC for computer bridge later. But I would love to hear your thoughts on cables. I currently have just a stock speaker cable and some entry level morrow interconnects. But it is time for an upgrade!

Thanks if you can Art!

Wireworld Luna IC's and speaker cable. Unbelievable bang for buck. They will work a treat with darn near any setup.

Wireworld Luna IC's and speaker cable. Unbelievable bang for buck. They will work a treat with darn near any setup.

I will have a look into it, thanks again Art. Seems hard to find in Canada. I sent a message to the distributor to see who carries them.

You know I briefly had a pair of Quad's in my room Art? Given my tastes you know I actually really liked them a lot, they had a lot in common with the Spendor SA1 only the Quads had satisfying bass. In the end I had to make a decision not to overstretch my wife's considerable patience and sell them on.

To be fair I may have been a little harsh and perhaps it was the effect of expectations; it really is a very good, sweet amp and there are no longer any high freq/vol smearing issues. It is still very enjoyable and I think the only big drawback from it is that unfortuantely now I am infected with the urge to upgrade :)

I just popped by to say that this is a fabulous amp and the tone controls give you a lot of flexibility. The quads are so neutral and revealing they work very well together. My previous concerns about moving forward to the stage have been solved I placed the speakers another 2 feet apart and although the left one is very close to my bookshelves the sound is great now.

I am enjoying discs ive never liked before because the nad amp is giving them so much controlled dynamism eg Shostakovich 11th on the quads is just amazing.

Now I'm just hoping the nads can drive magnepan 1,7 which I plan for next upgrade in a year or so.

Quad 11LE

Hi there for all Quad 11L-fans!
I would like to join the club! For almost two months now I am a proud owner of a very nice pair of Quad 11LE speakers as well.
For those who read this topic I surely don't need to tell, it was love at first hearing.
I try to put some pictures of them here, too.
This is the limited series, only 250 pairs were made of them, this ebony finish is kind a unique, really beautiful, and much more in real life than on the pictures.
I am now the 3rd owner, but they came with all accessoires (box, gloves, original bags, certificate, manual) in mint condition. Of course I didn't need to brake them in.
I also have a question, maybe one of you could help me: they came with modified jumper, not with the original copper sticks, and I want to put other jumper cables to them, fitting my speaker cables. The manufacturer (all cables hand made and real good) needs the dimensions of the original sticks to be able to make the jumpers. If one please write here these data, I would appreciate... Thanks

Attachments

• quad11LE-1.jpg
    quad11LE-1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Quad11LE-2.jpg
    Quad11LE-2.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Quad11LE-3.jpg
    Quad11LE-3.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Quad11LE-4.jpg
    Quad11LE-4.jpg