RCA Adapter Question

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by YamahaFreak, Feb 29, 2012.

  1. YamahaFreak

    YamahaFreak Super Member

    I am looking for a specific adapter to do a specific job, and Google searches are sketchy. I need an adapter that will take a stereo (2x RCA) cable and make it a mono (1x RCA) without removing either channel. A combiner, effectively. I basically need a way to run a stereo source into a mono amp/speaker without losing anything. If someone could point me in the direction of the cheapest way to do this, I would be most appreciative. :yes:
  2. petehall347

    petehall347 the brandy coffee man

    one of these should do it ..
    rca splitter ..


    or one of these ...
  3. drknstrmyknight

    drknstrmyknight AK Subscriber Subscriber

    Search for Y cables
  4. YamahaFreak

    YamahaFreak Super Member

    Thank you!

    petehall, were there supposed to be links in your post?

    After browsing more of this board, I fear I may have posted in the wrong area. :D
  5. ilusndweller

    ilusndweller Super Member

    Is it this simple? I thought you needed some type of electronics or circuit to sum the L and R channel.
  6. Duckzilla

    Duckzilla "Laugh it up fuzzball"

    +2, thought a y-cable was to split one signal into two identical signals. You're not going to get a mono signal from hooking the left and right together, surely?

    BMWCCA AK Subscriber Subscriber

    I'd call that a short! :yikes:
  8. Uncle Paul

    Uncle Paul AK Subscriber Subscriber

    Not as bad as you might think, but not the best solution. If both outputs are from the same line level device they share a common ground, so usually the voltages will sum just fine and result in a mono signal. The output impedance, however, will be lower since both will be in parallel. Usually there will be a buffer following the sum to set the output impedance, but you won't get that out of a cable.
  9. VinylRob

    VinylRob Vinylphile

    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

    In fact I read, Art Dudley recommended two Y adapters connected at the (combined) single end tail side to sum a Stereo feed to dual Mono feed as a cheap and simple way to enjoy Mono recordings on a Stereo system.

    Happy Listening!:beatnik:
  10. YamahaFreak

    YamahaFreak Super Member

    It may have been a good idea to elaborate on why I needed this done. x3

    I have an old Webcor 4905 two-way amplified speaker (vacuum tube amp) and want to use it with stereo sources. It's got one 'LO' input and one 'HI' input, both a single mono RCA jack. I need to sum the two (stereo) RCA cables from my stereo sources into the single (mono) input on the amp, without losing anything. So far, I am using a generic 2-to-1 RCA adapter cable, and it seems right, but the sound is off a bit, and I just can't put my finger on why. Both channels DO seem to be there...:scratch2:
  11. stu49

    stu49 New Member

    I made one using the lead from an old set of headphones. Worked perfectly for years feeding mono vcr into stereo amp.
    Much easier to buy 2rca male -1 rca male. They are readily available.


Share This Page