Radio Daze - McIntosh Termination

There are companies that serve aftermarket needs for vintage muscle cars of the 1960s. I wonder if they pay licensing fees to Ford, GM and FCA (Chrysler) etc in return for being able to produce parts for this niche vintage auto market?

In some cases, yes; less clear in others.

Someone once told me in cases of - for example - aftermarket reproduction front fenders for, say 64-67 Mustang, the product must be "materially different" than the OEM stock item. Usually this means the fenders are slightly undersized (oversized would not work for obvious reasons) and this variation prevents Ford from bringing a successful action. Part may be marketed "Will Fit 64-67 Ford Mustang" but in this case, the trademark name and logo are not integral to these body parts.

Items of trim/parts etc that do bear the Ford/Mustang name and/or logo, however, would definitely need to be specifically licensed.

I cannot say how true the story of the above is but I can say I found the gaps from fender-to-door and fender-to-hood on Mustangs to be noticeably wider than they are on cars where the fenders have not been replaced with aftermarket body panels.

In any case, I'd definitely want to know the whole story before pointing the dirty end of the stick at 'ol McIntosh.

Last edited:
In any case, I'd definitely want to know the whole story before pointing the dirty end of the stick at 'ol McIntosh.

There is unlikely to be a press release issued as to why Radio Daze pulled all the McIntosh dials off their site. :) The Marantz dials are still present. Pattern seems consistent with a McIntosh cease and desist letter. McIntosh of course has every right to defend their trademark if Radio Daze is reproducing the MAC logo without consent. But it's a shame that there may no longer be any dial glass options for vintage MAC stuff. MAC used some inferior tuner dial paint lettering back in the day which has not aged well and falls off if you look at it wrong. Also, the black paint McIntosh used on the glass is notorious for bubbling and self destructing.

This line was intended as a general statement - not directed towards any particular thread participant. :)

There is unlikely to be a press release issued as to why Radio Daze pulled all the McIntosh dials off their site. :) The Marantz dials are still present. Pattern seems consistent with a McIntosh cease and desist letter. McIntosh of course has every right to defend their trademark if Radio Daze is reproducing the MAC logo without consent. But it's a shame that there may no longer be any dial glass options for vintage MAC stuff. MAC used some inferior tuner dial paint lettering back in the day which has not aged well and falls off if you look at it wrong. Also, the black paint McIntosh used on the glass is notorious for bubbling and self destructing.

I believe RD was reproducing dials in Plexiglas rather genuine glass per OEM spec. Can't say whether that played any role. McIntosh does license certain vendors to reproduce McIntosh parts such as the man who came up with the ribbon connector replacement kit for the C32 preamplifier which had to meet Mc's approval before signing off.

It would be pure speculation to say where things went wrong between Radio Daze and McIntosh.

Last edited:
Pretty sure these "Can I make parts for that?" battles have been fought before, and as long as a trademarked logo or such isn't included, you can. There might be some technicality where you can't physically copy the original, but have to generate it from scratch, say in CAD, but I'm not sure about that. The problem is big companies can afford more lawyers than little companies.

I recall that someone was producing perfectly serviceable replacement parts for Rolex Oyster series watches minus the logo, Milano, IIRC.

Why bother restoring a unit if you can't get the dial glass. I'll never buy a McIntosh product again, used or new. Only a D bag company would do something like that. My MX 110 needs an alignment, I may just toss it into my garage and forget about it. In 50 years when I'm dead the new owners of my home can throw it in the dumpster along with my MR 67 and MA 230.

Somebody good with photoshop needs to make a bunch of peel and stick Mcintosh logos, both clear and opaque.

RadioDaze got caught breaking established U.S. laws regarding copyrights and trademarks........has McIntosh sued for damages or just had their lawyers seek a cease and desist......

I am sure if the need is truly there a new entity might step up the correct way to fill the need.

I would expect more squealing as more American companies seek to protect their trademarks and intellectual property.....

Why bother restoring a unit if you can't get the dial glass. I'll never buy a McIntosh product again, used or new. Only a D bag company would do something like that. My MX 110 needs an alignment, I may just toss it into my garage and forget about it. In 50 years when I'm dead the new owners of my home can throw it in the dumpster along with my MR 67 and MA 230.

I understand your disappointment but think maybe you might be overreacting a bit (Just my opinion)

My ex used to (well maybe she still does?)
Work in IP law.
IIRC, if a company allows use of its trademarks in any way, it legally weakens their ability to protect and enforce.
Perhaps licencing would have worked legally but the #s couldn't be worked out.
In the scheme of things its a very small market.
I very easily see why it ended up the way it did.
I admit if I were looking for said reproduction I'd likely be bent.
I think audio clinique (?) Does periodic runs of reproductions. You might try.

Agreed and it's unfair to prejudge the issue without knowing both sides of the story.

One would hope McIntosh & Radio Dave could have come up with a mutually acceptable solution. The exact details of what transpired between the two we'll probably never know...

Send them to me or put them on BarterTown. A lot of new Mcintosh owners are happy to restore rust buckets just to get the sound.

Last edited:

I see you live not too far from me.......Seriously I can come up this weekend (choose yourself a convenient time) and I'll save you the trouble of storing those units and some poor soul from "tossing them in a dumpster 50 years from now". I'll also line your wallet with some fresh greenbacks for those old units from a "D bag company" for your troubles.

FWIW if I had busted glass on a vintage Mac unit not having their logo on it would be the least of my worries. If it did it would be easy enough to locate one of their small brass emblems, grind the 2 pins off the backside and superglue it where the logo is supposed to be. and presto there's your own custom vintage Mac unit

Back
Top Bottom