Question about Mc 240

kennyno

OK I have another problem, I powered up my 240 for the first time.
Which was sold as working as new. The 6L6 second from the front of the amp lit up
like spot light and went out . When I checked the tube the center post of the tube was gone
and the fuse was blown. After removing the bottom cover of amp I found the Thermistor
was broken apart also.
My question is could the broken center post of the tube have caused the fuse to blow and the Thermistor to break apart.OR do you think I have bigger problems with my eBay jewel ?
I am taking it to a qualified tech to be gone through .

I suspect that the tube was inserted incorrectly as the center post was missing.
As a result, something bad happened to it, causing the fuse to blow.

For the thermistor, when they are old then tend to break apart. This is common and should be replaced.
I don't think the 2 events can be correlated.

At a minimum, I would replace the thermistor, the fuse and put a new 6L6 in and have a tech start it under a variac.

When I bought my first MC30 I pulled a power tube and found the older 6L6s have a separate plastic plate/center post that easily slides off the tube. The first time I pulled a power tube I noticed no center post. It was still in the socket. I had to carefully pull the other tube to figure out how to reorient the center post plastic plate over the correct pins. Check the socket hopefully you will find the center pin.

Back
Top Bottom