question about cartridge/stylus

Jason!978

I have recently bought a Philips 677 turntable and it's really doing good so far. The question is it came with an Audio Technica AT88E cartridge/stylus. I think this cartridge/stylus is no longer produced, so I was wondering if there are any stylus's that will fir the AT88E cartridge? Or if I am better off buying a new cartridge/stylus? I am considering the Nagaoka MP-110 it is around $110 and I've seen nothing but good reviews. Also this headshell on this turntable is not the straight kind of headshell it is a curved/bent type, that goes on a straight arm turntable and I was wondering what headshell is recommended for this? I see the replacement for the Audio Technica LP3 is similar but not sure if it will fit exactly. I am not an expert at this stuff yet, I've never set up a stylus but I went to vinyl engine and downloaded a protractor, I might just buy one for $10 on amazon though as the paper one didn't really print out the right size, and a real one might be easier to use. But thought I'd see if the AT88E is worth buying a stylus for or if I should just go with something totally new, I am not sure if the AT88E was a high or low end stylus/cartridge, it sounds decent, but I am unsure how much of that is the new preamp I bought the Art DJpre 2 phono preamp and it really helped I think.

You can get generic styli for 15 bucks, and AT styli for about 50. If the stylus on the cartridge now is long in the tooth, I'd suggest getting a generic and using it until you have a better sense of what you are looking for. Cartridges have their own sound, and appeal to different tastes. And different cartridges work better or worse in different arms. Until you know what you like, and whether is will work well in the Philips, 110 is a lot of money to spend as a shot in the dark.
I believe the 677 headshell is a proprietary Philips shell, so if you want two of them, you may need to look around a bit. Because electronic tables like the 677 are prone to problems, and because the style in tables has changed, you might be able to pick up a donor table cheaper than simply buying a headshell.

Best choice for your cartridge is a 629-DE from Voice of Music. It will set you back a whole $12, and make your AT sound way better than it has a right too.

Actual experience, which seems to be what Bigaltx24 has, is better than any theorizing. I'd go for it.

Don't forget to check with our advertiser, Organ Donor Parts. I have gotten two scarce headshells from them. :thumbsup:

Haha I just hope this one last until I can save up enough to get the VIP turntable I really want will take me some time to save up the $1,000 It cost

Haha I just hope this one last until I can save up enough to get the VIP turntable I really want will take me some time to save up the $1,000 It cost

Hope the $1000.00 VPI Nomad turn table will out perform the Philips 677.

Do a test drive first! :)

I've come across several of the highly electronic Philips that didn't work, or didn't work completely. I don't know of any specific reason for this, and I certainly don't have any reason to think the 677 is particularly vulnerable, but complex electronics are more prone to problems - age, lightning strike (B&O is notorious for this), humidity, high temperature or whatever - than simpler devices. Philips turntables usually had specifications and performance that was remarkable for the price - the electronics allowed them to shave weight from the platter, which than allowed a lighter bearing and spindle (and shipping costs) while achieving good wow and flutter - but complexity presents its own challenges.

I have been playing a lot of records on the new turntable and it sounds good with one exception when there is a lot of cymbal or high music it gets all kind of sounding not so good. Not sure how to describe it maybe it's what I've seen others say is splatter? I have not bought a new stylus/cartridge yet but I think I will go with the Nagaoka mp- 110. I am not confeconcerned about it being $1!0 because this turntable I think I will keep for many years I don't plan to get anything else as long as this one runs. It sounds better after running the stylus and breaking it in with the e?caption of highs. I think a good cart might fix this or am I wrong?

Back
Top Bottom