RCA RS-193F...scratchy

ToxicTele

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Absolute noob with a couple of RCA pulls. RS-193F and a RS-193D, both SE with a pair of 6BQ5's, a 6EU7 and a 5Y3GT rectifier. Geez, now I feel smart that I was able to identify the tubes. The RS-193F powered up so that's a good thing. I originally didn't have sound out of one channel so I replaced the .047 caps and the .25 6wv cap. That brought up both channel's but one is weak and really distorted without any bass. Speakers that it is hooked to are a pair of DIY Fusion 8's that are fairly efficient. Please be gentle, about all I know in the tube world is that one end of a soldering gun is hot, and I learned that the hard way - twice. Any ideas as to why one channel would be weak or distorted and the other channel like butter smooth?

FYI, this is my 1st post on this great web site. I have plenty of SS equipment but really want to get back to the earth of the audio world. These two pulls are my first project. Hopefully I can get these singing before I move up to a Dynaco, Citation or some other audio nirvana that we all seek. Any and all opine's are welcome. Thank you!

Oops, forgot to add that I switched speaker wires around and the distortion followed. So that rules out a bad wire, and I guess maybe, probably a bad tube??

Could be a tube - you can switch the 6BQ5s or try the 6EU7 from the other amp. May also be resistors which have changed value over time. Either way, voltage measurements will narrow down the problem.

Thank you Tom. I swapped the 6BQ's but didn't consider swapping the the 6EU. I also ordered basically every resistor that I could understand from the schematic. As soon as they show up I'll swap those (if the 6EU swap doesn't work) And again, much appreciated!

I rescued the exact same console from the rain and certain destruction a few weeks ago. I wrestled into the back of my trusty Highlander and it was then I smelled it, NICOTENE. Oh, and the rain loosened substance turned my hands yellow.
It has taken me a great deal of time, vinegar, and paper towels to wipe that s#$t off.
I did fire it up, and no sparks,smoke or funny smells. AM works, FM no go, mono or stereo, and TT, well it just sat there.....
I've pulled and carefully cleaned the amp as well, and purchased a couple of .0047 caps for starters. I wont replace the waxies right off the bat.
I'm dug in on this. I have researched a bit and have the schematics.
First move is replacing the power cord with a hefty three prong.
Bit of a noob to tube amps, but not dangerously so.
Cheers.

Holy smokes,,tis a slippery slope old Moke. You tapped my original 1st post when I picked up my first tube amp. 2 years later and I look around at two eico ST70's, a dynaco ST35, Pas3x preamp, Fisher FM-100-B, Fisher 440a, 3 motorola HS711's, 2 RCA 193's, another RCA (forgot the nomenclature), 9 turntables,,and I won't even get started on the SS gear. So yeah,,slippery slope but oh so enjoyable. I now only have one solder burn from two days ago. I think I am learning. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom