Quad 34 balance pot: any replacement ?

david winter

Classical music lover.
Hi,

I didn't dig deep into Google on that matter but wonder if anybody knows where I can get a replacement balance pot for a Quad 34 preamp or if there's a mod to use a different type.

Thanks,

David

Would help to identify the construction of the device.
Size,value,gangs, hole cut-out etc.

5 years old thread I know, but just repaired one and this is straight forward solution to the problem - who ever might have it. Replacement balance pot does not exist anymore.
2 Images attached, one with the explanation taken from the dadaelectronics.eu , the other one my fixed unit. Original pot has to be REMOVED completely.

Attachments

• QUAD 34 Preamp BALANCE Buypass.jpg
    QUAD 34 Preamp BALANCE Buypass.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 136
  • QUAD 34 balance.jpg
    QUAD 34 balance.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Hi,

May of 2020 now. I have the same issue. I have a very good and cheap semi retired repair guy who has repaired several issues on a model 34 I recently picked up, but discovered that the balance control was beyond repair, so he's bypassed it. He still has it as he is awaiting another part for a 909 I have with him. I talked to him last night about trying to repair the balance and he indicated that, as I believe it's called, one of the wipers or 'springs' is missing, hence not fixable. I'm intrigued by your solution - But I'm not sure if this restores any functionality or if it's just a bypass - it might be exactly what he did, but not totally sure. Want to cover all my bases before I move on as I am balance control user. But if it does restore any functionality, in what way? Hope I was clear.

Best,

Daina

Hi,

May of 2020 now. I have the same issue. I have a very good and cheap semi retired repair guy who has repaired several issues on a model 34 I recently picked up, but discovered that the balance control was beyond repair, so he's bypassed it. He still has it as he is awaiting another part for a 909 I have with him. I talked to him last night about trying to repair the balance and he indicated that, as I believe it's called, one of the wipers or 'springs' is missing, hence not fixable. I'm intrigued by your solution - But I'm not sure if this restores any functionality or if it's just a bypass - it might be exactly what he did, but not totally sure. Want to cover all my bases before I move on as I am balance control user. But if it does restore any functionality, in what way? Hope I was clear.Best,
Daina

Welcome to AK. Yes you were clear but the answer is also (unfortunately ) very clear: above mod does not restore balance function as original pot has to be removed completely.
This approach repairs otherwise useless preamp, once wiper(s) get damaged you lose affected channel(s) altogether.

Ok, thanks so much! I did some further investigation and found https://quadrevisie.eu/prijzen.html. Armand van Ommeren. In the Netherlands. Use Google translate to translate the pages. He specializes in repairing all Quads. I queried him, in English, via email and he was very helpful, sending two solutions and pictures that I could forward to my repair guy here in the Seattle area. Here is the text of his email:

"My solution is to drill a hole in the frame between the volume control
and the tilt and fit a rotating potmeter of 1K linear stereo in that hole
and lead some wires to the potmeter from the PCB. See picture.

Another solution is finding a slider potmeter of 1K, 5K 10K linear
stereo (not critical) that fits on the PCB. Any big parts shop (or
on-line Conrad.com of mouser.com) will have that. The only problem is
fitting the lever on the potmeter."
Repair volume 1st example.JPG Repair volume 2nd example.JPG

My repair guy has a third suggestion that is based upon my own situation. That is that I seem to have a slight deficiency in my left ear, so, for me, I'm always adding more left than right. His idea is to use the one wiper I do have to control the balance in such a way that the right channel can be decreased with the control, leaving the left channel alone. He believes this will solve MY problem without having to drill holes/perform surgery. Although I'd rather it be 100 percent functional, I'm allowing him to explore this option. I will keep you posted. Hope this makes sense and doesn't duplicate something that's already been suggested.

Ok, thanks so much! I did some further investigation and found https://quadrevisie.eu/prijzen.html. Armand van Ommeren. In the Netherlands. Use Google translate to translate the pages. He specializes in repairing all Quads. I queried him, in English, via email and he was very helpful, sending two solutions and pictures that I could forward to my repair guy here in the Seattle area. Here is the text of his email:

View attachment 1884900 View attachment 1884901

My repair guy has a third suggestion that is based upon my own situation. That is that I seem to have a slight deficiency in my left ear, so, for me, I'm always adding more left than right. His idea is to use the one wiper I do have to control the balance in such a way that the right channel can be decreased with the control, leaving the left channel alone. He believes this will solve MY problem without having to drill holes/perform surgery. Although I'd rather it be 100 percent functional, I'm allowing him to explore this option. I will keep you posted. Hope this makes sense and doesn't duplicate something that's already been suggested.

View attachment 1884900 View attachment 1884901

Does the lever turn the potmeter enough? Seems to me the pot is turned around just a little bit this way....

Back
Top Bottom