Rabco ST6, ST7, ST8 Owners unite! We need a club room!

I believe the bulbs are GE 1302 mini type with 6.3 watt and .04 amp. There
are lots of 6.3 but be careful of the amps. .04 is .40 micro amp but a .40
amp is 400 micro amps. get the decimal right. I found some GE 1402s with
a 5000 hour life. Believe the standard 1302 is 500 hours. These are not
screw in type but are the baynet type with two little tits on each side
of the bottom . The Radio Shack 6.3 watt bult is the wrong amperage
and only has a 15 hour life.

Hi - the radio shack packaging says life of 3000 hours for the screw mount 6.3v version (rs code 272-1128). My interpretation of current rating is what it can use, not what it will use.

The REVOX Linatrack appears a refinement of the original RABCO electric servo tracking system with a bi-directional light gate sensor instead of a simple single sensor switch and a unipivot cartridge carrier instead of the RABCO's gimbal arm. The Technics LTs are closer to the RABCO, with a gimbal arm and uni-directional light gate sensor. All cable driven LTs originated in the RABCO electric servo drive, the Pioneer LT was one exception with a linear magnetic motor drive. The RABCO skew-wheel mechanical drive as used on the ST6,7, & 8 appears original and not used anywhere else.

Last edited:
Would like to join the Rabco rabble. :D I have an SL-8E mounted on a DC servo controlled belt drive Sony TTS-3000A. Pretty much had this setup since 1972 or '73. Started out with the original Sony PUA-237 arm, and when I could I sold it for the Rabco. Playin' it ever since with no regrets. Will try to get some pictures up later.

Jim

I'd like to join also

I have a TD125MKII with a Rabco Sl-8E on it and loving it. This runs through a Sony pre amp and a Golden Tube Audio SE-40SE amp and then in to me

The RABCO skew-wheel mechanical drive as used on the ST6,7, & 8 appears original and not used anywhere else.

Not exactly true. The pre Harmon/Kardon Rabco ST-4 turntable used a variant of the skew-wheel mechanical drive that works quite well. I have 2 of these.

Just picked up my first ST7 and an initial question. The Rabco name plate on the arm. How does it properly attach? When I unpacked this unit the plate came off with the painter blue tape holding the arm in place for shipping. Does it just sit there? Seems that's the only way I can determine. Thanks, there will be more questions I can assure you.
---
added 09/04
Another question. When the arm reaches the end of the lp it does not immediately shut down. Takes between 10-15 additional seconds. In the meantime the stylus is against the label. Is this normal behavior or should it be quicker? Thanks.

Last edited:
Sorry!! If you are still around..... The plastic sides of the carriage hold it in like a snap system, however after it comes out, you may have to spread them apart a bit to get it back in, as it actually helps keep the correct shape of the assembly.

I have been away for.... ever.... if anyone knows of Techmoan on youtube, I sent him a note recommending this design for a video on his retro tech channel.

i'm in the process of packing my st8 to send it to a fellow in ohio
i have an st7 for parts if anyone is interested
i started with the st6 then the st8
nice turntable but kind of got tired of it
currently running a denon dp1200 with a benz ace m

Well it's not an ST6, ST7, or ST8, but it is an ST5. It has the upper drive spindle and a metal roller. Never have to adjust it the thing just works. Use it everyday.

IMG_0345.jpg

Are Rabco ST-4 owners allowed in this club? :) As @Phototone says, the Harman-Kardon linears got their design from the ST-4, possibly with input from the SL-8E arm. My ST-4 tracks to a basic degree, though I'm sure it needs some sort of work (particularly in regards to the tonearm lift, which doesn't work properly at the moment). Here are some pictures of my ST-4:
rabco1.jpg

rabco2.jpg

rabco3.jpg

rabco4.jpg

rabco5.jpg

I never had any issue with my ST-4 tracking correctly. Just to be clear, the RABCO ST-4 was a product of RABCO alone. The Harmon Kardon Rabco series of turntables was a collaboration, or HK bought Rabco (not sure which).

I never had any issue with my ST-4 tracking correctly. Just to be clear, the RABCO ST-4 was a product of RABCO alone. The Harmon Kardon Rabco series of turntables was a collaboration, or HK bought Rabco (not sure which).
I should clarify. I've only done basic testing to my ST-4. Haven't had a chance to hook it to an amplifier yet, but have cued it up into the groove of a junker record, and what I heard from the stylus that came with it (condition currently unknown) as it tracked the groove sounded rather distorted. I've attempted to balance the arm, but wasn't able to get it to 'float' as I would've preferred.

When I cued the arm into the lead-out groove, the arm skewed dramatically towards the label until the stylus sat in the lockgroove. If I picked up the arm and increased the angle, the cueing bar lifted the arm, so that part of the circuitry seems to be working, but something seems to be up with the alignment of the optical sensor or perhaps something else. I have yet to examine the optical sensor, or find any information with regards to adjusting it (or anything else on this turntable, for that matter, as 'service information' about it beyond the original owner's manual seems to be rather scarce).

To the best of my knowledge, Harman-Kardon outright bought Rabco, but kept using the name on the linear-tracking turntables which followed. I also believe that Harman-Kardon continued to sell the ST-4 for some time after buying Rabco, though I'm not sure if that was before or after the sticker was added to the front right corner of the plinth.
-Adam

Anyone mind if I jump in 5 years after the last post?

Here's my story...

I saw an ad selling records on Craigslist for cheap, so I picked up about 35 albums for around $15 or so. Now the thing is, I didn't have a turntable. I have a cheap Sherwood receiver, and pretty decent (to me) pair of Advent Heritage speakers (as well as an older pair of Bose 201 speakers because they were only $25).

So at any rate, I put an ad on Craigslist in the Wanted section looking for a cheap (or free) turntable just so I could listen to the records:

"Hey! I'm posting this hoping someone will be able to help me. I received a bunch of records, but have no way of playing them. Just looking for a cheap/free turntable to hook up to my receiver. Thank you!"

So a gentleman responded and said he had an older linear tracking type turntable that I could have for free! As luck would have it, he gifted me a Harman/Kardon ST8 - complete with a Shure V15 Type IV cartridge!

I knew that H/K was a decent quality brand, but had no idea what I had just received. After a little research, I couldn't believe what he had given me! I'm incredibly ecstatic (and grateful) with this new (to me) piece of equipment. Also, he included two NOS ST7/8/etc. clear dust covers.

Now I'm gonna have to upgrade my receiver...

wmj42Hp.jpg

Dl5dZiW.jpg

UWBa8eI.jpg

check the search bar there are several threads on the st7 tables and some on replacing
the four lights with leds.
i up graded both my st7s with leds and the speeds are more stable and no more dead
light bulbs plus they even looks better.

Anyone mind if I jump in 5 years after the last post?

Here's my story...

I saw an ad selling records on Craigslist for cheap, so I picked up about 35 albums for around $15 or so. Now the thing is, I didn't have a turntable. I have a cheap Sherwood receiver, and pretty decent (to me) pair of Advent Heritage speakers (as well as an older pair of Bose 201 speakers because they were only $25).

So at any rate, I put an ad on Craigslist in the Wanted section looking for a cheap (or free) turntable just so I could listen to the records:

"Hey! I'm posting this hoping someone will be able to help me. I received a bunch of records, but have no way of playing them. Just looking for a cheap/free turntable to hook up to my receiver. Thank you!"

So a gentleman responded and said he had an older linear tracking type turntable that I could have for free! As luck would have it, he gifted me a Harman/Kardon ST8 - complete with a Shure V15 Type IV cartridge!

I knew that H/K was a decent quality brand, but had no idea what I had just received. After a little research, I couldn't believe what he had given me! I'm incredibly ecstatic (and grateful) with this new (to me) piece of equipment. Also, he included two NOS ST7/8/etc. clear dust covers.

Now I'm gonna have to upgrade my receiver...

wmj42Hp.jpg

Dl5dZiW.jpg

UWBa8eI.jpg
Very nice!

Back
Top Bottom