Question regarding DAC vs A/V Receiver

MaxSeven

Word Skeptic
Can one use an A/V receiver instead of a dedicated outboard DAC to convert the bitstream from a source?

My situation is as follows:

I bought a Wadia iTransport and am looking for a decent DAC to go with it. I do not want to spend a fortune on a DAC though. I recently came accross a Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX (for around $300), and examined the owner's manual. It appears to have digital inputs for DAC. So I'm thinking that it would be a better value to just get the Pioneer, instead of a single purpose DAC.

What would you do?

Definately a possibility, were you going to use the pioneer as your pre/pro/controller? Wouldn't work very well if you were going to run analog out of that to a separate volume control...

Definately a possibility, were you going to use the pioneer as your pre/pro/controller? Wouldn't work very well if you were going to run analog out of that to a separate volume control...

Well, I wasn't sure about that. The Pioneer does have a full spread of preamp out's on it. So I was thinking I would wire the analog to my Rotel preamp via that. But the array of pre-outs on the Pioneer is multi channel, so I'm wondering if two-channel sound is going to be mixed into 7 channel? Or does the receiver automatically detect that the signal is not multi (surround)?

But, I suppose I could just eliminate the Rotel and use the Pioneer instead? Am I asking for less of a 'pure' signal if I use an A/V receiver instead of a Preamp?

Oh it's getting confusing now!

Your receiver should have a stereo/2-channel mode. Depending on the layout - the 2 channel can be good or bad. Some receivers pass the analog signal through multiple ICs while others use a by-pass mode to reduce signal degradation. For the money, a dedicated pre-amp 'should' have better performance vs. a receiver as it is asked to do much less.

Either route you're considering will work. I'd guess - though I don't know from personal experience with the Pioneer - that the Pioneer DAC section could be bettered by a stand-alone DAC for the same money. Of course, then you don't get the other facilities of the receiver.

After some consideration, I think I may just go for a dedicated single pupose DAC. Somehow, a full-fledged AV receiver in my setup would look out of place. Like that song in Sesame Street -- 'One of these things, is not like the other, one of these things is not the same...'

Now to find an inexpensive DAC. I'm considering this Firestone unit:

http://www.miniatureaudio.com/spitfire.html

Anyone have one of these?

I would go with an outbound line-level dac that doesnt have a volume control if you are going to a separate controller/pre.

If the pioneer will be your end-gain stage before amplification, then I would use the Pioneer.

Go for the MDA1000 :)

I would go with an outbound line-level dac that doesnt have a volume control if you are going to a separate controller/pre.

If the pioneer will be your end-gain stage before amplification, then I would use the Pioneer.

Go for the MDA1000 :)

Doesn't the MDA1000 cost several thousand dollars???

That's a no-go for me, I can't see the return on investment.

Max,

Check out the DAC's at pacificvalve. They have some nice affordable options that can compete with the big boys. I have the Musiland MD-10, and it supports optical, BNC, Coaxial and even USB! Also, it features selectable bit depth (16, 20 and 24).

All in all, it is a fun little toy to play around with. It does wonders to my digital media!

Edit: Also, check out Head-fi for all the DAC impressions you will ever need. My head is still spinning from that place! :D

Max,

Check out the DAC's at pacificvalve. They have some nice affordable options that can compete with the big boys. I have the Musiland MD-10, and it supports optical, BNC, Coaxial and even USB! Also, it features selectable bit depth (16, 20 and 24).

All in all, it is a fun little toy to play around with. It does wonders to my digital media!

Edit: Also, check out Head-fi for all the DAC impressions you will ever need. My head is still spinning from that place! :D

Thanks for the tip - that's a great site (pacificvalve.us), and very reasonable prices! I like that Musiland and I think I may order it.

No problem, Max. You won't be disappointed with the Musiland. Very smooth, detailed and dynamic sound. Looks nice, too!

It's ambush alley and a shark convention out there, littered with manufacturers and their staff. Good impartial advise is hard to come by. I rather put my trust in AK.
Other good sources are the audio manufacturers forums such as Linn, Naim, Slime Devices, etc. Audiophiles regularly mention which DAC performed well with their setup, even when that DAC is not part of the brand of equipment tied to the forum.

Back
Top Bottom