radios in the San Fran museum

Here's my favorite from 1959-1960. Zenith Royal 500H. I have one of each color.

DSCN0296a.JPG

Love that blue Sparton in the photos (even though there is a crack in the glass on the top). That colour of blue glass can never be made again. Glass is coloured by metal dopants that are added to the glass melt. Red is from gold, yellow is from cadmium. green is from iron and normal blue is from copper but the indigo colour here is from mercury. There is no way anyone would use a high vapour pressure toxic metal like mercury ever again.

I have visited the Hammond Museum in Guelph ON and it has a large collection of radios from the 191X to modern times and it is well worth seeing. It also has an online presence:

http://hammondmuseumofradio.org/

The headphones in the 1st pic are Baldwin type "C", the factory was 20 blocks down the street from where we lived.

Still got a cathedral Philco that I turn on occasionally. Listening to some rock on the local station sounds so weird coming outta it when I do.

That bug radio looks like it came from Tut's Tomb.

Q

I bought a Regency TR-1 at a yard sale for $7 and flipped it on ebay for about $300. That was my "Antiques Roadshow" moment. :) A real collector's item; some of the rarer models go for up to $1,000.

Back
Top Bottom