Quad ESLs - your amplifier experiences

YMMV but I have found my Quads to be extremely sensitive to room placement, room treatment, and quality of gear upstream, more so than any other speaker I've ever experienced. Once everything is "just exactly perfect" however, they are the most incredibly "real" sounding speakers I've ever heard as well.

Before doing anything else I would have them refurbished to their original state by a pro. You could go through 50amps and none will ever sound right if the panels aren't 100%.

Once you know your panels are good, I'd invest in a box of OC 703 insulation (about $120 for a bunch of panels) and $35 worth of acoustically transparent fabric and build some quick and dirty room treatments. Build some corner bass traps too - they were a HUGE improvement in my small basement listening room. Put some panels directly behind each speaker, and some behind your listening position. Don't worry about the side wall reflections as that will have the least sonic impact on the Quads.

Finally, experiment with speaker placement in the room, pulling them out angling etc. In my near field listing position I've gotten the best results by pulling them about 1/3 of the way into the room, putting a small object behind each back leg to tilt them forward (careful they don't fall face down), then toeing them in so that all of the corners of the panel are equidistant to my ear.

I've only tried an MC225 and a Marantz 8b so far on mine. The 225 was nice but the 8b was better, seemed like the Quads bass really tightened up with the 8b.

I had ESL 63's driven by Berning EA-230 triode monoblocks. It was superb. I think I read somewhere that the 63's were tested or voiced with the Berning amp.

I had ESL 63's driven by Berning EA-230 triode monoblocks. It was superb. I think I read somewhere that the 63's were tested or voiced with the Berning amp.

Unlikely. Peter Walker had moved well beyond tubes by this point, and had earlier proven through blind testing with a panel of "golden ears" that his transistor designs were indistinguishable from his earlier valve amplifiers. He had little patience for subjectivist nonsense.

The QUAD 405, sold from 1975 to 1993, was without doubt the amplifier QUAD would have used, and is ideal for driving the ESL-63's today.

Unlikely. Peter Walker had moved well beyond tubes by this point, and had earlier proven through blind testing with a panel of "golden ears" that his transistor designs were indistinguishable from his earlier valve amplifiers. He had little patience for subjectivist nonsense.

The QUAD 405, sold from 1975 to 1993, was without doubt the amplifier QUAD would have used, and is ideal for driving the ESL-63's today.
Dang it!! :)

I used an HK Citation 5 on my first pair of Quads (late seventies) and a BGW 620B (making sure not to turn it up to loud) on my second pair (2016). The second rig sounded better to my ears but they both sounded wonderful.

Attachments

• 20160525_201738.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 7
I've had ESL-57's for quite a while. When I first got them the HT supply was all but dead and the tweeter panels had arced. I sent the panels off to Wayne Piquet at Quads Unlimited to be rebuilt, and also got new HT diode ladders from him, and zener clamp protection boards too.

I have used a wide range of amps on the ESL-57' (I know that's not really their name, but it disambiguates them nicely.)

MY FAVORITE: H-K Citation II with all the McShane mods.
SECOND FAVE: Forte 4a with Soderburg mods
THIRD FAVE: Pair of Monarchy SM-70's (the original real class A ones)
Honorable mention: AMC CVT-2030 hybrid MOSFET /EL-34 amp. (Great sound but runs out of steam.)
Valiant Effort: Heathkit SA-2 EL-84 integrated amp. Sounded OK but veiled.
SORT OF OK: NAD 2400 (sounded dark but otherwise OK)
SORT OF OK: Sugden A25 - good sound but runs out of steam

I DID NOT LIKE: Marantz 240, Dynaco ST-70, AMC CVT-2100, Mr. Liang Audio 300b/845 SET, FirstWatt F5, Audioromy FU-29, Yamaha A700, Yamaha CA-1000 in class A or Class AB, N.E.W. (Nirvana Electronics Works) A20, Monarchy SM70 PRO, Adcom 555 MK II, Parasound HCA 1000

Last edited:
Picked up this ONIX A120 on the weekend. Quite a looker, dual mono design. It's the first amp I think I've ever owned that wasn't ruler flat; it apparently has an audiophile "sonic signature" or some such foolishness. Which appears to mean it is slightly boosted in the bass region.

Anyhow, it sounds pretty much like any other competently designed amp, except perhaps a bit more bass, but would need to ABX test it to be certain. Not going to the trouble to do that... It drives the ESL-63s nicely, with far more power reserve than I'll ever use.

IMG_20160918_150452.jpg

I've had ESL-57's for quite a while. When I first got them the HT supply was all but dead and the tweeter panels had arced. I sent the panels off to Wayne Piquet at Quads Unlimited to be rebuilt, and also got new HT diode ladders from him, and zener clamp protection boards too.

I have used a wide range of amps on the ESL-57' (I know that's not really their name, but it disambiguates them nicely.)

Honorable mention: AMC CVT-2030 hybrid MOSFET /EL-34 amp. (Great sound but runs out of steam.)

I DID NOT LIKE: Marantz 240, Dynaco ST-70, AMC CVT-2100, Mr. Liang Audio 300b/845 SET, FirstWatt F5, Audioromy FU-29, Yamaha A700, Yamaha CA-1000 in class A or Class AB, N.E.W. (Nirvana Electronics Works) A20, Monarchy SM70 PRO, Adcom 555 MK II, Parasound HCA 1000

I am running a restored Heathkit SA-2 with my Quad 57's. At first I liked it. This was my first tube amp, and the first I tried with the Quads. The sound was organic and "real" although the volume was "somewhat" limited...still went plenty loud. Then it started getting some static and one or both channels would get quiet. Now my ears have been plugged up for a few weeks but I think there's either an amp or speaker issue, or it's just not a good pair. It sounds almost distorted (but again, the plugged up ears). Will play around with it some more, but I think an amp change is likely in the future. I tried the Heathkit because I read it had "balls" for only a 14wpc amp...not doubting that, just maybe not quite enough balls for the Quads (for my tastes).

I had several pairs of the Quad 57's, including 4 of them in a "stacked" stereo set-up. Each speaker had it's own Quad 22 power amp, using the KT66 tubes. It's the best match ever. I tried the Quad 303 SS amps, and they were nowhere close. Nor was the Quad 405.

At this point I'm thinking a Monarchy SM-70 Pro. I think I need to stay solid state with this system. I listen to it for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week...just a little concerned about tube life I guess? I have a line on some 150 wpc Dared tube amps at a more than outstanding price but I think those are quite a bit overkill (power wise) for the Quads.

Avoid tubes @ all cost given your viewing/listening schedule. Most output tubes will only last 2K to 5K hrs. I don't really want to hear about tube age beyond that. Someone will chime in that they have used the same output tubes since their circumcision.

Avoid tubes @ all cost given your viewing/listening schedule. Most output tubes will only last 2K to 5K hrs. I don't really want to hear about tube age beyond that. Someone will chime in that they have used the same output tubes since their circumcision.

Thanks for input! Do you think solid state Class A will be okay? I know there is the "heat" issue. Right now I'm using Class A/B integrated amp, fed by tube preamp/buffer...I think tubes just went out on that thing but luckily those are cheap, I don't mind replacing the two tubes in that, twice per year or so.

While we're on the topic of tubel ife, In my main system, I just got a Juicy Blueberry tube preamp...it has a Standby feature. Should I leave that in Standby or turn it completely off? I will listen to it on most days, but sporadically. I'd say average 1-2 hours/day.

@Crestwood23 what do you do with your Juicy preamp? Standby or completely off?

I wonder how much tube life worldwide has been sacrificed to the confused notion that X watts is sonically inferior to X + 3 watts.

Thanks for input! Do you think solid state Class A will be okay? I know there is the "heat" issue. Right now I'm using Class A/B integrated amp, fed by tube preamp/buffer...I think tubes just went out on that thing but luckily those are cheap, I don't mind replacing the two tubes in that, twice per year or so.

While we're on the topic of tubel ife, In my main system, I just got a Juicy Blueberry tube preamp...it has a Standby feature. Should I leave that in Standby or turn it completely off? I will listen to it on most days, but sporadically. I'd say average 1-2 hours/day.

@Crestwood23 what do you do with your Juicy preamp? Standby or completely off?

I turn mine completely off, but I'm not able to listen as often as you do. I think standby puts very little wear on the tubes, so if you know your going to be able to listen throughout the day I'd fire it up in the AM and leave it in standby. Probably puts less wear on the tubes than turning them on and off repeatedly. Bonus is the BB sounds extra sweet when's fully warmed up.

I appreciate this list. Was going to go for a Monarchy SM70 Pro but I see you liked the earlier Monarchy better. I would have thought the later ones would be "better." Would love to hear more about this if you have any further details. A Monarchy amp is the leading candidate for me right now, partially because of cost, partially to "avoid tubes" at least for now in this system (except for the cheap ones in my DIY preamp).

Got the Monarchy SM 70 in today (original version...MK1 I guess you could call it). Does sound very nice...plenty of power, quite smooth. Can't say definitively if there is a huge improvement over the Sherbourn, but at least I won't be 2nd guessing whether it's a good match any longer, or whether I could "do better." That counts for something! Man it does sound good. There is a low-level hum, which I read can be cured by lifting a ground...it's not audible with music on though, so I'll likely leave it alone.

It's also much smaller than I thought it would be! Not really much bigger than my Sherbourn.

The more I listen to this Quad/Monarchy combo, the more I like it. Not quite as much "tube magic" as when I had a true tube amp in place...sounds maybe slightly more "analytical" than the true tube amp...but that's being REALLY nit-picky. Overall I'm much more satisfied with the Monarchy than either the tube amp (Heathkit integrated) or the Sherbourn PA 2-50. Drums seem to have more "snap," timbre a little more realistic than with the Sherbourn, good transients...this may be a "forever" pairing, as long as I'm listening to this system for 8 hours/day in my office. I can't imagine it getting much better...at least amp-wise. Of course there's still gains to be made with room treatments/EQ, possible addition of a DAC and/or better preamp down the line.

Put me down for a +1 on the Monarchy SM 70 + Quad 57 combo.

I've tried quite a few amps on Quads over the years, and imo they are not overly amp sensitive, but reveal eough to make amp ( and preamp) selection fun & worth spending time on.
Here's a quick overview of my experience;

When I had '57s, traded in on '63s in the early eighties, I ran mostly Dynacos. ST70, MrkIII (VanAlstine Mods), and IVs... they all sounded great driving those double '57s.
They were also my first amps running the '63s, and they served them really well too, but by then there were more "high end" options hitting the market, so I started to experiment.

First, an ARC, can't remember the exact model... basically a "souped up" st70. I thought at the time that it improved base definition a little, and high end extension.

Then I got a Luxman M-12... much better in base, maybe a little less sweet on top, but overall an improvement.

Then a Conrad Johnson MV-52... sweeter on top - really lovely actually, but back to a little too much upper base, like the Dynacos & ARC.

Then a few lager SS amps, B&K, Adcom, Audire, Counterpoint, CJ, Krell, Bryston, Hafler etc.... only the Adcom dissaponted me -sounded thin, and at least once emitted a scary sound, so I quickly repaced it.

Then I jumped on the hyper detail bandwagon & bought some MartinLogan CLSs, and a Spectral DMA50 (at the time, the Absolute Sound was talking up that combo). Ended up liking the amp more than the speakers, and the little Spectral is one of the best amps I've ever heard!

To date, the Luxman B-12s & M-12s, and Spectral DMA 50 are my favorites on my '63s

Sorry if I've run on, but it's fun to reminisce!

Back
Top Bottom