RCA Phono Plugs! Neutrik vs. WBT

Tharbamar

Hi Everyone!

I was looking to replace 20yrs old RCA plugs from my Denon DP47F TT, a lot of people are recommending WBT, Neutrik, Canare, Furutech etc.,

So I bought WBT plugs for my TT and it is a big improvement over 20yrs old original plugs.

My System:
Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra NrT Towers.
Analog: Denon DP47F & TEAC TN-300 Turntables.
Phono Pre: Parasound ZPhono.
Digital: Marantz UD-7007 SACD/HiRes Player.
Pre: Parasound Halo P5.
Amp: Parasound Halo A21.
AudioQuest Cables.
PS Audio Power Cords.

Music: SADE "The Best Of SADE", Steely Dan "Aja"
AQ Diamondbacks and King Cobra RCAs both were used for this experiment.

With WBT Midline RCA plugs I hear bigger soundstage,clean crisp sound, fine detail, instruments were better focussed and overall sounded like CD (somewhat) but still has a rich tonal of vinyl to my ears but not my favorite sound for sure.

I had it for almost two weeks, I wanted to change it but the price I paid for is holding me back because I wanted to use the best possible I could but I'm not liking the sound.

So, I ordered Neutrik ProFi to try it out, it's much more economical compare to WBT plugs.

Neutrik ProFi's came in the morning and installed it right away in the afternoon.
Right out of the box Neutrik surprise me with significantly better instrumental separation and wider soundstage.
Bass seemed to be more define and more weight on each notes, definately more than with WBT's. It is very well balanced neutral sound, Mids were great and found what I was looking for, may not looks good as WBTs but it has the sound I like.

In my honest opinion Neutrik ProFi's are better built quality and I like the unique strain relief system. I never thought of RCA phono plugs can make difference in sound but I found out it can change the sound signature of my rig with these little minor changes, I think I'll be using these RCA plugs for my future DIY cables.

Also Neutrik’s made a much better connection and the value.
If someone is looking for RCA connectors I would recommend Neutrik ProFi plugs without hesitation.

Happy Listening.
:music:
BTW: English is my second language.

Neutrik makes great stuff!

I can pretty much guaranty that they are the finest connector manufacturer in the Principality of Liechtenstein. And, surprisingly, not overpriced.

:lurk:

I like the ground before hot connection and the breaking of hot before ground on removal. The ¼" phone plug does this and the amps that have that input can be disconnected while turned on and connected to the speakers without making that horrible noise that sounds like the entire system will never work again.

How tightly do they fit?

1 to 10 scale, ten being tightest I put these RCAs at 6.

I like the ground before hot connection and the breaking of hot before ground on removal. The ¼" phone plug does this and the amps that have that input can be disconnected while turned on and connected to the speakers without making that horrible noise that sounds like the entire system will never work again.

Yes I really like that feature too, until now I've been missing out from good stuff.

1 to 10 scale, ten being tightest I put these RCAs at 6.

Yes I really like that feature too, until now I've been missing out from good stuff.

Thanks for that.
I had a period where my recording partner had me using these high end cables. They had 8/9 of 10 on that scale for tight fittings, and they started breaking the RCA jacks on the gear. Fortunately they were loaners, and I didn't have to learn that lesson the expensive way.
I found ends and raw cable that worked fine, and, would never hurt gear; lets call them a 5 on the same scale; snug, but didn't require two hands to remove.
The others, I was wondering about needing pliers or a crow bar.

I've only used Rean Neutrik (their cheaper line) RCA plugs with inexpensive Mogami wire, and it produced noticeably crisper sound. Even the Mogami wire with generic Redco plugs gave me great results at a fraction of the price. Though in the grand scheme of things, $18 for a pair of Neutriks to upgrade your turntable is a great price to performance ratio.

for the price they are pretty good. i think a lot of the neutrik connector are good bang for your buck connectors.

i recently tried the KLE silver plated copper RCAs and they are very good as well. bit more in price though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've not seen mention of Canare, as cable, or their connectors.
Cble: L4E6S low-capacitance mic cable -and- F09 RCA ends.
Totally affordable in both instances; Half of what I've seen mentioned here for the Neutrik connectors.
At any rate,... I build all of my own cables from these stock items, and am totally satisfied.

I've not seen mention of Canare, as cable, or their connectors.
Cble: L4E6S low-capacitance mic cable -and- F09 RCA ends.
Totally affordable in both instances; Half of what I've seen mentioned here for the Neutrik connectors.
At any rate,... I build all of my own cables from these stock items, and am totally satisfied.

Canare L-2T2S 2 conductor (non-star quad) is also a good choice unless noise is a concern. A little cheaper than L4E6S, and lower capacitance. Both are very flexible and come in colors. Markertek sells both by the foot.

The Canare F09 and the Switchcraft 3502A are top quality cheap RCA plugs.

I bought a couple of bulk reels of the L4E6S stuff. I have hundreds of feet of balanced of XLR cable that I can break put when needed (remote recording). That kept the pricing point bordering on the cheap category.
I generally remove the cable relief spring; that part of the F09, I'm not so fond of. I remove the spring, and heat on a piece of heat-shrink that fits over the cable relief "jaws".
I don't bother with the tech-flex cover.
This pair just happens to be blue. I added the red zip tie, for differentiation.
L4E6S cables and F09 ends, fwiw:
canare_rca_zps57d405b7.jpg

Last edited:
Mine look like this:

profi-uebersicht.jpg

I still have two pair of these left to make one more set of cables.

A finished set:

IMG_20150416_023511 (Small).jpg

I would bet there is little or no difference. These are quite sturdy, although I wonder how that spring loaded ground will hold up over time.

I would bet there is little or no difference. These are quite sturdy, although I wonder how that spring loaded ground will hold up over time.

Probably quite well unless you are moving them frequently. Springs don't lose strength by remaining in compression, it's cycles of compression and relaxation that wears them out.

Funny, I am shopping for copper-based RCAs now, and just took one of these sets out of my system. The silver-plated copper cable was driving me nuts. ;)

Probably quite well unless you are moving them frequently. Springs don't lose strength by remaining in compression, it's cycles of compression and relaxation that wears them out.

I'm thinking more of things losing contact inside. But so far, so good.

My turntable has a smaller ground post than my receiver. Can I find cables that have different ground diameters? Neutrik are top notch. All of my XLR cables and my snake are neutrik.

Back
Top Bottom